From Poulan to Stihl Ms390

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crane

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score

A while back I posted about a buddy of mine who ran over his saw(it was a poulan 295 pro, accident?, I think not). Well, he just got back into town an announced that he has purchased a Stihl Ms390...!!!
Now that is a BIG step up from what he had, but I'm happy for him. Knew that he was going to get something bigger than my 034. He said that the dealer would supply him with 2 chains as part of the deal. He's running a 20" bar. My suggestion was some RSC chain for the clean stuff, but am stumped as to what the other should be.
We cut fire wood and it is almost all softwood. My thinking is if he gets two different chains we could check out the performance on them(hey they are free) anyone got any suggestions? He is by no way a pro sawyer, hey neither am I, what would run good on wood on the ground??

Good deal on the 390! Try some semi chisel if ya'll cut some dirty wood. The RSC is very fast in clean stuff but dulls quickly in dirty conditions. It's hard to beat Stihl chain, built like their saws, very tough.:clap:

Good deal on the 390! Try some semi chisel if ya'll cut some dirty wood. The RSC is very fast in clean stuff but dulls quickly in dirty conditions. It's hard to beat Stihl chain, built like their saws, very tough.:clap:

I have 33RSC on my 034, and love it, but reading posts here has taught me to keep it in the CLEAN wood or get good with the file...LOLOLO
What semi chisel would you go with?

I have 33RSC on my 034, and love it, but reading posts here has taught me to keep it in the CLEAN wood or get good with the file...LOLOLO

I like RMF myself because there are not that many cutters to sharpen. I'm not sure what the pre made loops are named, I have mine made off a reel....

Sure, the Univent is an awesome saw.

But I can get a 385Xp to run circles around an MS460

Oh, it's a 460 now?? LOLOLOL, last time it was a 660, hahahahaha. You have got to be a fuggin idiot.:buttkick:

Bring your 385 on down, I got a 460 with your name on it. After that, I will sent you back to hell where you belong.:clap:

Oh, it's a 460 now?? LOLOLOL, last time it was a 660, hahahahaha. You have got to be a fuggin idiot.:buttkick:

Bring your 385 on down, I got a 460 with your name on it. After that, I will sent you back to hell where you belong.:clap:

+1. He makes less sense with every post.

... He said that the dealer would supply him with 2 chains as part of the deal. He's running a 20" bar. My suggestion was some RSC chain for the clean stuff, but am stumped as to what the other should be. ....

Several RSC, and some RMC for the odd dirty stuff .....:clap: :clap:

372xp > MS390

End of story.

Tool:
A person typically male, who says or does things that cause you to give them a 'what are you even doing here look'. The 'what are you even doing here look' is classified by a glare in the tools direction and is usually accompanied by a muttering of how big of a tool you are. The tool is usually someone who is always unwelcome. The tool is always making comments that are out of place, out of line or just plain stupid. The tool is always trying to hard to fit in, and because of this, never will.

I run RM or RMC sometimes on my 390 (with 20" bar) when I have to cut wood dug out of piles. Works well.

Sure, the Univent is an awesome saw.

But I can get a 385Xp to run circles around an MS460

you my friend are a tool. At least you smartened up and changed you thought process from the 660.

I can make a 460 run circles around a modded 385. What is your point?

The poster was asking about chain types, not which saw you think he needs. You are nothing more than a troll that needs to take a permant vacation from this site.

Now back to the topic,

As for the chains go, get a loop of RSC and RM. That will give you the fast cutting chisel for the clean wood and the semi chisel for the dirty wood. I have both kinds, but prefer the faster cutting RSC for 90% of my cutting needs. I only break out the RM for logs that are dragged out of the woods, or a dirty stump.

Listen to Freakingstang. I keep at least one loop of each for each saw I plan to cut dirty stuff with. The RM chain works great in dirty wood, Its good chain. In clean wood the RS chain is faster, but the rm chain isnt terrible either. If you could only buy one style chain for all wood, go with the rm.

As for the chains go, get a loop of RSC and RM. That will give you the fast cutting chisel for the clean wood and the semi chisel for the dirty wood. I have both kinds, but prefer the faster cutting RSC for 90% of my cutting needs. I only break out the RM for logs that are dragged out of the woods, or a dirty stump.[/QUOTE]

Hear you all on the Rm chain. Thanks for the advice.

The Rm chain easier to sharpen or is it the semi-chisle that works better in dirty conditions???

Back