Forestry Clearing Saw Recommendations?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpsheb

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well, I need to get a new tool. Cutting 1.5" and smaller saplings with a chainsaw is getting to be a pain in the rump. I'd like to find a good two-handled clearing saw, but for not too much (maybe a clearing saw version of the Husky 435!) Any recommendaitons, pros, cons, stay-the-hell-away-from's regarding two handled brush clearing saws?

Thanks!

Bang for the buck and 2" and smaller?

Skip the Husqvarna wallet rape, and get a FS250.
More grunt, stronger shaft and gear box, and best of all, the same price or less than the comparable Husqvarna.

I lean towards my Husky dealer for most things, but dang if Husky dosn't lose thier dadgum mind when it comes to pricing Brush saws.

Stihl dosn't do everything right, but the stuff they do, is as good as it gets.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Bang for the buck and 2" and smaller?

Skip the Husqvarna wallet rape, and get a FS250.
More grunt, stronger shaft and gear box, and best of all, the same price or less than the comparable Husqvarna.

I lean towards my Husky dealer for most things, but dang if Husky dosn't lose thier dadgum mind when it comes to pricing Brush saws.

Stihl dosn't do everything right, but the stuff they do, is as good as it gets.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Thanks Dingeryote,

Is one like this a good buy, figuring I'd still need the handlebars & a blade?
PRE-OWNED STIHL BRAND MODEL FS250R BRUSHCUTTER/STRING TRIMMER WEEDEATER | eBay

Except for Echo & Dolmar, my local dealers (Jonsered, Stihl, & Husky) are a bit high on prices for saws & cutters.

Thanks Dingeryote,

Is one like this a good buy, figuring I'd still need the handlebars & a blade?
PRE-OWNED STIHL BRAND MODEL FS250R BRUSHCUTTER/STRING TRIMMER WEEDEATER | eBay

Except for Echo & Dolmar, my local dealers (Jonsered, Stihl, & Husky) are a bit high on prices for saws & cutters.

IIRC I paid 5 bills for ours, with a blade, trimmer head and bike bars.

That IS a good price if it hasn't had the crap beat out of it, trimming residential lawns.
I dunno.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I ran a brush and weedwacker for years. Stihl was my first. When it comes to long run times must get bicycle handles and a harness.

I've now moved on to the Honda four stroke best and most comfy harness i've worn. The motor is slightly heavier but much more quiet at full speed. You can straight gas it as it is a 4 stroke. The only thing I don't like is the string head sucks for such a nice machine but you'd be cutting brush so it doesn't really apply. Stihls serated plastic head with string backup keeps you working and not messing with string.

My opinion would be run time over 1 hour blow the dough and get a bicycle handle/harness you're back will thank you a million times. Any thing less then an hour any wacker that can attach a blade will work. :rock:

I ran a brush and weedwacker for years. Stihl was my first. When it comes to long run times must get bicycle handles and a harness.

I've now moved on to the Honda four stroke best and most comfy harness i've worn. The motor is slightly heavier but much more quiet at full speed. You can straight gas it as it is a 4 stroke. The only thing I don't like is the string head sucks for such a nice machine but you'd be cutting brush so it doesn't really apply. Stihls serated plastic head with string backup keeps you working and not messing with string.

My opinion would be run time over 1 hour blow the dough and get a bicycle handle/harness you're back will thank you a million times. Any thing less then an hour any wacker that can attach a blade will work. :rock:

Thanks for the tip. I had bike handle on the list, but hadn't really thought of the harness. I've seen some clearing saws that look like the ticket, but have a single handle--how hard is it to just get the proper bike handle? (I guess I can't just take the one off my old beach cruiser)

Is this the Honda your talking about?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846
Is that a decent price (I know very little about clearing saws).

The Honda is good for smaller stuff. The FS250 is a great unit. The FS550 kicks butt, but is heavy, expensive, and thirsty. You need the bicycle handles with a brush blade. How much of an area do you need to clear and how often? How steep?

Thanks for the tip. I had bike handle on the list, but hadn't really thought of the harness. I've seen some clearing saws that look like the ticket, but have a single handle--how hard is it to just get the proper bike handle? (I guess I can't just take the one off my old beach cruiser)

Is this the Honda your talking about?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846
Is that a decent price (I know very little about clearing saws).

Both Husky and Stihl offer thier brush cutters with the Bike handles, and both sell the handles and bits required to convert. Converting to bike handle without eating up the diff. over buying a new unit will be the challenge.

And yes, you need the bike handle and harness with a brush blade. The loop works for grass and trimming, but is worthless for any amount of serious use, and can be dangerous with a blade. It's a whole new level of force involved over grannys weedwhacker.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Thanks for all the advice guys.

When I have my next big non-commercial thinning I'll spring for something like the FS550. But I want to start with something small as I get accustomed to it. For me, if I jump straight to the biggest thing out there with no time to build up "muscle memory", then big power = big mistakes.

Ultimately, I may just have to get one of each!

For 1 1/2" stuff you need at least a FS 250 sized unit or you'll be there all day on each sapling. The stihl double comfort harness is the best harness that I've used. The 4 stroke honda runs for about 45 minutes, the fs 250 for around 30 minutes and the fs 550 for around 15 minutes on a tank of fuel. The round metal cutting blades take different deflectors/limit stops than the string heads. I like the triangle blades for weeds and light brush.

For 1 1/2" stuff you need at least a FS 250 sized unit or you'll be there all day on each sapling. The stihl double comfort harness is the best harness that I've used. The 4 stroke honda runs for about 45 minutes, the fs 250 for around 30 minutes and the fs 550 for around 15 minutes on a tank of fuel. The round metal cutting blades take different deflectors/limit stops than the string heads. I like the triangle blades for weeds and light brush.

I don't mind starting small--ultimately, I will need the biggest, so there's plenty of room in the stable for more than cutter. That said, I'm leaning towards a 4-stroke to start. I know they may not have the power the 2-strokes have, but I dont mind using a small chainsaw or silkey saw (It's how I warm up in morning) to remove what they can't.

Will the Stihl double comfort harness work with most bike-handled saws? Here are the two trying to decide on:

Makita 4-stroke: http://www.amazon.com/Makita-EM4250...e-Compliant/dp/B002GU6IEO/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ol_5

Honda 4-stroke: Amazon.com: Honda Bike-Handle Trimmer - 35.8cc, 17in. Cutting Width, Model# HHT35SUKAT: Patio, Lawn & Garden

I'll start off new, since I have enough saw projects already! For those of you who have experience with these, what are your thoughts? How do those prices look? My initial gut feeling is that the Honda is more cutter for the money, although I'm not familiar with their relative qualities in terms of drive-line running gear.

The stihl harness works well with the 4 stroke honda. The honda works well for weeds and light brush, but the fs 250 and fs 550 are much faster for 3/4" and thicker stuff.

The stihl harness works well with the 4 stroke honda. The honda works well for weeds and light brush, but the fs 250 and fs 550 are much faster for 3/4" and thicker stuff.

Weeds & light brush are what I have alot of--what's keeping me from even being able to walk through some parts of the woods. Although it's great exercise, a machete gets kind of old and doesn't cut too low.

So, I think I may get that Honda and will put up as good a review as you all can expect from a newbie. Here's the best buy I've seen so far:

Honda HHT35SUKAT String Trimmer

Anywhere else I might look?

The round metal cutting blades take different deflectors/limit stops than the string heads. I like the triangle blades for weeds and light brush.

Note that Frank is telling you the same thing I said a few weeks ago. You will have to sift through the rest of the "advice".

A string trimmer and a brush cutter are similar machines. There is some overlap of parts that allow you to use one machine for both as long as you have enough power to begin with. A clearing saw is a different kind of machine! It has a shorter shaft for precise control and will always have a bike handles, limit stop and a toothed blade. A clearing saw does not work well as a string trimmer/brush cutter. A clearing saw is also expensive because it is built heavy for commercial work.

Some of the more powerful brush cutters with bike handles can be converted into a clearing saw but it will still have the long shaft of the brush cutter it was to begin with. Like Frank said you must change the plastic deflector to a limit stop. You can not cut your saplings without a limit stop and a toothed blade.

Weeds & light brush are what I have alot of--what's keeping me from even being able to walk through some parts of the woods. Although it's great exercise, a machete gets kind of old and doesn't cut too low.

So, I think I may get that Honda and will put up as good a review as you all can expect from a newbie. Here's the best buy I've seen so far:

Honda HHT35SUKAT String Trimmer

Anywhere else I might look?

It looks like folks hinted around the matter to be polite about the post concerning the Honda granny trimmer, and you're not getting a handle on things.

That Honda weed whacker is an underpowered waste of plastic and Chineese sweat, and intended to snip nothing heavier than a small clumps of lawn grass in some Yuppie suburb. Put a Blade on that thing and go after anything more rigid than a soda straw and you'll destroy it.

The shaft is made out of tinfoil, and the gearhead wont last 5 min. in brush before it's junk.

Brush cutters are heavier built to withstand the shock load of a blade, the shafts are much thicker walled and much larger in diameter to keep from flexing and bending when the blade gets deflected violently, and the powerhead makes enough grunt to keep a blade spinning.

Spend your $ as you see fit, but I would be remiss not to point out that it's a fools folly and your pending dissapointment.

Stay safe!
Dinegryote

It looks like folks hinted around the matter to be polite about the post concerning the Honda granny trimmer, and you're not getting a handle on things.

That Honda weed whacker is an underpowered waste of plastic and Chineese sweat, and intended to snip nothing heavier than a small clumps of lawn grass in some Yuppie suburb. Put a Blade on that thing and go after anything more rigid than a soda straw and you'll destroy it.

The shaft is made out of tinfoil, and the gearhead wont last 5 min. in brush before it's junk.

Brush cutters are heavier built to withstand the shock load of a blade, the shafts are much thicker walled and much larger in diameter to keep from flexing and bending when the blade gets deflected violently, and the powerhead makes enough grunt to keep a blade spinning.

Spend your $ as you see fit, but I would be remiss not to point out that it's a fools folly and your pending dissapointment.

Stay safe!
Dinegryote

Thank you Dinegryote. Relax dude,...I'm picking up what everyone's putting down and you really have no idea what I have a handle on, or don't.

I'm really not interested in this getting into a brand debate. And I don't really give a fig what someone thinks is manly or enough or is afraid might make them seem yuppified.

What I DO care about is tools that do the job on an effective lifecycle cost basis. Tools that will do the jobs that need doing, from the tinniest cutter up to a 7-foot cutter I tow behind my tractor. Because just as you are poking at a trimmer being too small, alot of tractor folks wonder why someone would even bother with teenie little hand-held trimmers. Like chainsaws, where is the rule that says one must find the saw that can do everything? I'm looking for something NEW (that is, with warrantee) and something to start with--starting small has generally worked well for me. Just because a husky 435 won't do what my Dolmar 143 or Stihl MS880 will do doesn't mean it doesn't have it's place.

So, tell you what. I have a new Shindaiwa C3410 coming. (a 2-stroke 4-stroke hybrid running on 50:1). After breaking it in, I'll be doing an 8-hour all day test and review it for the the site. We'll see how it pans out with your predictions, and I'll even be sure to put a soda straw test in there for you:bowdown:

Last edited:
Thanks y'all for all the advice! I really do appreciate the time you took share your thoughs and inputs and, even if it seems like maybe I didn't get the tool you might have, or didn't heed your advice, don't worry--I'll need a real *clearing* saw in the not-too-distant future for some of my tougher stands:)

Right now, I figured I'd take a chance brush clearing with Shindaiwa's 2/4 stroke hybrid tech, something I've been wanting to try since a couple years ago and right now, I think only Stihl & Shindy offer it. I'll be sure to share what I learn...the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Thanks y'all for all the advice! I really do appreciate the time you took share your thoughs and inputs and, even if it seems like maybe I didn't get the tool you might have, or didn't heed your advice, don't worry--I'll need a real *clearing* saw in the not-too-distant future for some of my tougher stands:)

Right now, I figured I'd take a chance brush clearing with Shindaiwa's 2/4 stroke hybrid tech, something I've been wanting to try since a couple years ago and right now, I think only Stihl & Shindy offer it. I'll be sure to share what I learn...the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Good luck! I had the Stihl KM130R that worked great as a hedger, blower, and triangular blade trimmer. If it wasn't stolen I would still be running it. Let us know how things work out for you.

Latest posts

Back