Four (4) Hours Left

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memetic

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Stihl 460 on e b a y w/ 24" bar, current bid $483. Does anyone think it's worth it? Should I just spend the $860 + tax for new?

What's the max I should pay for a used saw like this?

I'm ready for my 460, I just want to do it right. Please help.

Thanks.

It's gonna go off for too much. First I'd want a stihl ES bar not an un marked blade as he has described. It does not have the long style clutch cover $ 85.00 or the 3/4 wrap factory handle over $ 100. 2 dawgs w/ the roller catcher $ 38.00. No 1 year warranty inc. If it had all that & a brand new stihl piston & cylinder then I say $ 550 inc the shipping would be an ok deal.

Not trying to push it or anything, but do you got any advice on that other 460 on ebay due up in 4 days (it's at $440 now)?

I know everything about buying cars and much more used, but not too much about saws yet. I am bound to learn at some point. So far it seems going new is the best route for me. That's how I buy almost all my tools. $860 new w/, warranty & peace of mind vs $600 for used w/ no warranty & no peace of mind, or clue what has been done to the saw. The $260 seems worth it.

I am sure there are deals out there ready to be had, I just doubt that I am savvy enough to know them when I see them (or my partner - he only buys new he says).

Thanks

Not trying to push it or anything, but do you got any advice on that other 460 on ebay due up in 4 days (it's at $440 now)?

I know everything about buying cars and much more used, but not too much about saws yet. I am bound to learn at some point. So far it seems going new is the best route for me. That's how I buy almost all my tools. $860 new w/, warranty & peace of mind vs $600 for used w/ no warranty & no peace of mind, or clue what has been done to the saw. The $260 seems worth it.

I am sure there are deals out there ready to be had, I just doubt that I am savvy enough to know them when I see them (or my partner - he only buys new he says).

Thanks

$260? Thats only a couple hours of work. Buy it new.

"$260? Thats only a couple hours of work. Buy it new."

It's actually 1 hour 20 minutes, but yeah that's what I am thinking. I though I'd check out used before hand. You know how some people with tons of money don't want to spend it? I'm not exactly that guy, but I share his sentiments.

Thanks
I looked over every thing over there 036, 360, 361 ,440,460 660, 084, 880 . No good deals going on right now. My dealer has 1- MS460R w/ 32" bar left on the shelf for $910 out the door inc. the 8.25% tax. After he sells that one the replacement will be $ 40.00 more to reflect the price increase as of the first of the year. The only other deal around here was at a different dealer . Up untill 3 weeks ago he had one last 372xp huskey 25" for $699.00 +tax. $ 150.00 more than the stihl but not a 3/4 wrap or the long style clutch cover. Then you have to take into account it will be much cleaner & e-z er getting & installing the dual port factory cover than hacking up the huskey muffler if you ever decide to go that route. $ 860 is a fair price if its the R model. If not see if he will throw in a 16 or 20 ES bar for cash. They typically make 40 % on the sale & will give an extra 10% off if you buy 2 pro saw at the same time.

OILHEAD, thanks again. I won't be buying two saws at once - there's just no need at the time. We just need a new saw for groundwork. I'll take your advice about throwing in extra bars for cash etc. I'm pretty sure it's not the "R" model (not even sure if I need an "R" model?). Is that still good for $860? That is basically the going rate around here.

Stihl 460 on e b a y w/ 24" bar, current bid $483. Does anyone think it's worth it? Should I just spend the $860 + tax for new?

What's the max I should pay for a used saw like this?

I'm ready for my 460, I just want to do it right. Please help.

Thanks.

i don't think i would ever buy a used saw... jmho

:givebeer: Well out here on the right coast some of us are kind of impartial to having the 3/4 wrap mainly the ones further up north. In looking over the price #s dated 2/13/07 the MS 460 25" $ 829.95 & MS 46R 20" $ 1099.95 must have been a miss print. At that time the last price for the MS440 20" was 719.95 but no longer available from stihl NE. Arctic MS 440 20" $829.95. The introductry price on the 441 with 20" was $ 759.95. MS660 32" $ 1059.95 & MS 650 28" $ 919.95. I run all my Stihls at 45/1 or .9 of a gallon to 1 small bottle of ultra. Had to special order a case as all the dealers wont stock it because the consumers are to cheap to run it.

Thats the one he talkin about. Look closely pic # 2 & you'll see he put on plastic restore he missed a spot , spray paint rebuild check out the color difference between the front & the side where the outer dawg goes & the blade as he calls it sure isnt new good chance its a worn out hard nose.

Always a good idea to ask other arborists about a good deal on ebay - that way you can be assured that, if indeed it is a good deal, you will have plenty of competition bidding on it... :buttkick:

I know the fine people here would not do that to one another.

Anyway, how do you know I wasn't the seller? Maybe I just picked that saw up on craigslist for $250 and thought I'd sell it for profit to use for my NEW 460.

I know the fine people here would not do that to one another.

Anyway, how do you know I wasn't the seller? Maybe I just picked that saw up on craigslist for $250 and thought I'd sell it for profit to use for my NEW 460.
He He . Because the guy's in OH & your much further north. Hi. So did you get a price quote on ordering the R version ?

No price quote. I was waiting for you to tell me why I need the "R" version.

If you work for Stihl you better do some good convincing cause I got my mind set on the non-R version.

We just spent a ton of money on new stuff and upgrades and ads and shirts and business cards, and... I figure I'll get the 460 vanilla and add upgrades as needed. If I spend anymore money I think I'll puke.

No price quote. I was waiting for you to tell me why I need the "R" version.

If you work for Stihl you better do some good convincing cause I got my mind set on the non-R version.

We just spent a ton of money on new stuff and upgrades and ads and shirts and business cards, and... I figure I'll get the 460 vanilla and add upgrades as needed. If I spend anymore money I think I'll puke.
- Never noticed it before but in looking over the stihl catalog happened to notice that on the 441 there is no provision to add an outer dawg. This makes it impossiable to upgrade to a roller style chain catcher using the supplyed clutch cover instead of the chain wrecker they supply it with. Now why they dont give you the outer dawg & a roller catcher on the 460 non R version is beyond me. Then if you would like to add it then it requires purchasing both the inner & outer dawgs in addition to the roller. Same thing with the extended clutch cover why dont they just include it on the non R version as an added safety feature w/ the extended chip deflector .The R version the dealer here has on his shelf does not have the large starter handle or a drd carbide chain so guess there are variations with the way it can be ordered. Untill you mentioned it I allways thought the R stood for the 3/4 wrap version but appairently it applys to rescue. Whatever , I guess knowing what we know the only down side in all of this is these saws will out live us all. Think you know. :chainsaw:

R version is the Rescue version designed for Fire Departments as a vent saw ( cutting holes in roofs WHILE the house is burning).

I am not sure what all is included other than what was mentioned and a shield to keep hot roofing material off the muffler.

Latest posts

Back