footlocking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just started this technique and I love it. Do it at home after work. I am getting good enough that I did it at work Monday. I work with some REALY OLD SCHOOL tree men. They could not believe how fast I got In the top and started working it. I will say that my arms were fried at 50 ft. But pain is weakness leaving the body. Love it!

Ouch! That was a knock-out.
Jeff:)

Not really. You have to be in real good shape for that. That means you have to work out, eat right, get good sleep and work hard. Who the #### in their right mind would want to do that?
I just think the acsenders are more versatile. You can go through and around things that would be an outright ##### if footlocking.
I had a footlocker working with me the other day, looked like punishment. I get that at home so I try to avoid it on the job.

Not really. You have to be in real good shape for that. That means you have to work out, eat right, get good sleep and work hard. Who the #### in their right mind would want to do that?
I just think the acsenders are more versatile. You can go through and around things that would be an outright ##### if footlocking.
I had a footlocker working with me the other day, looked like punishment. I get that at home so I try to avoid it on the job.

Thats no excuse, I smoked on and off for 15 year, I don't workout and eat crappy fried bar food more than I should. Don't get me wrong I foot lock 90% of the time on ascenders these days actually footlocking on ascenders is what trained me to get good at the technique. It really doesn't take that much energy. If you are doing it right then you are mostly using leg strength rather than arm strength.

I'm not knocking the Wraptor or your use of it but in the TCC's guys are hitting 50ft in under 15 seconds. That's some three times faster than the Wraptor if I'm not mistaken. Sayingnobody will beat you might be a bit of an exaggeration.

My guess is a 100 feet would fall to more than the minute the machine takes. Pretty sure I said a long climb.

If the machine does 100' in a minute .....your math is a little off bud ("3 times faster"). Bit of an exaggeration on your part, no?

My guess is a 100 feet would fall to more than the minute the machine takes. Pretty sure I said a long climb.

If the machine does 100' in a minute .....your math is a little off bud ("3 times faster"). Bit of an exaggeration on your part, no?

Not if you count setup time. {You guys really should quit sniping at each other.}

It would be hard to beat a highly skilled footlocking climber on a 50' (or less) climb, except perhaps with spurs. Starting from "rope in tree" and "belt is on", there is almost no time spent putting on hardware, attaching tools, un-rigging, lowering wraptors, etc. If the climber scampers up the rope, that is really hard to beat for efficiency.

What difference does it make? Nobody works all day at super-high speed. If they try it, they will end up posted in that other forum nobody wants to be found in.

I think I'll try some more footlocking practice, seeing you guys think it is so easy...

Just use what is safe, efficient, and works for you.

Not if you count setup time. {You guys really should quit sniping at each other.}

The longer you have it the less set up time. Yesterday I took a large leader out of a choke cherry and I just used the machine as a false crotch after I zipped up to the top, lowered it later after all was done.

As for the sniping.....don't know if you got any brothers or male friends...but a little needling is expected just for the fun of it and it gets kinda boring otherwise.

If the climber scampers up the rope, that is really hard to beat for efficiency.

yeah but the machine is not tired and neither are you once you get up there and there is still plenty of work to be done usually.

I think I'll try some more footlocking practice, seeing you guys think it is so easy...

I often just hand lock (?) and walk up the rope with my hands only and my feet on the trunk. Been doing it for decades.

Personally, I'd love to have a wraptor. Just not in my budget right now. The ascenders are working fine for me.

That is the thing about footlocking, hip thrusting, hand over hand, whatever you want to do, I've hired a lot of climbers that were great at that stuff but on long climbs they are out of gas by the time they get in the tree. Not to mention they are usually slower than someone who uses some kind of mechanical device.

Not trying to step on any toes, that has just been my experience with the climbers I have hired in the past.

Is one thing some of you may be forgetting. You aren't getting paid just to ascend the tree and come down. The 5min it takes to set-up and break down rope-walking/SRT sytem or a wraptor can easily be shaved off. All the extra energy you save you can spend actually doing the work that you are getting paid for. On big trees I much rather have whatever energy I can go towards actually getting around and pruning verse ascending it.
I actually would have gotten a wraptor but it was a toss up between that and a GRCS this spring. But I went with the GRCS being I would get more use out of it and is an extra selling point as a sub to many of companies that don't have one.

Is one thing some of you may be forgetting. You aren't getting paid just to ascend the tree and come down. The 5min it takes to set-up and break down rope-walking/SRT sytem or a wraptor can easily be shaved off. All the extra energy you save you can spend actually doing the work that you are getting paid for. On big trees I much rather have whatever energy I can go towards actually getting around and pruning verse ascending it.
I actually would have gotten a wraptor but it was a toss up between that and a GRCS this spring. But I went with the GRCS being I would get more use out of it and is an extra selling point as a sub to many of companies that don't have one.

La La La, Where you been? :cheers:
Jeff CTSP

I've got a large Pin Oak to do tomorrow. One good size limb that is making contact with the shingles, a decent size hanger from storm damage and four or five smaller dead limbs near the top. I will likely footlock this one. I love my CMI foot ascender but I find that it can really mar up bark when I am working in the tree. Especially on smooth barked trees like a Pin Oak. This tree is prolly the oldest on the street. I want to make sure I don't scar it up and leave a good impression with the HO and folks in the neighborhood.

Latest posts

Back