Free to the right person

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

overwhelmed

Reaction score
Hello all...First I just want to say nice site here.I am not connected to the industry at all but have a hugh interest in the outdoors and all things woodsy.
Not sure if this is correct forum for posting my offer. I searched around a bit and the homeowners is all I really found.

What I have is some hardwoods, Oaks,,Hickory,,Maple and some Cherry trees that I want removed. I have had some cutters come out and walk the land and they did not want to offer what I feel is a good price.Which that alone isn't a problem I just don't want to give it away (for next to nothing) to someone that makes a living at logging..

I was refered here by another person on another form and stated that I may find some hobby cutters or wood workers that may be interested. Someone that may set up some sort or processing mill on my land and cut on shares..
I dont want alot of wood but a few large timbers I could use..
I'm not selling this and do need to get my immediate living area opened up.
I am not looking for commercial cutters here,,I will let it run its natural course and rot away before I let someone rape me at my cost..
I am in the Mid Mich area just west of Ann arbor Mich.
Any help would be great..Thanks

How much land are you clearing? Do you intend to sell the timber? Is that your goal?

TimberJack,
I have App. 22acres
As of right now I have no plans of clear cutting all 22 acres. I do not intend to sell the timber as I stated it is free to anyone that can use it and cut it..
I did state,, I would like to see someone with a portable saw or mill (whatever they use or call the machines) to get it. Someone that can do this and leave me a few beams behind is welcome to the logs, I dont want to see the trees go to waste,,but as I said I am not going to give it away to commercial cutters either.

I am not going to give it away to commercial cutters either.

Why not? There's very little money in timber these days. VERY little. If you get the clearing done that you're looking for, you are money ahead. Why are you so dead against someone else making a little money? And it will be a LITTLE money!

More realistically, if you want land cleared, you'll have to pay someone to do it, and a small part of his earnings will be the few trees he can sell to a mill.

Take a look at this if you don't believe me:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/zip/2097033492.html

FREE LOGS FOR FIREWOOD OR WHATEVER DELIVER WITHIN REASON (NOVA)
Date: 2010-12-05, 7:11PM EST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

HI,

I HAVE LOGS RANGING FROM 6" INCH TO 24" IN DIAMETER COMING FROM A LOT CLEANING JOB
I WILL BE LOADING THESE LOGS INTO MY DUMP TRAILER WEDNESDAY
I WILL DELIVER WITHIN REASON FOR FREE
LENGTHS WILL VARY AS WELL
I AM CUTTING THEM AS LONG AS POSSIBLE BUT AGAIN THE LENGTHS WILL VARY
SPECIES INCLUDE OAK MAPLE AND POPLAR IM PRETTY SURE THERES NO PINE IN IT

PLEASE EMAIL ME IF YOU ARE INTERESTED

WHO YOU ARE
YOUR PHONE NUMBER
YOUR ADDRESS
WHERE YOU WANT THEM DUMPED

IF YOU HAVE A CHAINSAW THIS WILL BE PERFECT FOR YOU

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 2097033492

Are you getting the picture? There is almost NO money in timber these days!

This would be a decent opportunity for a firewood cutter/supplier. Would you mind if someone set up on the place for a little while, cut and split the wood there? The less they have to handle it the more it sweetens the pot for them!
I'm to far away to even consider it.
But it would help if you could post some pictures of the area, and being a little more clear about your intentions would help with the skepticism you are facing now.
How much timber do you think you want to keep? How do you want it, dropped and left, cut and split into firewood? Milled? What?
I've had landowners want me to come out and clearcut, but they want 1/3 of what I cut, split and stacked for them. No thanks, not doing that for free, I've been burnt on that before!
Just clarify your intentions and I think you might get a better response.

I think I am interested too. I have a woodmizer LT 40 in the eastern UP. But I live 30 miles south of Saline MI. I have 20' bridge down here that needs to be rebuilt and I would rather use oak than cutting pine and using that and would like to cut some hardwoods for trim in the cabin I would like to build up north next year. I am still learning how to use the mill. But I can cut a 20' long log and think at a max of 28" dia. I also have a 90 hp kubota with a endloader to move the wood around.

It would be fun to get a bunch of us together and have a sawing GTG:clap:

Billy

I had a potential client with a big idea that his "city" black walnut was worth a fortune. I called local saw mills within 50 mi to verify what I already knew, because supposedly someone said they knew someone that would take it and so I returned the info with a bid with an option to leave the wood, mill ready or cut for firewood. He wants something for nothing too.

There is always more to it than meets the Homeowner.

It was a great networking exercise though.

I'm glad to do the work, but I'll get paid, thanks. If he wants or has someone that can make such money, then there is the log...have at that.

You might find someone so foolish too, but do you want them on your land working without insurance? Think about that. It could turn out to be a fairly expensive pile of beams and removals.

Might be cheaper, and certainly more righteous, to see to it that an honest hard working man makes an honest earning for himself.

Latest posts

Back