First rebuild, 372xp, here we go!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hopefully a few members can help with spare parts .........i just did a bb on my 362 never been to the crank in a saw though have fun take your time

No loose pieces of metal anywhere in the engine? Then was there evidence the cylinder had been off. Sounds like someone knew the crank was bad since they removed the loose pieces.

I did some reading and got to thinking about it a little more. When you pull a cylinder, how hard should it be to remove. I see that some people have a little trouble at this point. Not only were the screws not torqued, but the cylinder slid right off.

I am hoping that it was pulled apart, this was discovered, and they left it alone. No big deal as it stands I do not believe as long as there are no other major issues that I am unable to see. Like I said, everything seems fine, but that is coming from an beginner. Hope I am right.

I will post more pictures as I progress so the experts can examine it.

Thanks,

Adam

PS: Nice Fred LOL

I did some reading and got to thinking about it a little more. When you pull a cylinder, how hard should it be to remove. I see that some people have a little trouble at this point. Not only were the screws not torqued, but the cylinder slid right off.

I am hoping that it was pulled apart, this was discovered, and they left it alone. No big deal as it stands I do not believe as long as there are no other major issues that I am unable to see. Like I said, everything seems fine, but that is coming from an beginner. Hope I am right.

I will post more pictures as I progress so the experts can examine it.

Thanks,

Adam

PS: Nice Fred LOL

i have pulled the cylinders off of 3 husky saws, a 372xpw, a 365 special, and a 371xp. and after all the bolts and boot where undone the cylinders slide off very easy. like if you where to tip the saw upsidedown and shake it, the cylinders would slide off.
i think the difficulty comes into play when the engine is seized.

i have pulled the cylinders off of 3 husky saws, a 372xpw, a 365 special, and a 371xp. and after all the bolts and boot where undone the cylinders slide off very easy. like if you where to tip the saw upsidedown and shake it, the cylinders would slide off.
i think the difficulty comes into play when the engine is seized.

That is good to know and thanks for the response.

So I guess I have put some sort of plan together. So far this is what I am thinking...

OEM crank, bearings, and seals
OEM piston and rings
New gasket set and carb rebuild kit
Fuel line, fuel filter, air filter

Then I am going to ship it off and have a nice work saw port done to it. As long as the stock cyliner is ok I will use it, if not I may go with the OEM 51.4mm. Other than that I will just need to make or get a few tools that I do not have.

Now here is where I will try to screw this up. I am someone who loves instant gratification. I have already told myself that this is going to be a slow, learning project. If I can take my own advice I think everything will turn out great.

Adam

Well, I have been searching around and have decided to make a couple of tools instead of buy them. Thanks oldsaw's thread (http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=51001&highlight=365+bb) I have found some nice pictures to work from. So that is the Saturday plan. After I get the tools made tomorrow I will more than likely pull the clutch, flywheel, and oiler.

The plan for today is to get the tank off. No big deal and I will tear it down when I get back later tonight. After it I get it to that stage I will take so more pictures and get them up.

So far so good, but I really have not done anything:)

Adam

Update 1

Well I ended up not going where I planned so I got to this thing early in the day.

I have now removed everything that I can without making/ buying more tools. I am currently in the process of figuring out what exactly I need to order. Hopefully I will have that together by tonight and can get some parts headed this way.

Everything besides the crank looks really good. I have not noticed any cracks, or breaks in anything. I have placed everything in its own little bad so that maybe when it is time to put it back together I will be able to locate all the parts.

The cylinder is really smooth and does not appear to be really badly worn at all. I ran a soft cloth through it just to clean it up a little. I am not sure what I should do with it at this point. It does not appear to me that it needs to be honed, so maybe I will just polish it by hand a little before I install new rings and a piston. I know it will cost more but I think I am going to stick with OEM on the piston and rings. It seems that it is probably a little better quality. Since we will be boosting the compression a little, along with other things, OEM seems like the best route. I took some more pictures of the cylinder so that you all can see what shape it is really in.

Is there any chance that the cylinder can rust while it is off the case? Just wondering if it would be a good idea to keep a thin coating of oil on it while it is sitting out?

So that is where I am so far. More to follow for sure.

Adam

rust? Naa, just toss that cylinder on the bench until you need it.

Why send it out for a woods port though? Since you are rebuilding it and in for the learning experience. Take a little time and search around on here, lots of info on woods mods in here.

rust? Naa, just toss that cylinder on the bench until you need it.

Why send it out for a woods port though? Since you are rebuilding it and in for the learning experience. Take a little time and search around on here, lots of info on woods mods in here.

I thought about doing it myself, but not really sure it is something I want to tackle at this point. I plan to really using this saw. If I send it out to someone who really knows what they are doing they should be able to maximize the performance. At some point I will more than likely do one for myself, but it will be on something that I do not care as much about.

Adam

Is this what you do at work to make to pass the time? I have 3 saw projects going at the firehouse right now. I dont have time at home with running daddy daycare on my days off so all my projects go to the station. Looking forward to seeing your rebuild. Heck I might even explore some huskies?

Rob Porter
Ann Arbor city FD
L.693

Is this what you do at work to make to pass the time? I have 3 saw projects going at the firehouse right now. I dont have time at home with running daddy daycare on my days off so all my projects go to the station. Looking forward to seeing your rebuild. Heck I might even explore some huskies?

Rob Porter
Ann Arbor city FD
L.693

I wish but they really do not like for us to do that stuff around there. Something about a fire one time, hmmmm. Oh well, we get by anyway. I do get to surf through here a fair amount though. I normally work a part-time also but it will not pick back up for a month or so. So here I am again. I am looking forward to seeing myself rebuild this also :).

Stay safe,

Adam

Started looking at the saw again this morning as I am planning to fab up some tools today. I noticed that there is a smal broken piece on the case. If you look at the picture you will see a round piece broken to the left of the stop switch. Does anyone see how this would cause any problems or is it simply cosmetic? It does not appear to extend and is just in that area. Just worried about nothing I am sure. Thought I would throw it out there.

http://arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=75697&d=1218066444

not the best picture, sorry

Thanks,

Adam

Update Ii

So it looks like Sunday has been a big success. I went to a family members house who has many more tools than I do. We figured out how to put the tools together and built a flywheel puller and a clutch tool. Both worked great.

Took the case out back and gave it a good spraying off with the air compressor. Now all I need to do is figure out the case splitter and we will be cooking with fire.

I will put some pictures up later this evening.

On we go,

Adam

Looks good! Can't wait to see when it's done. Clean every orange part with Simple Green and a scrub brush. Other metal parts can be cleaned with brake cleaner. You want to get all the grime off of everything.

Update II Pictures

Here are the pictures of the case after everything is removed. Like I said we sprayed it off real good, but I have not thoroughly cleaned it yet. I am hoping to put an order in for parts in the next day or so. Also, I took a good picture of the piece of the case that I was talking about is missing. We inspected it really well and it appears that someone just hit it and it broke off. There are no cracks that extend and it seems to be limited to just this area. Pretty sure it is just cosmetic and not going to worry about it.

Hope you all enjoy,

Adam

Latest posts

Back