For all you 362/365/371/372 fans and rebuilders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrethegiant70

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi, Gang! I thought I’d make a little contribution to the knowledge base. I’ve rebuilt a number of 371/372 Huskies now and I happened onto a 362 basket case. You don’t hear all that much about these. I let it sit in the corner until a fellow member, Al Glick (Hi, Al!!) raved about the performance of the narrow kerf (Carlton) setup on his 262. Al is a no bullsh$t guy and indicates that it outcuts his 272 handily. At this statement, I perked up, as the 272 I have is a monster. The 262 is one helluva saw, but after his switch to the NK chain and bar, it became a LOT faster. So I got to thinking, how about a light, high performance milling saw (20-in bar)to take care of some of the smaller diameter juniper milling I do. As luck would have it, the Carlton people have ground out a version of this chain for milling. Less weight to lug into the woods and less wasted juniper. Enter the 362, as it is within the upper range of saws listed as compatible with the NK chain. What the heck, it seemed like a fun experiment and I was ready for another project.

So that’s the back story on this saw. Cases were split, bearings, seals, and gaskets were purchased, and off I went. I found some things out about the 362 that I didn’t expect! Here are some of the observations:

1) The piston is NOT a reduced version of the 372 piston, it is a whole different animal. Flat sides instead of scooped out, and the underside looks more like a typical Stihl piston than the 372….no bloopy shapes, and very lean on material.

2) The cylinder is an Italian manufacturer, and although the jug appears to be patterned after the 371/371 jug, there are LOTS of differences…. The base plate is missing material as opposed to being a square ( I suppose to save weight), the transfers are very small, comparatively, and the port edges are mighty sharp… to say they are beveled is being very generous. All that said, the thing appears to be very well made. Check out the pics.

3) The case is different! I REALLY didn’t expect that! In fact, I didn’t even notice until I went to split it and found the bar studs were closer together. The whole bar mount pad is reduced in size and slid back towards the clutch… again, I suppose to shed a little weight. In every other way, the case is the spitting image of a 371/372 case. This had to be an expensive way to lighten this saw by a few ounces. I can’t believe they bothered. With bar studs closer together, the bar plate and clutch cover have to be different also! Those didn’t come with this saw. Because the bar mount is rearranged, the copper oil tube is different also. Same oiler as the 371/372. The pics show a standard 371 case next to the 362 case so you can see the differences.

4) The last pic is of my little shop buddy. He was pretty disgusted that I worked on saws instead of taking him out to the woods. If you look into his beady little eyes, you can tell that he is giving me a very accusing look. He did eventually get his walk but, no matter, he is still staring at me like I owe him money, even now.

For compatibility reasons and because the 362 case had some battle scars, I went with a straight 371/372 case on this project. I scavenged the crank, top end, muffler, intake system (Walbro) and a variety of other doodads . And before you ask, no I’m not going to port this one as the intention was to reduce power to avoid snapping the NK chains. This saw will not get a chain brake as I can’t imagine there will be much in the way of kickback on a milling saw. As it sits, the bottom end is all together. I’m going to decarbon the exhaust port and do a little beveling, as the port edges make me a touch jumpy.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Yeah all these differences on the 362s are documented in the archives. Gilardoni was contracted to make the 362 top ends as well as some applications at the same time for Partner. Good pics.

No doubt, JJ. I just figured I'd give you boys some weekend reading material. Them archives are... well.... archival. :D

I think you might have a small mount 362 case, I remember reading something about husqvarna making them with small and large mounts

I think you might have a small mount 362 case, I remember reading something about husqvarna making them with small and large mounts

I had a 2005 year 362xp it was a big bar mount like the 372xp. That 362 was a very good firewood saw to me. I think the later 362s have the same crankcase as the 372. The only difference that I know of is the oiler tube. The tube coming from the pump to the bar.

My 362 special (modded with a 372 p/c) is the large mount, and it had the Walbro carb as well, Thanks to AS and some generous posters like Andre, I knew it would be a great candidate for a 372 jug.:clap:

Andre, how do you decarbon the ports?

Nice lookin pup.

Good question, and I hope other people pipe up with their methods. And yes, Little Blackie is a helluva dog. A bit of a worrier, but the nicest dog I've ever met. Not a mean bone in his body.

I use emery cloth at about 400 grit. I just fold it into the shape I need and go to town. It stays stiff enough for a while to get into the recessed areas, but it's a pain in the arse. I haven't really found a soaking agent that will release the stuff. I've tried carb cleaner, Deep Creep, and a few others, but it seem to always come down to physical removal. I got a tip from a local guy to use Hopps gun solvent, which is a very tempting idea. I'm going to give that a go and I might also try the soft copper brush from the same kit, though I will probably experiment on a trashed jug first.

is there a difference in the series?
such as 362 vs 362XP vs 362SP?

The Special really is 362xp Special!

It is mostly about the side chain tentioner, but the "Special" designation wasn't used on all markets.

I believe that the 362xps that were reintrodused in 2005 were made on the 372xp case, but have no real evidence.

Hi, Niko, thanks for chiming in... the case (I dug it back out of the trash, it is pretty thrashed) indicates 1998 as the build year. I'm not sure where that puts it in the larger scheme of things.

It makes it a 371xp based one, just as I thought.

Actually I believed all (but now I have to say most) of the 362xps were on a similiarly lightened version of the 372xp case, except the "reintro" ones from 2005, that probably were on the somewhat heavier standard 372xp case. :cheers:

The IPLs are no help, as they are about replacement parts, not original ones.

The weight numbers from Husky place the 362xp and the 365 between the 371xp and the 372xp - but your 362xp probably was a very early one, that was not reflected in the specs we can find today???

But who really knows.....

Last edited:
Good question, and I hope other people pipe up with their methods. And yes, Little Blackie is a helluva dog. A bit of a worrier, but the nicest dog I've ever met. Not a mean bone in his body.

I use emery cloth at about 400 grit. I just fold it into the shape I need and go to town. It stays stiff enough for a while to get into the recessed areas, but it's a pain in the arse. I haven't really found a soaking agent that will release the stuff. I've tried carb cleaner, Deep Creep, and a few others, but it seem to always come down to physical removal. I got a tip from a local guy to use Hopps gun solvent, which is a very tempting idea. I'm going to give that a go and I might also try the soft copper brush from the same kit, though I will probably experiment on a trashed jug first.

Try some intake cleaner in the spray can.

Back