Full skip or semi skip?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttyR2

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
On longer bars, 28" and longer, is semi skip or full skip the way to go? Cutting mostly soft wood. I'll be using Stihl RSK chain.

I'm using a half skip, semi, probably cutting most the same stuff you are. I like half skip, using on a 440, 28". Sometimes I want a couple extra cutters. On a 91 driver bar it only adds about six cutters. My experiment on this one is the triangular file. I like.

28" isn't all that long IMHO. I run full comp on my 32" bar and it does well, but I normally don't cut softwood.

Here is a 441 and 576 running a 28" bar with full-comp chain, in about the softest wood I know of. Basswood.

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7LWq5_9UoYU?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7LWq5_9UoYU?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Last edited:
The semi skip is a little less grebby in limbs,it seems to bore cut better too

Switching to Ethanol Free Gas...any problems?

Been running the regular ethanol in my 5020 Poulan...but just found a slew of ethanol free gas stations close by so I'm switching.
I've heard everything from I'll need to mod my carb, to trash the saw now, or you'll need a tune up.
Mind you, I've only run 1 full tank through this new saw and it's been sitting for about 2 months idle.:confused2:

Any advice?

Reggie

On longer bars, 28" and longer, is semi skip or full skip the way to go? Cutting mostly soft wood. I'll be using Stihl RSK chain.

What is the bar mounted to?

Although, in soft wood, I don't see a need for full skip unless you are way, way underpowered...but then I would say to increase the powerhead.

I'm still on full comp for a 28" but if you want to run a skip sequence I would use half skip. I run RSLHK from 34-42".

I'm still on full comp for a 28" but if you want to run a skip sequence I would use half skip. I run RSLHK from 34-42".

+1 :msp_thumbup:

At 28" full comp is a sweet deal for the modded 044/440 and the 066/660s we have.
I like half skip on 36" and even 42" on the Snellerized 880. we file the rakers down a touch in softwood.

The 72" bar is full skip...them chips have a long way to go thru the cut...:msp_wink:

Have a fine day and Saw Safe

Probably whichever feels and cuts best on your saw in your hands. The ethanol percentage does play a giant role in the chain selection, but the math involved in making the calculation is probably beyond the scope of this thread

Then go to Chehalis where there are two great places.:D
There are two places in Longview also, one named after the local river here. They are almost next door to each other, but Chehalis is closer for me.

It's 85 miles but I can back door it. Still have to get on I 5 , Yuck.

some actually have to travel more than 20 min in Washington state to get chain ,say it isn,t so

Back