Full wrap handlebar???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihl026man

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Im thinking about putting a full wrap handlebar on my 372xp thinking it will give me better manuverability in different cutting situations... Just looking for some input from guys who have them or used saws with full wraps to help me make my decision...

Zack

I was thinking of putting one on one of my 2171's, so I would say very good question I am awaiting answers on this one, thanks for askin.

I have a souped up 371, a 2171, a 394 and a 395, they all have wrap handles, and big dogs. A 70cc saw without wrap handles is stupid, unless you are flush cutting stumps. I am sure we will soon hear about how you don't need one, or dogs and that all you need is 16" bar, whatever. Think about this one, how can you make a humbolt on the good side without one, easily?

Thought wrap handles wernt allowed East of the Rockies unless you Have a PNW card and really long bars.
Seriously 044,460,056.066 all have wraps use em all the time gives some extra angels.

Thought wrap handles wernt allowed East of the Rockies unless you Have a PNW card and really long bars.
Seriously 044,460,056.066 all have wraps use em all the time gives some extra angels.

You stoled my humor. Oh well, I don't have a full wrap so should be banished to the east. Sposed to get bigger dogs too. :(

I have a souped up 371, a 2171, a 394 and a 395, they all have wrap handles, and big dogs. A 70cc saw without wrap handles is stupid, unless you are flush cutting stumps. I am sure we will soon hear about how you don't need one, or dogs and that all you need is 16" bar, whatever. Think about this one, how can you make a humbolt on the good side without one, easily?

Good post...

Couldn't have said it better myself. :)

Gary

I don't have one for my 372 because I can't see myself spending almost a third of what I paid for the entire saw on some bent pieces of tubing.

I'll be the contrarian in this thread. I prefer a more compact saw in the less than 80 cc range so I don't run full wrap on my 371 or 7900s. One of the really nice things about a 440 for example is the compact size, and a FW seems out of of place to me on one.

I do have FW on my 066, 395, 3120 (came with both bars for occasional big flush cut) and 880. I do like the flexibility when cutting larger stumps.

Two more notes:
I have had problems with the afermarket husky FW bars fitting, and the two I bought in the past (371 395) had to be returned and the OEM FW bars fit perfectly.

Husky FW bars have the lower crosspiece solid under the saw in the chip stream which makes noodling a real pain as opposed to Stihl FW which are designed with no bar crossing below the saw.

Last edited:
A FW has helped me out in the past. On my P/P42 and the old McC and the 051. I ain't really gotta corner hold with two fingers to swivel it. Now if I can find a place that makes a FW for my 359, without me going to the local saw shop. I would be pretty happy.

I don't have a single saw without a wrap. If you are serious about your saw and using it to the best it can be used, wrap it. For me and how I use a saw, I agree with clearance a saw without is stupid. A saw is a tool, for it to work proper and maximize your ability, comfort, capability, safety set it up correctly. Would you work on your rig using a socket set with no ratchet?

Owl

I think a full wrap is a personal thing as to feel and cutting situations.
I like them! wish even my little Poulans had them. Seems I am always cutting on a steep hill side or mountain. Unlike the PNW guy's& gals I don't cut big trees the rocky's help keep the rain away so my trees are scrawny:( But I like full wraps just a blink of the eye and you have flipped the saw and are cutting wile maintaining a good footing and are safer.
P.S just checked my mail box my tax refund is here! going to call Scott at the Cutting Edge and order me a full wrap for my 7900

Last edited:
If you are serious about your saw and using it to the best it can be used, wrap it. For me and how I use a saw, I agree with clearance a saw without is stupid. A saw is a tool, for it to work proper and maximize your ability, comfort, capability, safety set it up correctly. Would you work on your rig using a socket set with no ratchet?

Owl

I consider myself fairly serious about using saws, but not all woodcutting is felling trees to the ground. With my work the majority of my time is spent cutting with a HW, although I always have on site at least one big FW saw for when I need it.

Another example is arborists generally don't want full wrap on a mid sized saw (like a 7900) up a tree.

So both style bars have their place, just like 3/8 and 1/2 inch drive ratchets.

Last edited:
Another example is arborists generally don't want full wrap on a mid sized saw (like a 7900) up a tree.

Ain't no problem in a tree, I have blocked down many. A 288XP with a 32" bar, wrap handle works fine, for example, the wrap is no big deal.

Ain't no problem in a tree, I have blocked down many. A 288XP with a 32" bar, wrap handle works fine, for example, the wrap is no big deal.

It's a preference thing, I say whatever works for you.

The long time high powered arborists I personally know generally prefer a half wrap on a mid sized saw like a 7900 because it's more compact for general climbing. When my brother for example bought a 7900 it came with a FW and he swapped it out to a HW for his rope and saddle work.

When he is using a bigger saw up a tree it's for chunking and a FW is not in the way as much as it is with general climbing.

A plus for full wrap is that the offer a bit more protection from dropping,etc.

Me, I try to stay on the ground.

Last edited:
Back