Forestry Clearing Saw Recommendations?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you Dinegryote. Relax dude,...I'm picking up what everyone's putting down and you really have no idea what I have a handle on, or don't.

I'm really not interested in this getting into a brand debate. And I don't really give a fig what someone thinks is manly or enough or is afraid might make them seem yuppified.

What I DO care about is tools that do the job on an effective lifecycle cost basis. Tools that will do the jobs that need doing, from the tinniest cutter up to a 7-foot cutter I tow behind my tractor. Because just as you are poking at a trimmer being too small, alot of tractor folks wonder why someone would even bother with teenie little hand-held trimmers. Like chainsaws, where is the rule that says one must find the saw that can do everything? I'm looking for something NEW (that is, with warrantee) and something to start with--starting small has generally worked well for me. Just because a husky 435 won't do what my Dolmar 143 or Stihl MS880 will do doesn't mean it doesn't have it's place.

So, tell you what. I have a new Shindaiwa C3410 coming. (a 2-stroke 4-stroke hybrid running on 50:1). After breaking it in, I'll be doing an 8-hour all day test and review it for the the site. We'll see how it pans out with your predictions, and I'll even be sure to put a soda straw test in there for you:bowdown:

LOL!!!
The shinny should be interesting and get you a LOT further than the Honda 4 stroke weed whacker you alluded to.
Here I was thinking you were going to bolt up an 8" blade on the weed whip and waste 300 bones. ;)

Relax your own self.;):msp_tongue:

Brand games be damned, I hope the shinny hybrid works out for you on the lighter stuff, and am looking forward to the details.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

LOL!!!
The shinny should be interesting and get you a LOT further than the Honda 4 stroke weed whacker you alluded to.
Here I was thinking you were going to bolt up an 8" blade on the weed whip and waste 300 bones. ;)

Relax your own self.;):msp_tongue:

Brand games be damned, I hope the shinny hybrid works out for you on the lighter stuff, and am looking forward to the details.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Come on now...I'm more careful than that. I'll be sure to wear my most rugged polo shirt and khakis when testing the C3410 on all the local flower beds :hmm3grin2orange:

Brambles and greenbrier plus small 1" stuff?

Wellllll.......

Why didn't ya say so. We had a good sized thread about that last year or so.

Get ahold of Baileys. You NEED one of these boogers in the proper arbor for the shinny.
The things are merciless on briars and brambles and don't pack up like a conventional blade.
I get giant clumps of blakberry canes coming up in the fields and regular blades are a joke, and the canes end up whipping around.
With the shredder blade, the clumps get obliterated like a grenade went off. Greenbrier simply evaporates, and autumn olive is satisfying to destroy with the things.

Bailey's - Windsor 300mm Shredder Blade with 3/4" Arbor

Good to hear you're adjusting to the shinny.

ETA: The refferenced thread concerning shredder blades.
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/130964-4.htm

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Last edited:
Get ahold of Baileys. You NEED one of these boogers in the proper arbor for the shinny.
The things are merciless on briars and brambles and don't pack up like a conventional blade.
I get giant clumps of blakberry canes coming up in the fields and regular blades are a joke, and the canes end up whipping around.
With the shredder blade, the clumps get obliterated like a grenade went off. Greenbrier simply evaporates, and autumn olive is satisfying to destroy with the things.

Bailey's - Windsor 300mm Shredder Blade with 3/4" Arbor

Thanks--I'll have to try that one out. I think my the limitations I'm facing right now are my own and not the machines. Nust need to plan work better and learn the ins & outs of different cutter heads. The 9" circular blade seems to do best with saplings up to 1" (just swings right through them), but it does handle 1.5" saplings & even larger if I do it carefully. On the other hand, it doesn't do much to "obliterate" the type of stuff for which merely cutting the stems is not enough. I look forward to trying the shredder blade. Wouldn't mind picking up the stihl harness as well (the shoulder strap is ok, but not that positive of a hold for me).

Maybe when I've done my first 10-acres or so of forest brush I'll have a better feel for the technique. My 14-yo pine stand is about 13-acres, so that should be a good start!

Well, I need to get a new tool. Cutting 1.5" and smaller saplings with a chainsaw is getting to be a pain in the rump. I'd like to find a good two-handled clearing saw, but for not too much (maybe a clearing saw version of the Husky 435!) Any recommendaitons, pros, cons, stay-the-hell-away-from's regarding two handled brush clearing saws?

Thanks!

Almost sounds like your needing a bushhog....just ride the tractor.

Scott (could watch TV while riding too) B

Since it looks like you already got one this may be late but I have both a Stihl FS-450 and a FS-250. Both are fantastic. The 450 will do anything I ask of it and runs a larger blade. I run both a triangle brush blade for stems less than 2 inches (it shreds better) and a Chisel tooth blade for larger diameter. The carbide tip blades (not Stihl) are great and last a long time without sharpening. Both units are fantastic with either blade.
Hope you are happy with what you decided on.

Well, I need to get a new tool. Cutting 1.5" and smaller saplings with a chainsaw is getting to be a pain in the rump. I'd like to find a good two-handled clearing saw, but for not too much (maybe a clearing saw version of the Husky 435!) Any recommendaitons, pros, cons, stay-the-hell-away-from's regarding two handled brush clearing saws?

Thanks!

1.5" no problem Weights 1.5lbs, 6150 steel. Likes leather boots, especially the toe.

View attachment 229396

Latest posts

Back