For Free Wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryan_marine

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
It is a little late this spring for some of you but you might want to give this a try. I had a farmer ask me to clean up some fields this week. He is getting ready to get in to the fields and their are 2 hickory trees that went down in them. He said I can have all I want. I asked him about timber if there was any logs in the downed trees. He said "If there is they are yours". I could not turn it down. There is two logs in each. All I have to do is pick them up in the morning. Also about 3 cords of fire wood combined. Figured I would pass this info along. Also might want to check with the farmers in the fall. They also like to have the trees removed if the tree has limbs that extend out in to the fields as well.

Ray

Good tips. Anytime there are high winds, there will be a tree or two in the fields of my parents' farm. Fall is a good time to check, especially after the remnants of a hurricane/tropical storm blow through. The remnants of hurricane Ike in the fall of 2008 gave everyone firewood here in western PA.

Unfortunately, the farmers around here won't give up trees even if they're laying in their hay field.

Either

A) They sell firewood themselves

or

B) Their yankee frugality keeps them from giving away anything...... even if its of no use to them

I've tried. :cry:

You bet Ray. Farmers have a tendency to look at trees on the fence line as a liability more than an asset. They're in the business of growing crops, not trees.

A lot of them look at a chain saw as a necessary evil, a fickle creature that doesn't really do anything productive. They'd trade seat time in the tractor for trigger time any day.

Be prepared to hit it hard this time of year, they're gonna want it gone NOW, and cleaned up and out of their way. You're probably gonna have to be prepared to take the box elder with the oak too, you won't have a lot of luck trying to pick and choose.

Fall is possibly an even better time to approach a farmer, they'll have a fresh memory of where the deadfalls are they had to combine around, and you'll have more time to work on it after the crops are off.

PS one good way to fall from grace with them is to fail to leave a gate the way you found it. If it's open, it stays open. If it's closed, close it behind ya.

Good luck scroungers!

Back