Flea bay 038 MAG

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skytow

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
All,

total noob move....

Rolled the dice on a fleabay 038 mag. The saw arrived with a NEW bar and chain not mentioned in the add, cool. The saw looks better than expected. Great compression too.

It is marked 038 AV then in real small letters at the bottom of the metal plate "electronic quick stop" The metals tag is really faded but that's all I can make out. I am hoping that the "MAGNUM" is simply faded. How can I tell an 038 AV from an 038 AV MAG? Serial number?? If so Where can I find them??

Thanks,

JD in PA

All,

total noob move....

Rolled the dice on a fleabay 038 mag. The saw arrived with a NEW bar and chain not mentioned in the add, cool. The saw looks better than expected. Great compression too.

It is marked 038 AV then in real small letters at the bottom of the metal plate "electronic quick stop" The metals tag is really faded but that's all I can make out. I am hoping that the "MAGNUM" is simply faded. How can I tell an 038 AV from an 038 AV MAG? Serial number?? If so Where can I find them??

Thanks,

JD in PA

I bet a good ole Stihl dealer could tell you from the serial #.
Myself I would have to test the power. I run a 38 mag for a while with a 7 pin 3/8 sprocket and 25 inch bar and chain . It had great torque and took a lot to slow it down. Previously I had run a 038 super for a tree service that felt weak in comparison with a 25 in. bar..If it is a original 48mm bore 038 it shouldn't be hard to tell if you have run saws in the 55 to 65 cc range before.

Someplace if it is a mag it will either have a decal across the top that says Magnum or on the plate that says Magnum II.

However if it is just an AV,all is not lost.It won't quite have the guts of a mag but it's far from anemic.

Chances are though if the tank and handle are metal it's likely an Av.Plastic it would tend to be a mag.Of course the handle/tank are interchangable so there you are,back at square one.

Thanks all!

It definitely has the plastic tank as it was cracked and "repaired".

The metal name plate is fairly faded and very difficult to read. Nothing says MAGNUM but there appears to be space for it, but the whole plate is barely readable.

[/ATTACH]View attachment 61077

Hopefully my attachments are here and you can see the pictures.

I'm really hoping this is the 72 cc machine. I have two 57 cc saws now and needed to occasionally run a 24" bar.

Here is the link to the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=140184320619&_trksid=p3984.cWAT.m240.lVI

Hopefully one of the images will tell you something or show a detail to tip you off.

Where is the serial number?

Thanks!

JD in PA

The link didn't show up....but that picture looks like one from Saw King on ebay? If so, and he says it is a mag, I believe it is indeed a mag. He has been around a long time and is a trustworthy seller.

I just looked at the completed ebay listings and i noticed it was purchased on december 4th and it was from saw king.

Chances are if Rich said it's a mag ,most likely it is. As I said before some had a decal that said Magnum,which could easily get pulled off .Most likely easiest way to tell is pull the muffler and measure the bore.

That of course would only comfirm what you have but what ever it is,you can't change it.It is what it is. If it is an AV it will still operate very well.It may only be a tad above 60 cc but will do very well unless you get the bright idea of attempting to run a 36" bar on it.Using a 7 tooth it will do quite nicely with a 24".

Thanks all!

I don't know Rich the Saw King but if you all say he is a good guy I buy it. My experience with this saw backs that up 100 percent.:cheers:

The saw is in much better shape than the pictures show. Yes, the handle was cracked but it was repaired and noted as such in the description. He also included a NEW bar and chain which were not mentioned in the description. There were also brand new bar nuts and at least one of the dawgs is new. None of the new parts were mentioned.

I just had time to start and tune the saw this evening after work and it runs like a scalded cat. Put in a full tank of fresh mix, 3 pulls, and off she went. I really am thrilled with the saw! The altitude must be higher where the saw came from, I had to tweak both jets a hair richer. (I'm only at about 400 feet MSL and it was 34 F outside)

Is Rich on AS?? It seems he sells a heck of a lot of saws! Must be quite the business.

Thanks again!

JD in PA

Mountainman,

No doubt I did OK. A parts lot from an 038 MAG 2 went for over 150$ at about the same time!! No bar or chain to boot... go figure.

I can't wait to put this to wood tomorrow!

I guess the cracked handle really hurt the value?? It is repaired reasonably well. It seems strong. If it breaks, 038 handles are readily available but cost around 100 $.

This was the 4th 038 Mag I bid on. All the others went over $ 300. I did not expect to "win" this one as I had just purchased an 034. (had to go to confession with the wife, 2 saws in two days...)

All in all, very happy.

JD in PA

You did just fine on the deal .A good handle usually brings nearly 100 bucks.

For what it worth,I will likely have about 200 bucks in the 038 Mag I have setting on my work bench as I type,not counting the price of a bar and chain.

I bought the thing just for the handle but then decided to repair it,typical.

I'm looking at a saw on ebay from SawKing and wanted to see what you guys thought. It is the 359. It would seem to be the perfect size saw and it is going for a good price. Didn't want to start a new thread just for this and draw more attention to the listing.

Matt

I own and like a 359. No complaints. Likes to rev, don't lean on it. I have an 18
" bar on mine and cut almost all hard woods.:clap: :clap:

Cut some black locust that was about 26 " in diameter with the 359 last week. I would have like the 038 for that job!

As you could see in the thread, my experience with the Saw King was 100% positive.

JD in PA

I picked up an 038 mag at a local auction in early Nov. Paid $220 for it, did not really need it but a good deal is hard to pass up. I had seen what ebay saws were bringing and figuired whats one more saw any way. Have only used it for maybe 20 minutes, it does run nice though.

Looks like a pretty good used saw. Considering seller you should get what you expect. Bid what its worth

Latest posts

Back