Frozen Wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the westspartan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Have any of you ever run into to problems when milling frozen wood? Is this something you do, or do you just wait until spring?

I have been pushing right on through the winter, just shoveling the snow off of the logs and getting to it. Will I need to consider anything additional with drying /seasoning? Will the cold weather halt the drying process until the wood thaws?

Opinions and observations please.

I mill my logs win frozen it may take a little longer but not much i am using cs mill so i don't know if it would different for band saw or not .make sure after milling stacking and stickering if your wood is out side that u cover with the top with something like old metal roofing or something to shed the snow or watter but don't cover sides as u want them to git air

I mill my logs win frozen it may take a little longer but not much i am using cs mill so i don't know if it would different for band saw or not .make sure after milling stacking and stickering if your wood is out side that u cover with the top with something like old metal roofing or something to shed the snow or watter but don't cover sides as u want them to git air

I am also using a chainsaw mill and have not noticed much difference other than freezing my a** off! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

to avoid freezing my but off i have a 30x30 shed that i have bin using for my milling although its a little drafty but better then being totally out in the elements i have bin stacking my milled logs on one side of it and milling on the other side its filling up fast i am milling d logs for a log cabin and i figure i need about 150 d logs so i will have it filled up way before I'm finished. i have a separate room 10x10 off it that i have a wood stove in that i can take breaks in an re sharpen my chains in

Right now I am just milling in the woods on my land at the sight of the fallen tree, or where I drop it when I cut it down. I have no finished structures on my land so far, and no equipment to move logs or cants. IMO that is the beauty of chainsaw milling. The only thing I move over any distance are finished boards. The obvious downside is working in the weather, which isn't really all that bad most of the time. Plus I got a nice pair of silk and wool long underware for Christmas, that should make the cold a little easier to take.

to avoid freezing my but off i have a 30x30 shed that i have bin using for my milling although its a little drafty but better then being totally out in the elements i have bin stacking my milled logs on one side of it and milling on the other side its filling up fast i am milling d logs for a log cabin and i figure i need about 150 d logs so i will have it filled up way before I'm finished. i have a separate room 10x10 off it that i have a wood stove in that i can take breaks in an re sharpen my chains in

How big will your cabin be when it is done, and what kind of wood are your building it from? I am looking forward to seeing some pictures when your done.

30x30 with a 10x10 addition bath room off of the master bedroom for the wife i am thanking of building either a vertical log cabin or piece'en piece so my logs are short 8ft easy fore 1 or 2 people to construct I need to decide what construction method to use soon I'm just not completely sure yet . I am using tulip poplar as there plentiful on my property . It is gonna take me awhile before actual construction begins probable this spring before i start the foundation but that will give me plunty of time to git treas felled and milled and dried

Tulip poplar cuts rather easily with a chainsaw, so thats a plus! Its also relatively lightweight when DRY for a hardwood. Another plus is that you won't be constantly cleaning pine pitch for your saw, and self.

I've been sawing pine & spruce the last few weeks that are froze pretty good. With frozen logs, the biggest gripe I have is the bark is froze on too. Logs with lose falling off bark, I usually knock it off outside the mill, any dirt goes with it, and I don't have to deal with it inside the mill barn. From the looks of the weather, it won't be falling off anytime soon.

Latest posts

Back