Fiskars Super splitting axe review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You got that right about the brokerage fees from UPS and FedEx.:mad:

There are no duties on 99% of purchases since NAFTA kicked in. I buy lots of items in Michigan and never pay duty. I even bought my tractor in Michigan and only paid provincial and federal sales taxes when I brought it over to Canada.

Correct. Anything made in the U.S. (and Mexico??) --even partially-- would not be subject to duties. However, as you know, most things nowadays are made elsewhere, so duties still apply on a lot of different products.

Correct. Anything made in the U.S. (and Mexico??) --even partially-- would not be subject to duties. However, as you know, most things nowadays are made elsewhere, so duties still apply on a lot of different products.

Actually no they don't. I am in Michigan at least once an week to fill-up my truck and pick-up on-line purchases. Many of the items are made off-shore but duties don't apply or at least Canadian Border Service doesn't care. My Kubota was US$16K, made in Japan (but assembled in the US) and yet they only charged me the applicable sales tax.

They do however charge tax on items purchased that are bought used because no Canadian tax has ever been collected on the item. Last week I bought a used kayak (it was originally made in Quebec) for US$1100 and I had to pay sales tax on the boat when I brought it home. Same thing happened with the used US made box blade I bought a few months ago.

Well I broke my axe on the weekend spiltting some big maple. I need a new one and after reading some of these reviews I think I know what I'm getting..
Only thing is i'n in Canada and I can't get the SSA unless I order it BUT my local store has the Pro axe on sale 25% off right now. Should I go for it? I'd like to have one by the weekend so I can keep spliting. I guess it's only $40 so if it's not quite up to par i'm not out that much.

Anyone compared the 2? I didn't read all 18 pages so I might have missed it.

Well I broke my axe on the weekend spiltting some big maple.

Funny, I read this line and my heart sunk.

His SSA died. LOL. then I read the rest of his posting realizing he was speaking of his OTHER axe. LOL

I just chopped up a Maple tree last weekend with my SSA.

Yesterday I split 30' of trunk from a cottonwood tree. Nice workout. Heart rate up. Better than riding a bike IMO. LOL.

Go SSA, learn a proper chopping stance for it and you will never lose a leg or wear yourself out again. Keep the hydro splitters. They do nothing for you regarding exercise.

Are you speaking of the pro splitting axe or the Pro Chopping Axe, Just being clear.

Last edited:
Well I broke my axe on the weekend spiltting some big maple. I need a new one and after reading some of these reviews I think I know what I'm getting..
Only thing is i'n in Canada and I can't get the SSA unless I order it BUT my local store has the Pro axe on sale 25% off right now. Should I go for it? I'd like to have one by the weekend so I can keep spliting. I guess it's only $40 so if it's not quite up to par i'm not out that much.

Anyone compared the 2? I didn't read all 18 pages so I might have missed it.

I'd buy the Pro splitting axe if you can't get the SSA. The Pro has a 2.25lb head and the SSA has a 4.5lb head. I have the brush axe, that I take on my daily hikes with the dogs, to cut down the growth on my trails. It's another great tool. I use it for bear protection as well. I also have the 14" hatchet that I use for kindling

http://www.fiskars.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10101&categoryId=10277

I'm heading out tonight after work to get the Pro splitting axe.. If I like maybe I'll try and order the SSA

I'm heading out tonight after work to get the Pro splitting axe.. If I like maybe I'll try and order the SSA

Do not expect this other axe, PSA, perform like FSSA....lighter head and different head design ("regular" axe head)....If I could help you I would...
They have them in stock in my local ACE hardware store 49$ plus change and tax.Give me a call if you want me to buy you one and ship it to you.

I hate to see you buy something you really dont need/want.....:cheers:

Do not expect this other axe, PSA, perform like FSSA....lighter head and different head design ("regular" axe head)....If I could help you I would...
They have them in stock in my local ACE hardware store 49$ plus change and tax.Give me a call if you want me to buy you one and ship it to you.

I hate to see you buy something you really dont need/want.....:cheers:

I might take you up on that..

I did get the axe tonight, I looked at it at the store and though WTF.. but I bought it anyway.. I used it for abit tonight, I can see it's advantages, spilts smaller stuff like othing. It's so light that you get great head speed out of it, way faster then using my old 8lbs.. Right now I'm spliting some large peices of Maple 14-18" Dia.. This little guy isn't really up to it. I honestly didn't expect it to bw since I split my other axe head try to split this stuff. I'll keep using it for abit and see how I like it.. 1 thing I can say is that I don't nearly work as hard using the Fiskars as my old axe.

imgp0261j.jpg

PS.. in this pic I couldn't even get my other axe to stick in the wood beside the Friskars, kept bouncing off laughing at me!!

Last edited:
I ordered the SSA off Ebay yesterday. I have some Osage Orange to split. I can't afford an hydraulic splitter so I will give a try.

Rick

Haven't used a Hydro yet. Have split everything but this one wood, which I cant identify. Too twisted to get through. I'll post a photo tomorrow. Perhaps someone can tell me what it is.

Addendum. The wood is Sycamore. The axe just bounces off. Best I could do was take about 3" off the outside before it was OVER. LOL.

Last edited:
Howdy all...
Just a Canadian chiming in a thanks to you lads for educating me some on the SS axe. I have the pro, and love it. Can't wait for the SS to arrive.

I ordered from the Ace Hardware Outlet.. they ship to Canada. I'll pay the duty fees, for an easier time splitting this elm I have to go through.. and some of the larger, knottier maple.

thanks again

Howdy all...
Just a Canadian chiming in a thanks to you lads for educating me some on the SS axe. I have the pro, and love it. Can't wait for the SS to arrive.

I ordered from the Ace Hardware Outlet.. they ship to Canada. I'll pay the duty fees, for an easier time splitting this elm I have to go through.. and some of the larger, knottier maple.

thanks again

Thank you for reading our forum!
welcome to our community and Good luck with your FSS.:cheers:

wow, thats about all I can say. This SSA is incredible. I should have bought it two years ago when i first heard about it, but thought it was too 'gimmicky'

wow, thats about all I can say. This SSA is incredible. I should have bought it two years ago when i first heard about it, but thought it was too 'gimmicky'

Sweet piece of equipment, isn't it? :D

I had to get mine sent up from Michigan as they do not sell them in Canada. It was worth it and mine went through that elm I had out back like nobody's business!

:cheers:

Sweet piece of equipment, isn't it? :D

I had to get mine sent up from Michigan as they do not sell them in Canada. It was worth it and mine went through that elm I had out back like nobody's business!

:cheers:

seriously, I cannot believe how much better it is than an 8lb maul. It is not even comprable.

well i dotn own 1 own these axes YET. but i just bought 1 off ebay, but i know when i am splitting and i have a short handle i usually kneel down on my knees and put the wood up on the splitting block or even just set the wood in front of me on the ground.

can it pound a wedge?

Product looks great on line, but will the poll drive in a wedge? Also, if the handle does break, it's garbage right? You cant hang a new handle in that head can you?

Product looks great on line, but will the poll drive in a wedge? Also, if the handle does break, it's garbage right? You cant hang a new handle in that head can you?

If you abuse the axe, you will destroy it. if you use it for it;s intended purpose.. splitting wood, i doubt you will have any issues.

I wouldn't use this for pounding wedges it has a 4lb head. I keep a small sledge hammer or my maul handy for that work. What say the others??

Latest posts

Back