First saw poll

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What was the first saw you actually bought

• Total voters

Kevin in Ohio

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
While we're doing polls, I thought it would be interesting to see about this one.

What brand was the first saw you BOUGHT. Not the first one used or given to you, the first saw you actually bought. It can be new or used, just give the brand, model and age you were (aprox) to make it more interesting.

Mine was a Stihl 009 and I was 12. My grandfather was the first Homelite dealer in southern Ohio in the early 50's so I grew up on those.

I tried to put the major ones down but it'll only allow so many. I wanted to put every brand but I guess I can't.

If this has been done before, let me know and I'll delete but thought it would be a change of pace.

I bought my first little saw shortly after I bought my first home at age 20. My Dad had been using a Homelite for almost 30 yrs and it still ran perfectly forever and he didn't do any maintenance. so naturally that was the brand I wanted. However, the cheapo that I bought never ran right and never stays tuned. After finding a good and reputable dealer close by its been Stihl ever since.

Wally Mart Homeylite in '94, forget the model# now. Had an 18" bar on it, $99.00. I remember that. Had just bought a new house and was cutting up a boatload of trees and brush that had been pushed to the back of the lot.

Started with an old no plastic Homeylite with manual oiler that was given to me. It ran for a month or so and died. Figured it would be better to go ahead and buy a new one anyhow. The new saw had automatic oiling, man that was the cats. :)

For a $99.00 saw, it held up and ran well. Got divorced a year or so later and gave it to my FIL. Moved to an apartment and no longer needed it. I dunno what happened to it after that but it was a tough, dependable little saw.

Stihl 038M. Bought new in the 80's.
Still have it, still use it

Started cutting wood when I was 12 (1964) bought my first chainsaw in 1975 - Partner P50.

Last edited:
Fell for the best chainsaw add / slogan ever

I did it in the woods with my Partner, a P55 to be exact.

Great saw, though it did have its idiosyncrasies. Filling the bar oil was always a bit of a chore.

Take Care

The first saw I bought was Stihl, learned to run a chainsaw when I was a bout 12, my grandfather had a Mac 15, that thing would wear your ass out, but it would cut anything you wanted it to.

Purchased new in 1971. Pioneer 2073; 50cc; 9 lbs.; .325 x .050 chain.
pautomatic1_1.jpg

Last edited:
There have only been three new saws in my life: McCulloch PM510 (1979), McCulloch PM700 (1981) and Stihl 036Pro (late 80s to mid 90s - can't remember - too busy raising little ones); all pre-AS membership and all but the PM510 still with me. Since AS, all used saws - too many. Ron

Latest posts

Back