Fungus

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My teacher "julie roach" taught me that fruiting bodies on "eucalyptus" was not curable and that the tree would fail / die soon after.

Sean you may have seen some of her pictures.

The relationship between any tree (Eucalyptus sp included) and wood decay fungi is not quite that simple.

Simply because you see a fruiting body does not mean that because of the wood decay fungi the tree will fail or die. My advice in regard to fungi and their impact on trees is fairly straight forward;
  • Try to learn how to identify the fungi in your area, both those which are parasites, saprophytes and those which are mycorrhizal (and of course the diversity between!).
  • Try to learn the characteristics of the various decay fungi that live in your area, and the relationships they have with their host trees - how they innoculate, grow and develop in the tree and how the tree responds.
In the dry tropics of Townsville there are very very few wood decay fungi that can signficantly challange the integrity of healthy new growth. IMO fungal fruiting bodies should (depending on their ID) be indicators for closer more detailed inspection...nothing more and nothing less.

Latest posts

Back