Full Skip

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Allow higher rpm/chain speed (long bars, lower HP). Clears chips/noodle better.

If you don't care about the above, full comp will cut faster.

Last edited:
Andddd

You only have 1/2 the teeth to file if your wood is dirty and your chain dulls alot... Doesn't cut as fast as comp, but the difference is marginal especially when cutting in softwood you don't see a ton of difference... When cutting in hardwoods you'll see it for sure... But your saw doesn't have to work near as hard and runs cooler I believe... I use it on anything 20" or bigger. Since being introduced to it I swear by it...

:cheers:

By my experience with full skip it takes some strain off of the saw and actually it seems to cut faster than full comp. I do see more of a difference in hardwood like hickory, oak,and cherry. But I wouldnt want to use it for limbing because of vibes and kickback.

An advantage to full skip that has not been mentioned:

You can run a longer bar with full skip than you can with full house, e.g., I have need for a 24" bar occasionally. I use a 25" bar on my 310 with full skip. I wouldn't even try a 25" on that saw with all the cutters.

Harry K

My understanding is 'full house' means every possible chain link holds a cutter tooth. I've never seen one in person or for sale, only in photos...I think they are custom made.

Regular chain has a link between every tooth.

Full skip has two links between every tooth.

Half skip has one link between two teeth....and then two links between the next tooth...and then one link between the next one. then two links between the next....

Thanks. I "assumed" that full house was the normal chain. I, too, have never seen a chain with tooth-tooth-tooth. Dang, now I will have to go investigate the chains.

Harry K

Here is a photo I saved that was post some time ago......I wish I had a method of keeping track of who sends these in....its been a couple of years ago now.

attachment.php

JimL posted that pic in 2004. It was his attempt at a fast chain and it turned out slower than full comp. I think there is an A. Martin full house chain photo floating around here somewhere.

I run skip on all my 20" and above. It seems to cut faster because it clears the chips quicker and it also seems to generate less heat (hence less stretch). And I sure as heck don't want to file 45 cutters on my 93 link chain!!!!

It's hard not to notice you are good at finding and posting this kind of info.

Thanks!

Dan

PS. Someone has an avitar that was a sprocket....with what looked like rivited full house chain surrounding it. Now that is just crazy! :)

You talking about StihlTech's Rim with all cutters on it? lol

I always liked that.

I must be the only one who has never used full half or semi skip chain.

I've got a couple loops for the 36" bar, but have never used them. The full comp chain works fine in hardwood.

Sharpening? lol you take more swipes with less cutters, or less swipes with more cutters, what's it matter?

Long bars, Big Wood

Skip chain shins on the big wood (Fir, Spruce, Hemlock) and big saws with long bars. Pulls the chips out better, less clogging than with regular chain.

AND, when I am out far away from the shop bucking something big, and the chain on the 42" bar needs touching up with a file, sure is a lot faster with full skip!

Reminds me, I have a fir to buck up that blew down in the November windstorm we had here. About 4 ft at the butt, time to get in next year's firewood.

Latest posts

Back