First saw poll

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What was the first saw you actually bought

• Total voters
Stihl 028 AV wood boss bought it new in the early 80's when I bought my house to feed the woodchuck furnace. Stihl have both. Great saw, made me firm believer in Stihl saws, don't think I'll ever buy anything but Stihl.

my first was a echo 452vl---still runs cuts good..but it loves gas and bar oil,but has loads of torque! it doesnt get used much,as the 361 is more effient........

McCulloch Timber bear 60 cc for $99 at sams club in 95. Young and dumb, we all learn with age.

Jonsered 2050. Bought when I was 25ish had a 16" bar. Loaned it to a friend a year later and he dropped a tree on it - replaced it with the same saw with an 18" bar. Lesson learned - don't loan out primary saw. My oldest son has it now and still runs like a champ after approximately 50/60 cord.

Homelite "Big Red" age 15. It was just like dads older model and grandpas. Toasted it on outboard 2 stroke oil.

Husky 351 for about $200 off fleabay in 2007 I believe. I have since killed it, found AS, rebuilt into 346xp and sold it.

!976 purchased a Remington new, don't remember the model, just remember it never started or ran very well. 1979 purchased my first real saw, 031, still use it regularly. 1995 044. 2012 MS362. 2012 used 066(son's).

First saw was a Husqvarna 45 bought used around 1999. Did some landscaping/yard maintenance for while and it was a brush saw. When I started burning wood a couple of years ago I bought a 346xp. Last year I bought a 372xp and sold the old 45 to a friend who just started burning wood. I also posses my dad's Homelite SuperXL automatic that he bought new around 1976.

Pro-Mac 10-10 in the early 70's I'm thinking 1972. Still have the 2.5 gal. gas can I bought the same day I got the saw and used it every year since. I ran that 10-10 till the mid 80's and bought a Sachs Dolmar 120 super. Ran the 120 super till the coil stopped working and got a Dolmar 7900 around 2010. Bought another 7900 last year. So I have twins now. The last 7900 was a surprise to find since the new models had just starting hitting the market around here. If I could find a coil for that 120 super it'd be running today. Still a strong saw.

028 Super in the early 90's. Had it completely rebuilt and ported. Back in the good old days before flippy caps.:cry:

Bought 3 Stihl saws for the very 1st purchase. 2 MS 290'S & 1 009 in early 2004. I was 29 yrs. old. Wife & I purchased 15 acres of woods out in the country and spent 2 yrs. clearing for our house. Only mistake i made was not installing boiler in the beginnig. I burnt alot of wood in bonfires for 2 yrs. that i wish i had kept now.

Homelite 520, 1959 when I was 15 yrs old, from my neighbor a pro faller, he bought a new Homelite so he sold me his old spare. Still have the saw, I should get it running one day. :)

My first saw was my Stihl 036 pro. I was 21. Bought it used from an older friend of my dads. he said it was getting tired and he was getting too weak to start it or use it. tuned it up and it always started fine for me. still my favorite to cut with. light and powerful (thanks Mastermind). only reason Randy even got to work his magic on it was the carb decided to act up and i thought i maybe stuffed it cuz it would run lean all the time. sent it out to get ported and rebuilt. Randy determined the running lean issue to be the carb. slapped a new one on and wow does it have power now. really gives my other bigger saws a run for the money

Poulan 2150, mid 90s, somewhere in there. Cheap, cheap, cheap at Northern (Hydraulics back then). Learned to hate that saw, Dad's Olympiks still got 99% of the use. Bought an MS290 some years later, and it was a great saw till I signed up here to learn it was a POS. This site cost me $1500 or so in new Dolmars the first year I was on here, I should be set for many years to come.

A Husqvarna 350 with 16inch bar...bought in 2000 ... I was just a young pup then :)
Still have it..but is semi-retired . Its a well deserved break for the old girl !!

Back