Flip it or screw it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

056kid

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally do not care for Stihl's flip caps. There have been many occasions when i re-upped on juice and seconds later discovered that the oil was no longer in the tank but all over my wranglers:censored:
Stihl has kept screw caps on their best saw for a reason!(660)

Any way i dont know how to poll so what do yall prefer, flip or screw??

I really like the flip caps, just have to make sure you seat them correctly. Pull up on them once they set to make sure they are really in. In fact I love them. I used to hate taking time to refuel, but I was telling a buddy the other day that with these new caps I actually look forward to it cause it's so effortless and fast.

I've never noticed any oil spilled on my pants. But then after a day of work, I'm so filthy, it would not matter! (Never had any problem with these.)

can't stand the newer stihl caps...

that's one reason I sold off my MS460 and 260 ...keeping 046 and 026

Maby im just old school.
When your burning over a gallon a day, refueling time is sometimes :censored: im tired time and seldomly the oil cap twists but does not seat hence the oil going every where.
Aside from that i find it agitating to sit there and twist a damn cap and have it not seat.
Stihls vibrate things tighter(accept bar nuts) so you dont even have to screw the caps on very tight.

I carry a can of brake/parts cleaner with me to spray off around the cap before refilling. It is just too easy to get saw dust in the tanks with the new style caps. The old caps had a nice lip that did not collect debris. Its is easy to over fill with them also.

I don't mind the new caps.
But I have had the help not secure them properly and pour mix all over their crotch a couple of times.

You do have to be more detail minded with the new caps.

I like Stihl`s "new caps" it is easy to use - eaven with cold or greasy hands:greenchainsaw:

Isn't it that the screw caps are still on the 660 as they haven't run out of the mouldings for that saw yet?

I don't mind either caps really. Pros and cons for each. I have trouble with the screw caps after my workmate has fitted them as he over-tightens them. But if I put them on then I have no trouble taking off. I have no problem with the flip caps and can easily fit and remove them and have never had one come off. However, my workmate is more cack handed and didn't secure one properly and ended up spilling oil over someone's block paved drive (luckily clear biodegradable oil). And he also has trouble sometimes where he twists it without it being seated properly, which puts it in the lock position, then removes it and gets frustrated trying to refit it while it's still in the lock position.

When I first used them I didn't like them and I also got oil all over my legs a few times, but, after a while you get a feel for the mechanism of when they are seated and when they are not and I prefer them without a doubt over the old screw in types.

I prefer the "new caps" also....didn't have a problem with the old, but I think that the new ones make fuel time quicker and easier. Just my .02 though, Mike.:cheers:

Not fond of the new caps.

Replaced the original oil cap on my MS192 under warranty twice in less than a year. My opinion they're a weak link in an otherwise fine product. Keep a spare on hand now for Sunday & after hours insurance.

Take Care

Let me see, I think I participated in this subject last winter. But, here's how it went. We had a cold snap here, temps in the 20s, and we don't buy winter or summer bar oil. Just bar oil. In those temps it comes out in thick glugs. And I tend to overfil the oil tank. Then the flip cap won't flip, then I'd have to dump oil out, then back with the cap. Even in the summer, I'll not be paying attention and the oil will glug out and the same thing. Sometimes the gas cap won't snap either.

I do not like the flip top cap.
Them I do not care.
To me they are a piece of crap.
The old ones they were fair.
:cry:

I also use a ketchup bottle for my bar oil, makes it much easier to fill and, best of all no more "SPILLY PANTS" the oil stops comming out a soon as you stop squeezing the bottle.

Back