First rebuild, 372xp, here we go!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adam get that thing cleaned up, I don`t know how anyone can work on a greasy, dirty old saw like that. LOL
My early attempts at engine rebuilds looked a lot like yours but now the cleanup comes first and disassembly as cleanup allows. Degreaser and comp air spray gun work wonders.Keep up the good work and I can see you are coming along quite well for your first, puller and clutch tools get nod of approval.
Wash your cases out with lots of good hot soapy water and rinse clean with hot water and it will leave them ready for reinstalling . Best of luck.
Pioneerguy600

Adam get that thing cleaned up, I don`t know how anyone can work on a greasy, dirty old saw like that. LOL
My early attempts at engine rebuilds looked a lot like yours but now the cleanup comes first and disassembly as cleanup allows. Degreaser and comp air spray gun work wonders.Keep up the good work and I can see you are coming along quite well for your first, puller and clutch tools get nod of approval.
Wash your cases out with lots of good hot soapy water and rinse clean with hot water and it will leave them ready for reinstalling . Best of luck.
Pioneerguy600

I see what you are saying. It is certainly a process. I was not too worried about the case since it has to be split. Just figured I could clean it when it was apart. When I do another, I think I will go your way.

Thanks for the info,

Adam

Here is how i have been splitting cases, the top one needs more bracing.

Thanks for the picture. I was thinking of making something like that myself. I see how the top one would work with more bracing, but how about the one on the bottom? Do you bolt it, and the it just pushes them apart?

Thanks,

Adam

Sitting at the fire station today so not much going on. If I get some free time tomorrow I may pull all the parts out and start cleaning them. I see simple green and hot water. I see dishwasher (not with my wife). Any other ideas? Is it a good idea to put water on these parts? Is rust not an issue for say the case and various small parts? Shows how much I know.

Good news though. Looks like I have the porting all planned out. Once this thing is up and running it will be shipped to a wonderful member on here and he is going to gladly take my hard earned money. Can not wait to get to that point.

More pictures tomorrow.

Thanks for the help,

Adam

Sitting at the fire station today so not much going on. If I get some free time tomorrow I may pull all the parts out and start cleaning them. I see simple green and hot water. I see dishwasher (not with my wife). Any other ideas? Is it a good idea to put water on these parts? Is rust not an issue for say the case and various small parts? Shows how much I know.

Good news though. Looks like I have the porting all planned out. Once this thing is up and running it will be shipped to a wonderful member on here and he is going to gladly take my hard earned money. Can not wait to get to that point.

More pictures tomorrow.

Thanks for the help,

Adam

i wash all the parts of the saw in hot soapy water and then rinse them well with clean hot water, dry them off and if they are not going back together right away a light spray of oil based lubricant will hold it over until its reassembled. The dishwasher thing is the best but it will fade the plastics color and is a little hard on the painted surfaces also. I use it mostly if I am doing a repaint job and need to get it squeaky clean and all oil and grease off and out of the porous magnesium.
Pioneerguy600

Not too much to add other than all the parts are not clean. The advice has been great and everything looks much better. Now I just have to get the cylinder cleaned and the case separated and cleaned.

Thanks, more to come.

Adam

I see how that would work to push the crank out on the bar nut side, but how about the other?

Adam

Adam,

Lakeside had a thread that showed his tools he made to split case, remove crank.

I have been trying to find it again but I have no clue where it went so I'll try to explain.

To push the other side out, he had a board with a hole big enough for the crank and piston to fit through and he used an arbor press to push it out.

If I remember right, you have a relative or friend in auto mechanics. he might have access to a press once you figure out what I mean by the supprot board.

If I remember right he had a 3 ton press but others have said a one ton worked for them.

Meant to tell you this before but my ADD kicked in. Sorry.

Fred

Adam,

Lakeside had a thread that showed his tools he made to split case, remove crank.

I have been trying to find it again but I have no clue where it went so I'll try to explain.

To push the other side out, he had a board with a hole big enough for the crank and piston to fit through and he used an arbor press to push it out.

If I remember right, you have a relative or friend in auto mechanics. he might have access to a press once you figure out what I mean by the supprot board.

If I remember right he had a 3 ton press but others have said a one ton worked for them.

Meant to tell you this before but my ADD kicked in. Sorry.

Fred

Sounds like good information.

Thanks,

Adam

Just wanted to throw a little update in here. So far everything is just about where it was last time I posted on it. I have a handle on all the parts I will need, but had a little funding issue come up. No big deal, it will just take a little longer.

Keep and eye out and I will update again when I get some things ordered.

Adam

Latest posts

Back