florida climb.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: y'all suck!!!!!

Originally posted by budroe69moni
man, i'm the one who started this stinking
thread and now i'm the only one not going:angry:
this sucks!!!!!!
jelous in vero,
budroe:cool:
p.s. have a great time boys!!!!!!! y'all better take
tons of pix!!!!!;)

We should have another climb in a month or two closer to central Florida!!!:)

that sounds great to me!!!!!
i'm starting a new job monday.....
w/ weekends off!!!!!! 1st time in 9
years!!!!this way a little road trip
on the weekends will work for me .
budroe:cool: :

I went to Monticello this morning to take the Cert Arbo test, and came home in a downpour. I was worried about tomorrow being rained out but pulled a forecast and it looks like a beautiful day. http://www.weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/USFL0423?begHour=8&begDay=54

See everyone 10am tomorrow morning at the post office.

I'm going to a wedding reception tonight, it is so hard to be good at an open bar.... --My goal: No hangover!!!
Greg

If yer too hung over, we'll rig a pulley system and drag yer butt up the tree! :laugh:
I can't wait for tomorrow! Several experienced climbers, lots of gear, huge trees and NO SCHEDULE! What more could an arbo-addict wish for?!
:blob2:

You missed out Budroe! It was a beatiful day w/ a nice breeze most the entire day. Started at the jumbo pine that monkeypuzzle posted a picture of a few threads back. Then moved on to the gargantuan live oak. It swallowed all of us in the canopy. We stopped and got a bite and then Greg and monkeypuzzle and another climber had to jet. Brian and I set up a zip line in the late afternoon and played on it 'till the sun was hightailin' it home. Had a great time and can't wait to do it again with some more folks!!!:blob2:

Too bad for Brian, he probably just now is getting home at 10:00
or so.:eek:

Thanks for askin'
-Mike-

I just got home about 15 minutes ago, long drive but worth it. The zipline was the BEST! We used a 180' line I had and set up about a 150' run from about 30' high in one tree to about 12' high in another tree. Once we got all the slack out, our speeds increased quite nicely. What a rush! We had my lifeline set up for SRT in the first tree so we could get to the starting point and another line in the second tree so we could rappel to the ground. We both kept going back over and over till we were too tired to climb up for another ride. I'm bushed!
:D

I just wanted to say thanks to Mike, Steve, and Brian, I had a great time. Sounds like I should have stuck around for the zipline, I bet you guys had a ball. I'm sold on the pantin, I'll have one by the end of the week.
Greg

Spike, long time no post. You should have been there!
--Best climber... There was this squirrle scurrying all over the place he was impressive... Mike is also a great climber... Steve had to work so he didn't climb with us (worked out for me, I got to use his pantin)
--The Pantin is a foot ascender, a loop on a handled ascender, does not come close to the action of a Pantin. Search "Pantin", I'm sure you'll find all you ever wanted to know about the use of it.
Greg

Originally posted by SpikeSupra
greg, what's the deal the pantin, srt? Why not just run a footloop up to the hand ascender?

I started w/ a loop running from the handled ascender. I didn't like that at all but made due until I got a pantin. The pantin makes it easier for me to keep my body in line w/ my climbing rope, thus creating a more efficient step. When I was using the footloop, I had a hard time pushing straight up. My foot would push down and out instead of just down wasting a lot of my energy. Since the pantin attaches directly below your body, it makes it easier for me. You've just got to get one and try it!!!:D
It doesn't get in my way while climbing and I usually jump in the truck and forget to take it off b/c it goes so unnoticed until needed. It takes the hump out of air humping b/c you can use it for SRT or a traditional looped method.

-Mike-

I'm having trouble working the Pantin into my climbing. Using it on the traditional doubled rope system, if I want to advance up the rope 10' or 15', it doesn't seem to help. It takes time to attach then big kicks only move you half the distance. You also need to be hanging off the rope completely, as opposed to just pulling one leg of the rope, where you can pull with your arms and kind use your feet to walk up the tree or thrust. The pantin also comes off unexpectedly, sometimes.

With SRT, I have trouble too. It may be I need more practice or I lack coordination, but it seems clumsy. Part of my problem is my handled ascender suck.
Are you guys using a foot loop and a pantin, or just one leg with a pantin?
Any other advice would be appriciated.

Maas,
I had a hard time w/ the rope coming out of the pantin at first too. Now I try to use the same rythematic motion for every step which helps me keep the rope clipped in. A simple downward push on the rope with your thumb and it should snap right into the rope grab. I've also learned to just flip my foot and release the rope when time. For those short 10' or 15' foot ascents I usually don't use the pantin, but sometimes will depending on how tired I am. I also put my left foot on the trunk for added stability and balance while I step up on the pantin (almost like body thrusting w/ one leg and steping up on the pantin at the same time.) Never liked the foot loop. I found the pantin clumsy at first but it gets easier the more I use it.:)

-Mike-

Latest posts

Back