Found Some Writings...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GASoline71

Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
So I was diggin' through a pile of old Navy paperwork that I was gonna pitch in the "circular file 13", and thought I better go through it all in case there was something important.

Anyways... I found one page scribbled in pencil on the back of one of my PQS (Personell Qualification Standards) books from my first ship. It is titled... "The Big Doug". Some of it is barely legible since the pencil has faded from storage. It's only a few paragraphs... but I can remember when I was on 6 - 10 month deployments I used to write in my free time. I need to find the rest of my notebooks from past deployments... I use to write a lot about the woods, and there were 2 main characters. Jack and Marsh... 2 grizzled old wood ticks that had some good adventures.

So heres a taste... I was prolly 19 or 20 when I wrote all this stuff. So I gotta do some more diggin' to find more of it.

Enjoy!

Gary

The Big Doug

“This one’s gonna be a #####.” Jack muttered to himself as he trampled through the thick underbrush. The big Douglas Fir he had to fall was the fifth tree of this size today. The big McCulloch 450 was heavy on his shoulder as he stumbled a bit on some wild berry vines at his feet. The saw didn’t make keeping his balance any easier.

He got to the base of the tree and looked up. “What a snarled up mess.” He said aloud. Plus the tree was leaning back away from the side hill, completely backwards from where his lay was.

“####…” He muttered. He turned back and faced the side hill, then pulled a pack of smokes out of his shirt pocket. “Hey Marshal! Marsh! Bring the jacks down here and a ####load of wedges!” Jack had wedges with him, just not enough. He lit a cigarette, and started swamping out the brush around the base of the tree with his axe.

The call came back down the hill, “On the way in five!”

Good, Jack thought to himself. Marsh can bang on wedges and work the jacks while he made the cuts with the saw. Hmm… saw. Might need the big one for this job. Tree was the biggest of the day. “Hey Marsh!” He called back up the hill.

“Yeah?” Marsh hollered back…

“Bring the gear drive. We might need it on this pig!”

“Okay!” Jack was glad he wasn’t packin’ that big SOB down the hill, plus a gunny sack with 2 jacks in it. The gear drive is a McCulloch 890 with a 50” bar on it. Marsh is a tough cookie. He’ll pack it all in one trip. Jack grinned at the thought of Marsh trudging through the brush, and over snags packin’ that thing. Looks like we will earn our pay today he thought.

Marsh made it down to Jack about 45 minutes later. Jack was sitting on a small stump puffing on another cigarette. “’Bout ####in’ time.” He said through a toothy grin, as smoke passed through his teeth as he exhaled. Marsh just shook his head, and set the saw and the jacks down. He stood and looked up the spar and had to hold his hardhat from falling of the back of his head as he craned his neck skyward. “Jesus Christ! Biggest tree on this hill! What do ya figure? About 7 feet across? Close to 200?”

“200 Easy.” Jack said.

Last edited:
I liked it, and don't leave us hanging !! I want to see the tree on the ground.

Hey thanks everybody! :)

I have to find the rest. That was only one page I had scrawled out a long time ago. I'm diggin' for more... Plus when I find it, I have to type it all out. This stuff wasn't save to a computer... It was all hand written in notebooks.

Hopefully I have more to come soon!

Gary

Need to find the rest of the story so we can see how it turned out.

Hey thanks everybody! :)

I have to find the rest. That was only one page I had scrawled out a long time ago. I'm diggin' for more... Plus when I find it, I have to type it all out. This stuff wasn't save to a computer... It was all hand written in notebooks.

Hopefully I have more to come soon!

Gary

Thanks for taking the time to type it all out, I know it's difficult and takes a lot of time. :cheers:

Thanks Randy... your writing is what inspired me to look for the old notebooks. I should be able to drum some of the stories up from memory.

If not... maybe Jack and Marsh need to get their butts back out in the timber. :)

Gary

Thanks Randy... your writing is what inspired me to look for the old notebooks. I should be able to drum some of the stories up from memory.

If not... maybe Jack and Marsh need to get their butts back out in the timber. :)

Gary

They can't because they are in elk winter range. They'll have to wait until July at the earliest. Then it will be fire season and they'll be in hootowl.
They can't win. :)

I miss the column that used to appear in the Morton Journal, now The East County Journal. I think it was called, "From The Back Of The Crew Bus".
The end of every column was "Time to hit the brush." I think. :cheers:

Gary in the basement

It was dark, dusty and a bit creepy, the sudden glare of shoplights lifted the gloom, but the dark lurked in the corners. Gary paused by the forgotten projects, a sad soccer ball, that broken drawer from the dresser, that rusted Lawnboy he borrowed, broke and failed to repair. Gary only has some clue where that objects he seeks may be. They could be in that pile of boxes, left in place since the last move, buried under years of castoffs, too good to throw away, not good enough to use. Behind the boxes, a wad of fur, with tiny white stick bones, gives a name to that odor. "Bah!" While moving a 2X4 left from a shelf job, Gary hits an overhanging light, a minor cascade of dust, dead bugs and spiders filter through the dead air, hatless, Gary collects his share in what's left of his hair. The box on top has some old stuff, but not the notebooks, the next box has served as a mouse motel, the wool sweater from a birthday long past, is fit only for mice. Gary plods on, digging through stratum, a journey through time. A muffled oath is muttered as a glossy, black spider, the size of a dinner plate, scuttled from under the box just lifted, dust is raised as Gary blindly stomps. Disheartened, our lad plops his tired ass onto a stool, blows grey dust boogers in a spray, then negligently wiped a finger on a Coors lite banner he lifted from that fern bar in Lynnwood.

So, we leave our hero, contemplating lost items, listening to the patter of little spider feet...........

I tell ya, I wish i had the gift for writing like Randy and Gary. I love to read books. And I have a lot of respect for the authors who pen them. that is real talent.

Back