Flip it or screw it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Threaded fasteners have been around for a long time, and are well proven in history.
In the past few weeks we have had several faluires with the flip caps.
The old screw in caps on Stihls would occasionally viberate loose unless tightend with a scwrench. This caused the screw slot in the middle to wear through. But at least they did not fail suddenly and completly.
Imo Sthil should have copied Husky and built in a better seal for the caps and left them with no moving parts.
The last faillure happened early last week while we where taking down a large crane tree. The flip cap on the climber's 361 came apart. The outside part with the flip came off and left the black part in the hole, but the gas was pouring out. By the time it was repaired and back in service, we could have bought a new 361 for what it cost to have a 90 ton crane with crew, and two tree company's sit and wait for the climber to get his saw back.

Last edited:
my friend who is certified arborist and i dislike those flips with a passion cant recall how many time i have be fussing with the caps

Last edited:
I like em, You just have to get used to them. I have never spilled oil or gas on me from them. I always make sure they are on properly. You do have to push down on them as you turn them harder. I don't miss trying to find a screwdriver or a pair of pliers to take off the old caps. My 036 has the old screw on caps and i am always looking for something to get them off with.

I like em, You just have to get used to them. I have never spilled oil or gas on me from them. I always make sure they are on properly. You do have to push down on them as you turn them harder. I don't miss trying to find a screwdriver or a pair of pliers to take off the old caps. My 036 has the old screw on caps and i am always looking for something to get them off with.

:agree2: :agree2:

I personally do not care for Stihl's flip caps. There have been many occasions when i re-upped on juice and seconds later discovered that the oil was no longer in the tank but all over my wranglers:censored:
Stihl has kept screw caps on their best saw for a reason!(660)

Any way i dont know how to poll so what do yall prefer, flip or screw??
That is the reason I love husky, no flippy caps or bs switches. I
wan't a saw not a rubix cube:hmm3grin2orange: I used to run
stihls when they went to gadgets I went to husky.

Why do you need a screwdriver to get screw caps oh never mind I
remember they did not have thumbholds like husky's. When I ran
stihls they have a little convenient pouch on your chaps to put
a scrench and I just took it out and filled er up.

Why do you need a screwdriver to get screw caps oh never mind I
remember they did not have thumbholds like husky's. When I ran
stihls they have a little convenient pouch on your chaps to put
a scrench and I just took it out and filled er up.

So people that run Huskys use a scrench to tighten there caps and it takes a scrench to open them......:buttkick: :buttkick:

I've got to give credit to Stihl for their gimmicky caps. Yes, they are annoying. Yes, they are inferior to a properly designed screw.

However, because of Stihl user mentality, they make Stihl users feel special. "Oh, look at me. I'm pretty smart. I can figure out how to use Stihl's caps!" are the thoughts that run through their quaint little bumble bee brain processing centers. How many times have you heard a Stihl head say "Oh you just don't like those caps because you have to be smart to figure them out!"?

Uh, no. I don't like them because they are an over engineered piece of crap. Just because Stihl failed in the design of their screw on caps is no support in favor of the overly engineered flip top whacked out design. The design is a symbol of the why make it simple when we can make it wonderfully complex ideology. It's rather like building a battery powered battery changing machine that's only good for changing its own batteries.

And somewhere in the distance, if you listen carefully, you can hear a Stihl head marble bouncing in a hollow skull screaming "I'm special--I've got Stihl caps!!" :cheers:

So people that run Huskys use a scrench to tighten there caps and it takes a scrench to open them......:buttkick: :buttkick:

No I never have to use a scrench on the husky caps if I tightened
them. I was referring to the old stihl style with no thumb hold
but I still liked them better than the flippy bs.

No I never have to use a scrench on the husky caps if I tightened
them. I was referring to the old stihl style with no thumb hold
but I still liked them better than the flippy bs.

I hate when people tighten the h3ll out of all brand caps........Except the flip Stihl caps there easy to use as long as you dont over fill the tank....:)

I hate when people tighten the h3ll out of all brand caps........Except the flip Stihl caps there easy to use as long as you dont over fill the tank....:)

Well if I could I would put screw caps on every saw and blower I have.
My wife hates them flip caps, only time I hear her cuss any of my tools.

i wasn't a fan of them in the beginning myself. the 066/660's & 046's that i had been running had the screw in type. and i didn't like the idea of the flip top caps. but when i got a 460 and got to using the new caps i don't mind them all that much. as long as they hold fuel and oil that is what im looking for

<snip>
Uh, no. I don't like them because they are an over engineered piece of crap. Just because Stihl failed in the design of their screw on caps is no support in favor of the overly engineered flip top whacked out design. The design is a symbol of the why make it simple when we can make it wonderfully complex ideology. It's rather like building a battery powered battery changing machine that's only good for changing its own batteries.

And somewhere in the distance, if you listen carefully, you can hear a Stihl head marble bouncing in a hollow skull screaming "I'm special--I've got Stihl caps!!" :cheers:

Agree with that over-engineered bit. They strike me as a solution for a non-problem. I don't hate them but see no reason for their existance. 95% of the time, I have no problem with reinstalling but occasionally I have to fiddle with them to get them started right. Same with their 'all-in-one' switch/choke lever. Come on, engineers, I am not so feeble that I can't operate a separate choke as well as an ignition switch.

Harry K

They're German, which goes some way to explain the over engineered and over complicated bit, in the style of BMW and Mercedes. Why just have a body, wheels, transmission, engine and brakes to get from a to b, when you can have a whole heap of electronics and moving bits on top of it all.

Said it before I'll say it again, the new caps suck. The screw has been in use for a couple of thousand years. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I only have one Stihl now, a 200T, excellent saw, the 020 is a little better........only because of the screw caps.

Latest posts

Back