First time homeowner... first chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are only cutting 18 inch max then an ms250 or 260/026 would be great. My brother-in-law has a 250 that I have run a few times and its light and has enough grunt for what you are going to be cutting. My father-in-law has an 026 that also cuts great. He has had that saw forever and it has been bulletproof. Also a great choice.

That being said I am the type of guy who tends to bring an RPG to a knife-fight....so I would go as big as possible :)

You will likely find some bigger trees to cut somewhere...either on your property upstate or helping a friend out, etc.

Staying out in front of your CAD will likely cost you a little more moolah up front, but will also save you money in the long run.

All have good suggestions most are hinting around a 50cc saw works well for them good power and cleaning up down limbs in vines smaller saw may be better, If its been down awhile you will have to cut it out in small 3 to 4 foot sections n fight with it Lots of saw handling not just a walk up and saw May be able too hook truck or atv to it and drag out in open If your cutting for wood makes a difference you may want a bigger 60cc saw, On your other property small saw is fine if your just cleaning up trails pitching it out of way

I have a poulan 3400 in Craftsman grey. Bought it to give to a friend who is now moving and won't have a wood burner at the new place. New carb kit lines and filter. If I can get the oiler working its yours for the price of shipping. Bought to be given to someone that needed a solid saw sounds like you could use one.

Thank you very much! I would appreciate that!

Thank you all for the input! I've read every response so far and it seems like there's no 1 right answer, but a basic guideline. Stick with the known brands, hopefully one that has a local shop nearby, and get something around 50cc.

I'm fairly handy and do all (ok, most) of my home and vehicle maintenance work, but I've never had a chainsaw and somewhat hate working on small motors and carbs.

I said I prefer a used pro saw over a new homeowner saw mainly because, like most things sold in big box stores, homeowner products tend to be neutered or watered down to fit a price point. However, since I'd rather not deal with someone's headache, I may have to consider a new saw. Maybe once I get the hang of the maintenance I'll grab a different (bigger/smaller) second saw used.

I'll see if there are any local shops in the area and check out their inventory. I already have so many tools (my wife says toys) and projects lined up that spending $400-$500 on a saw I will probably use a couple of weekends a year after the initial cleanup seems a bit of overkill.

Don't sell the homeowner line of saws short. In a nutshell, it's all about proper use, care, and maintenance.

A homeowner quality saw will last just as long as a pro saw, if they both receive the same degree of care and maintenance.

I've been down that road before and I know it well. ;)

I'd stay away from Chinese saws , might be a few good ones, but I am sure a lot of duds.
I made reccomendations on the assumption that you are a begginer and can easily move up from 50ish cc. Really 2 saws is much better then 1 and small does its share of things better, but when you have a use for a big saw you will be handicapped to a point depending how under gunned you are. There are renting or borrowing options in most areas or if you want to keep cost down there is good usable saws out there 60, 70 and more cc $ 200ish and up.

I still stick with a smallish 40-50 cc saw is the most used saw. I sell a lot of saws and I see a lot of experienced guys want the smallest lightest saw that can get the job done or the most powerful saw to get the job done now.
I have many saws at my fingertips and I will use my little 421 more often then any other saw.
They can get tons of wood in.

I would listen to CoreyB and get the Dolmar 421 or a equivalent Maruyama[ better deal]. New so you will have it many years with proper care. If you think you'l need a bigger saw more than 50% of your time get a 50 cc Maruyama or a Echo cs590. Get new and leave this site or you'll end up with a bunch of saws. I joined this site with 1 saw ,now i have10.

I still stick with a smallish 40-50 cc saw is the most used saw. I sell a lot of saws and I see a lot of experienced guys want the smallest lightest saw that can get the job done or the most powerful saw to get the job done now.
I have many saws at my fingertips and I will use my little 421 more often then any other saw.

Looking pretty official there Corey. Does the Husky equipment slow down the Dolmar saw at all? ;)

I told you...

Looking pretty official there Corey. Does the Husky equipment slow down the Dolmar saw at all? ;)
Not at all. It makes me look like I am working faster. Lol. That will be a separate video.

I would listen to CoreyB and get the Dolmar 421 or a equivalent Maruyama[ better deal]. New so you will have it many years with proper care. If you think you'l need a bigger saw more than 50% of your time get a 50 cc Maruyama or a Echo cs590. Get new and leave this site or you'll end up with a bunch of saws. I joined this site with 1 saw ,now i have10.

I agree. Especially with the advice on leaving this site. Stick around just long enough to learn how to sharpen chains, do simple maintainance,etc. or you will soon convince yourself life will be complete if only you had one more saw. Then one more,and another,and another...........

I agree. Especially with the advice on leaving this site. Stick around just long enough to learn how to sharpen chains, do simple maintainance,etc. or you will soon convince yourself life will be complete if only you had one more saw. Then one more,and another,and another...........
I think it is more of people getting into a hobby. Since I have joined this site I have sold two saws. Honestly, most folks are happy with whatever they have if it is sharp and starts. I know I am. They are all faster then a hand saw.

If you are going used, a husky 359 or stihl 036/360/361 would be good saws for a "one saw plan". The extra displacement is nice in stuff that is >14" over a 40 or 50cc saw.

If new is a better option, the Echo CS590 is the best deal out there and will have similar power and build quality to the saws above.

If i did not worked on saws i probably start drinking [cabin fever]. Is a interesting hobby, but expensive. I the end you can get your money back selling the saws.

Its a vicious cycle if you stay on AS. I started out with my FILs ms250 then bought my 590 when I wanted something bigger then my 490 then a burnt up huskie 55 to rebuild then the Craftsman. Then you read about ported saws and think I don't need that but my 590 is headed to Tennessee next week :crazy2:.
But if you look around you can learn more then you ever thought there was to know about saws and many other things.

Latest posts

Back