florida climb.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sunday the 23rd then? Gotta have Mike there, just for grins if nothing else. :) I'm hoping some other climbers within driving distance will join in. Any South GA climbers want to have some fun?

Greg- Treework cancelled? I thought you were going to Tally for your ISA exam?

JPS- I may be able to help pitch in a couple bucks towards your air fare. If nothing else, to get a chance to watch and listen to you show us some of your toys! When we were in NC we didn't have much time for that stuff, as The Dweeb had us working on different properties most of the time. Easier to explore and try out new gear when there isn't a job schedule to follow.

(I may not be able to pitch in much, gas is up to $1.65 per gallon here and I'm 300 miles away- $60 fuel for me. Let's hope I have a busy week!)

Brian-- Tree work for relatives was scheduled for the day of the test, but now they will be out of town and want to hold off for a few weeks. Luckily I'm only about 2.5hrs away.

Mike/Monkey If you guys have figured out where we are going to be climbing post the street adrs so I can print a map out from Mapquest.com , also what time do you guys want to get out there?

JPS--come on down!! Weather in Jax today was a beautiful 75 with clear sky and a nice breaze. hope it is this nice next weekend. Not uncommon in N.Fla for the temp to be 75 on monday and 30 on Thursday.

Greg

Oops, I meant like $260. I was joking.

To Orlando, I think, I seen in the papers 120 one way. I checked Orbitz and it is 271 total through them, 233 to Tampa. JAX & TLH are over 300.

The drive is around 18 hrs to the lake city area

But if a few of you could come up with a few days of work to pay for the trip, I'd be up for it.

I'll bring my rigging gear too.

Brian, what do you think about climbing the Live oak again? I also have a BIG LLoblolly pine thats a fun climb. Start at this pine, go over to the Live oak (.25 mile) then head for lunch(my treat) and climb some more on Mike's trees at Tom Brown Park. We could meet at the same post office,I will e-mail Greg the address of said post office. Speak to me!

¼ mile is a long ways to set up a traverse line. Can we get a rope long enough to stretch from the pine to the live oak? :p

Wherever you think, MP. It's your neighborhood so you know what's there better than enyone else here. Depending on when you want to hook up on Sunday, I will either get up extra early or else head up Sat. night.

Wow, looks fun, I've never climbed such a limby pine.
Looking forward to it!
Greg

Hey Folks!

I've been out of the loop for the last few days, my internet has been down and I've been too busy to figure out the problem. I like MP's plan of attack for Sunday. Meet at the post office and jump from tree to tree. Why climb one when we could climb more!:D

I took your idea and ran with it. We had a rec climb on sunday morning with just 3 of us here in Austin. More should turn out on Saturday. It is great to climb with others outside of the normal daily circle.

We set up a 40' mark for footlocking. Nothing like footlocking with those who can bust out a 20 second time. Very humbling. Practice!! Helped perfect the whole micro pulley slack tender too.

Glad to hear it, Nate. Climbing trees seems to be a rather solitary profession. We rarely get the opportunity to actually climb with other experienced climbers to compare techniques and tricks.

I'm truly enjoying my recent surge in fascination with climbing. When I was in my early 30's climbing for Davey, my entire life goal was to retire from climbing before I hit 35. I almost made it due to my fall almost 3 years ago, but got drawn back in a year ago for the money after I was mostly healed. What I've learned about climbing in the last year has allowed me to enjoy my work more than ever before and now I don't ever want to quit! I feel like a sponge when it comes to learning more and more new stuff to make climbing easier and more fun. And sharing what I've learned is like 10X better than learning!
:angel:

Can't wait!

I'm looking forward to Sunday, I can't wait! Looks like we have 4 confirmed so far- myself, Mike, MP, and Greg.
Mahk, are you or any of your climbing buddies going to be able to make it?
I picked up a new 150' hank of eXTC from my Vermeer guy last week. It was old stock and clearance priced. It's itching to get broken in on a monster Live oak! I've never used eXTC before but I've heard good things about it. It was Tom Dunlap's rope of choice before he tried the Fly.

I'm not working today so I'm going to swing by that electrical supply place and pick up some extra shrink tubing in case any of you guys need some for your splicing. I can pick up an extra Pantin at Vermeer also. If none of you buy it I can keep it for a spare. Man, I can't help but spend money on days I'm not climbing! :dizzy:

y'all suck!!!!!

man, i'm the one who started this stinking
thread and now i'm the only one not going:angry:
this sucks!!!!!!
jelous in vero,
budroe:cool:
p.s. have a great time boys!!!!!!! y'all better take
tons of pix!!!!!;)

Amen Brian. Rained out today. Can't wait until I can work again - not so I will be making money near as much as then I won't be spending money. Flights are super cheap again. I found a roundtrip from Austin to Europe for $370!!

Back