Friction saver use for rigging?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dadatwins

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Had an idea to use a pre-made friction saver as a rigging point on a job. Situation is an uprooted white oak 16" x 40' leaning over a wooden swing set. Tree is leaning toward a pine 15" x 70', which is the closest tree to use as a rigging point. My idea was to big shot a line into the pine, set the friction saver up around the pine trunk and run a line thru the rings and then into the top of the oak. Then cut the oak off at the bottom and start lowering it down a few feet at at time. cutting off sections as it comes down. With one person lowering the oak as it is cut , no real shock loading the friction saver or the rope since the weight is on the ground. The friction saver line would basically be a guide line to keep the oak upright as it comes down. Not a real big deal to go up and put a block and pulley in the pine but thought I would try something different and never leave the ground. Any thoughts?

After you use if for rigging it becomes rigging gear. No more climbing on it.

As long as you stay within the safety/design factors of the false crotch, what's the difference?

OK on the rigging use only that is a given. As for rating on the friction saver, I called Buckingham and was told the item is designed for climbing and rated at 350 lbs. Any other use is NOT recomended by the manufacturer. I questioned this as I thought climbing gear had to be rated at 5000 lbs minimum, but the girl on the phone said Buckingham would not stamp the item at that weight due to liability from misuse.

Hmmm, I'm concerned that they wouldn't stamp 5000lbs on it. It's one thing if they just DIDN'T, but to say that they wouldn't...that's another thing.

How are we supposed to have faith in their gear if the manufacturers themselves don't?

love
nick

Dada, Everything will probably hold together-it is all overbuilt -but the line radius is terrible over the rings and it turns climbing gear into seldom used rigging gear.Ixne on the Buck frictionsaver BUT....... Why not build a rigging friction saver? A piece of line or webbing a couple of quick links and a pulley along with a few minutes work would make a rigging friction saver rated at whatever materials you choose to incorporate and you could use it without fear.

Thanks for the ideas folks, had not given much thought to the sharp angle on the rope being a problem, probably just go up and put a block up. I was thinking of something easy to install from the ground that would go around the trunk of the pine and not have to go back up to retrieve it later. Might fool around with some screw links and bull rope and see what I can put together with a smoother angle. As for rating, info comes from buckingham 800# and I admit to being a little confused as to why they will not stamp the item with a rated load.

NickfromWI said:
How are we supposed to have faith in their gear if the manufacturers themselves don't?
Like last summer when I was traveling home through Ohio and called Weaver to see if I could swing a few miles out of my way to pick up a saddle from them.  The gal says they won't sell me one for liability reasons because I might try to use it to climb a tree in my back yard or something.

I was able to get her supervisor on the phone and get him to clarify that to the totally unrelated fact that they merely don't have a retail sales mechanism in place.

Good help is hard to find, right?

Glen

Dadatwins said:
...As for rating, info comes from buckingham 800# and ...

Hmmmm, what do they mean that it's rated to #800lbs. That label is a bit obscure? Is that the SWL, if so, at 5:1 that's only 4000lbs. Is that a 10:1 safety ratio?

I prefer that ALL gear just have the breaking strength (Average or Minimum....either one works for me) on it. That way I can determine my own SWL.

love
nick

See page #23 of Sherrills 2004 catalog, top left. Has a FS by Buckingham and at the bottom of the write up is says 6000 lb load rating. HC

NickfromWI said:
Hmmmm, what do they mean that it's rated to #800lbs.

I was refering to the 800 phone number, when I posted that, sorry if it was confusing. As for catalog, I saw the print numbers but it is not stamped on the item which is why I called and questioned it. Found a 2003 sherrill catalog and it shows the load rating stamp attached to the the item.The counter guy at vermeeer was just as confused because he thought they were all stamped as well. Some one probably did something they should not have with one of these things, got hurt or damaged something, and Buckingham pulled the sticker to avoid liability. Just a guess. ;)

Couldn't you rig up a nice little rigging FS like someone up the thread recommended using clevises/shackles of different sizes and loops of "as strong as you need" material?
You could even work the same trick using a smal clevis and a rigging pulley, no?

Posted over at Sherrills to get some info about the load ratings on the friction savers, hopefully they have some info about this.

jmchristopher said:
You could even work the same trick using a smal clevis and a rigging pulley, no?

Why go that route when you can use the block and set the line up to retrieve it from the gorund? Even if it's just a fishpole set up.

There is a way to set up a ret. block so that it does not put any MA on the rigging point, I'm sure Kenny has the diagram somewhere, and it's in "..The Companion" too if I reacll properly.

I don't know if this is exactly what your looking for JP, if it isnt it gives me a chance to play with my scanner I got for a Christmas present that we finally got around to making room for in the office and getting it hooked up.

Here goes I hope I do it right

Latest posts

Back