For you pallet scroungers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen home-made versions of this tool and thought of building my own. The advantage of this one seems to be the indexable head. If I built my own, I wouldn't try to be that sophisticated, and I'd just have everything welded together. Also, the tapered tines make it easier to get under the first board. Making them that thin without bending would probably require better steel than I'm likely to find in my scrap pile. I guess I'll have to check the price and see if it's still worth building my own.

The split end spreads the force and should make it easier to get pallets apart without breaking them, but I still wonder if it makes enough difference. The problem I've always found with pallets is that the nails tend to be stronger than the wood, and the wood splits if you try to disassemble them. Not a big problem if you're making firewood, but it is if you're trying to salvage lumber.

Yup, the pine pallets reduce to tooth picks rather quickly. If you are lucky enough to not destroy the board the head of the nail seems to pull straight through the board. Then I try to pull the nail and the head pops off. I gave up on trying to salvage anything from then unless they are heavy duty pallets. I like that tool though, wonder what it cost.

Yup, the pine pallets reduce to tooth picks rather quickly. If you are lucky enough to not destroy the board the head of the nail seems to pull straight through the board. Then I try to pull the nail and the head pops off. I gave up on trying to salvage anything from then unless they are heavy duty pallets. I like that tool though, wonder what it cost.

sawzall with a metal blade, slip it down between the boards and poof, apart. I've done that some, would be handier with a cordless sawzall though.

I'll keep that in mind. I'd prefer to pull the nail if I can to I don't hit it with a circular saw if I had to cut the board... cant have it all I guess.

I'll keep that in mind. I'd prefer to pull the nail if I can to I don't hit it with a circular saw if I had to cut the board... cant have it all I guess.
Nail puller and a straight claw hammer be ya best bet going that route.

Most pallets I've seen are put together with nail guns and ring shank nails. The head will come off way before you get the ring shank out. 'Bout like trying to pull spiral shank nails out of Masonite siding, hardy-plank siding, lap siding, etc...it ain't gonna happen. Best bet is to drive them through with a nail set.

Looks like a nice tool for remodeling or salvaging old building materials. When I burned pallets, they were simply cut up, with the nails going into the fire box (some guys salvage them from the ashes with a speaker magnet dragged through the ashes). I have used a reciprocating saw / 'Sawzall' (slow), chainsaw (messy), circular saw (best). A large, commercial bandsaw would be the best choice IMO.

Philbert

That thing could be used for home defense. Cant imagine getting tooled by that bad boy would feel too good.

Looks like a nice tool for remodeling or salvaging old building materials. When I burned pallets, they were simply cut up, with the nails going into the fire box (some guys salvage them from the ashes with a speaker magnet dragged through the ashes). I have used a reciprocating saw / 'Sawzall' (slow), chainsaw (messy), circular saw (best). A large, commercial bandsaw would be the best choice IMO.

Philbert
This is what I am thinking. I have dealt with more than one deck that had a treated frame with untreated pine or cedar decking. You can still salvage lots of that stuff for other projects once the ends start to punk out to the point where the deck needs new decking.

There are other, similar, tools for disassembling a deck. The adjustable angle feature on that is nice. I used to have a pry bar, shaped like a claw hammer, that fit onto the end of a socket set ratchet - similar to that. It helps in limited access situations.

Philbert

I have a shop down the street that has lots of big 10' pallets with some descent wood in them.
I wish I could give that tool a try before spending any money on one.
I get some breakage but that's just part of salvaging.
Most of the pallet wood seems to be very brittle and even with this tool your still gonna get some breakage.
I'd love to demo one though.

Stopped at orange and big today, all they had in the wrecking bars area was like a stubby 18 inch one.the indexing part is cool though, just shove the button in, click to your setting, let it out. works nice. An associate lady I asked looked it up, I said I wanted the real big one. She walks me over to a computer and can't find it, a short one like on the rack, a discontinued like 2 foot one. No big whopper. So I get back home, there it is sitting on their website. hmm.. I try the big river source, over 200 bucks! Hmm. Guess I will try ordering one from the orange place online, listed at xx bucks. I just think it's weird I couldn't get it at the store. Maybe if I had the actual model number or sku with me, but I didn't.

edit, 79, so call it 80 bucks.

Latest posts

Back