footlocking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a large Pin Oak to do tomorrow. One good size limb that is making contact with the shingles, a decent size hanger from storm damage and four or five smaller dead limbs near the top. I will likely footlock this one. I love my CMI foot ascender but I find that it can really mar up bark when I am working in the tree. Especially on smooth barked trees like a Pin Oak. This tree is prolly the oldest on the street. I want to make sure I don't scar it up and leave a good impression with the HO and folks in the neighborhood.
old school prussiks maybe? hahaha

the old way of secured footlocking. you know... the one where you use prussiks that lock up on you and make it a fight to climb up.

the old way of secured footlocking. you know... the one where you use prussiks that lock up on you and make it a fight to climb up.

Only time it should tighten up is if you screw up, or have to take a break like a wuss bag.

That being said, I'm not feeling the footlock, and its been a while since I've HAD to do it..

old school prussiks maybe? hahaha

I ended up using my ascenders and my VT. I was just careful not to mar up the bark with the foot ascender. I fractured my heel about 10 years ago and it is painful for me to footlock. The foot ascender doesn't bother me at all though. I got about 75 feet yesterday in about 5 minutes. That was with stopping a few times to do some work. Wish I were doing the same thing today. Today I have to work on an old dead Cottonwood in a desert.

I have footlocked, hip thrusted, hand over hand and nothing has been easier or quicker for me than the ascenders... Except for a lift...

I have footlocked, hip thrusted, hand over hand and nothing has been easier or quicker for me than the ascenders... Except for a lift...

I agree. Having used all the above techniques it is easy to see why ascender systems have become so popular.

Dave

I ended up using my ascenders and my VT. I was just careful not to mar up the bark with the foot ascender. I fractured my heel about 10 years ago and it is painful for me to footlock. The foot ascender doesn't bother me at all though. I got about 75 feet yesterday in about 5 minutes. That was with stopping a few times to do some work. Wish I were doing the same thing today. Today I have to work on an old dead Cottonwood in a desert.

i love footlocking alot. i guess it's all personal preference. i personally feel more comfortable footlocking up a tree where there is no branches for the first 20-30 feet or so. if the tree has branches lower i just use a drt split tail system and can even foot lock on that if i wanted to.

i love footlocking alot. i guess it's all personal preference. i personally feel more comfortable footlocking up a tree where there is no branches for the first 20-30 feet or so. if the tree has branches lower i just use a drt split tail system and can even foot lock on that if i wanted to.

I bet most would say it is the fastest and most preferred method. Back in the 70's and 80's, if you could not footlock, you were not hired.
Jeff :)

Hey, if you're young, healthy and in good shape it's the way to go. Any climber that came to work for me and went up 60 or 70 feet footlocking would be very impressive to me.

Sounds like you're doing a good job. :cheers:

Hey, if you're young, healthy and in good shape it's the way to go. Any climber that came to work for me and went up 60 or 70 feet footlocking would be very impressive to me.

Sounds like you're doing a good job. :cheers:

climbing to me is less about speed and efficiency and more about working comfortable. what good does footlocking do if your not comfortable doing it? everyone has a level and comfort zone. if your working in pain and outta your comfort zone bad things will happen. iv'e heard it time and time again from guys who have been doing this job for 30-40 years. they all tell me one thing. safety, brains and work in comfort. speed will come after all that:cheers:.

i guess it's all personal preference. i personally feel more comfortable foot locking up a tree where there is no branches for the first 20-30 feet or so.

Can we get to know you before you make a statement with your link? Elaborate on your foot-locking technique and the type and style ( prussik?). After that, I will click your link.
Jeff ;)
If you cant footlock 20 feet it be hard to find a climber job. :rock:
Jeff

Just wondering how many of those that say they find it best or is there preference has actually tried a wide variety of ascent methods? Which brings me to another point of actually happened today and a few other times. Obviously you can't FL with spikes on but you can wear ropewalking systems over them for heavy leans, when canopy and work starts much heigher then normal or in case of storm work where there maybe be a number of leaning on the removal to not make spiking very possible. Granted I know you could just put your spikes on in the tree and having done it before I find it pretty uncomfortable.

Latest posts

Back