Fiskars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tld400

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just want to say I got my new Fiskars x27 axe today and I cant believe how good this thing goes through the wood. For anyone that doesnt have one you should go today and get it. All the reviews on x27 are not B.:msp_biggrin: S.

Now, keep dry, keep it sharp, and whatever you do don't hit your maul with the business end because you were too lazy to look at what your doing. I've found that it doesn't really need to be all that sharp, but it just makes it that much better.

I just returned an x15 that I bought at Sears a few weeks ago. I noticed that, with not too much use, that the coating looked like it was wearing off. Is that the case with Fiskars? I should of snapped a few pics but the sides looked like the low friction coating was wearing.

That wasn't the reason for the return, btw.

I just returned an x15 that I bought at Sears a few weeks ago. I noticed that, with not too much use, that the coating looked like it was wearing off. Is that the case with Fiskars? I should of snapped a few pics but the sides looked like the low friction coating was wearing.

I had the low friction coating wear off my X27 wear off after splitting my first cord. It's not really all that important of an issue since it still splits well. It's just a matter of keeping it sharp. But, if you feel the need for that little extra slip, have a rag with some bar and chain oil on it or some motorcycle chain lubricant (works great for guns too) Both will cling well to the head and give it that little extra slip that low friction coating provides.

Same here, the coating on the cheeks of my X27 was wearing off within a dew days. Maybe the coating has a beneficial effect even when it "looks" to be completely gone, who knows? My guess (based on how quickly it wore off) is that it's a bit of a gimmick and more than likely a clever way for Fiskars to rust proof the axe until it's sold and used. Either way it doesn't need it.

Now, keep dry, keep it sharp, and whatever you do don't hit your maul with the business end because you were too lazy to look at what your doing. I've found that it doesn't really need to be all that sharp, but it just makes it that much better.

When I ordered I also bought the sharpener to go with it. For anyone looking into getting te x27 it was 39 from amazon. I think they are 60 bucks plus tax at big box stores

I just got my father-in-law an X25 and sharpener from amazon. He's not a firewood guy like us but they have 2 fireplaces in their home ans a little cabin up in NY so I think it'll work well for him.

Today I thought the fiskars was alot easier to swing that the heavier maul. I think anyone could use that axe.

Does anybody protects their fiskars w/ a rope collar??

You know some HUMBLE people tie a few loops of rope around where the handle of the maul goes in the head, to protect the handle in case of an over-strike...
Usually AFTER a couple of handles were chewed until the head became separated and they were laughed at by neighbors and close family members (Now written off the will).

Beside declaring those people have nothing to do with me :silly: I thought I'd ask if:
1. You do it with your mauls?
2. With your Fiskars? and if so
2a. Doesn't the bulge of the rope gets in the way when the head goes through the round?
2b. Any fancy way of tying it?

(And 3. Why is it so pricey to send to Israel? Is it the length? Example - $60 USPS.)

Thanks!

SA

You know some HUMBLE people tie a few loops of rope around where the handle of the maul goes in the head, to protect the handle in case of an over-strike...
Usually AFTER a couple of handles were chewed until the head became separated and they were laughed at by neighbors and close family members (Now written off the will).

Beside declaring those people have nothing to do with me :silly: I thought I'd ask if:
2a. Doesn't the bulge of the rope gets in the way when the head goes through the round?

(And 3. Why is it so pricey to send to Israel? Is it the length? Example - $60 USPS.)

Thanks!

SA

1. Wish I had done it with my first two maul handles. New maul has some sort of rubbery thing, maybe that'll help.
2. Not with my Fiskars. When I get tired my aim gets real bad, and I must over-strike one in ten. Never had a problem... and I've broken fiberglass-handle axes before.
2a. Yes.
2b. No idea. Rope is cheap. Loop it on there.

3. What's pricey? The rope? I can't imagine anything going USPS is going to be cheap to Israel...

Thanks!
I didnt put any rope on my x27. I dont think a over strike would hurt handle. If it broke (lifetime warr.)

Well I could take having the X25 for my F-I-L in my shop and not being able to use it so I just paid for an X11.

Did you order it from amazon. That was the cheapest place to find the x27 plus no tax and free shipping:msp_smile:

When I ordered I also bought the sharpener to go with it. For anyone looking into getting te x27 it was 39 from amazon. I think they are 60 bucks plus tax at big box stores

Any comments on the sharpener?

Yes to amazon. Almost ordered a second x27...

The x11 has a 17" handle.

Yeah i just looked it up,but the x11 is almost the same price as the x27. What would you do with that short one.

Any comments on the sharpener?

The sharpener worked good for me. Im glad I ordered it because the second large piece I split went rite through into the dam stones. Put a tiny nick in the soft metal blade. About 4 swipes on the sharpener and it was gone and nice and sharp. Im going to put some plywood down so the larger rounds I dont want to put on stump wont go through to rocks.

There is a thread here about making kindling with the x11. I can't justify the price either.

I got it for one handed work and camping. I don't understand the pricing either. It seems like the X27 is the cheapest one. The X11 is the smallest one that has flared cheeks and is small enough for one hand but big enough for 2. There is the possibility that I just had to have it cause I didn't have it.

Back