Funniest thing happened last night...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoosier daddy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Was just about to sit down for dinner last night and the wife sees someone pulling in the drive...I figure it's the son or friends so go out to the garage to greet them and low and behold it's the propane delivery man. I walk out to his truck as he's getting ready to unroll the hose and tell him that it's not necessary...He proceeds to tell me that by his calculations I'm getting close to 5% and with the weather staying cold he needs to fill us...I tell him that we still have 60% and that I'm not buying any propane until I call him...He kind of laughs at me and proceeds to the lid and checks the gauge... What to you know...60% on the mark. He starts to tell me that somethings wrong because we use way more that that and about that time the sweet smell of cherry burning in my furnace wafts between us...

It was just like a light turned on...I could see it in his eyes and all I could do is smile. We talked for a bit and he went on to explain that since the corn was so dry this year his sales were really slow and on and on...I politely told him that "I will call when I need you" I am now heating with wood and to have a great evening.

What an evening

chalking up a tally in the "Man" column "Times Stuck To" row....

i.e .... Way to "Stick-It-To-The-Man" !

Even better would be to also sell him a load of firewood sometime later....

Last edited:
I've been out maul splitting a few times when the oil truck stops to fill my neighbor's tanks. I always give 'em a big grin. I haven't turned the oil heat on since about 2003, so I'm sure the oil left in the tank is completely unusable.

Just got my second notice this year that our account is at risk of being cancelled. We're not on auto delivery.

We don't heat with propane - just for showers. We have a gas range, but rarely use it. Mostly bbq in the summer and use the cookstove Sep - May.

A 40-gal tank keeps us in daily hot showers for 3 months.

Nice he was thinking of you though, and a top off on a regular route is cheaper for folks than a frantic call for special delivery. I don't think it was slick, they try to top off this time of year around here, for the weather and roads. If you don't need it though, good on ya.

I really do envy all of you when your saving on the LP/oil bill. I would really love to install a OWB and then use a water to air exchanger on the new furnace.. But the Parents actually own the land and house...Even though I did buy a wood furnace for the shop..

2 months ago I dropped $450 on lp for about 250 gallons. Looks like within a week or so I might be doing it again..

2 months ago I dropped $450 on lp for about 250 gallons. Looks like within a week or so I might be doing it again..

You got a good price. I asked a couple weeks ago what propane was going for and it was something in the neighborhood of $2.35 a gallon.

Ian

I had them come pick up my propane tank last year. We heat probably 98% wood now. Just a couple of little electric space heaters used in the back rooms when needed.

I had my 200 gallon oil tank filled 3 years ago. Still has 200 gallons in it. Nice to know its there in case we have a long power outage. 200 gallons of furnace oil would keep my diesel generator going for a long time.

'Nice he was thinking of you though, and a top off on a regular route is cheaper for folks than a frantic call for special delivery. I don't think it was slick, they try to top off this time of year around here, for the weather and roads.' (Teatersroad)

Absolutely...I'm not against the delivery man, he's actually a very nice man and has done an excellent job taking care of us over the past years. It's just that we burnt 1800 gallons of propane last year...at $2.35...that's $4320 in my pocket not his..I did feel a little sorry for him, sales of propane are off a bunch from last year and I am sure he has a boss somewhere that cares less why he isn't selling...He is just a guy doing his job...still doesn't make me want to go backwards and buy some LP...

'Nice he was thinking of you though, and a top off on a regular route is cheaper for folks than a frantic call for special delivery. I don't think it was slick, they try to top off this time of year around here, for the weather and roads.' (Teatersroad)

Absolutely...I'm not against the delivery man, he's actually a very nice man and has done an excellent job taking care of us over the past years. It's just that we burnt 1800 gallons of propane last year...at $2.35...that's $4320 in my pocket not his..I did feel a little sorry for him, sales of propane are off a bunch from last year and I am sure he has a boss somewhere that cares less why he isn't selling...He is just a guy doing his job...still doesn't make me want to go backwards and buy some LP...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-Fuxn18GRM

In a lot of cases the Propane Co. provides tank, fixtures, service to the house. In exchange you lock into their service, which can include 'topping off' during routine route service, and a sur-charge for special delivery. Surprise, they are a business operating with a business model designed to be profitable. You imply the driver is a pawn of the 'man' somehow, and the business is corrupt. It is possible that you are wrong.

I bought my house on Jan 27th this year. Before installing my stove and improving the insulation, I would have been on track this year to burn somewhere between 1800-2400 gallons of LP, (based on records for the previous tenants when it was a rental). I went through a tank in 6 weeks after buying the house and had the stove installed 2 days afterwards. I've worked on the insulation some with more to come. That tank lasted until about 3 weeks ago. Once I have my Crappy Armstrong 77% efficiency unit (Highly doubtful of THAT rating) with a 95% efficiency Carrier unit, I think that I should be able to stretch a tank to about a year to a year and a half, as the only other gas burning device I gave is the oven. That will save me exponentially in the future!!! I have nothing against the gas companies, as with all other business's, they're out to make a profit and be a legitimate, viable company. I feel for their loss of revenue, but like a business, saving my own revenue is of 'Capital' importance to me. Then I will have more $$$ to care for my CAD, TAD, MAD, GAD and BAD, not to mention my Wife. Just for reference that was Chainsaw, Tractor, Motorcycle, Gun and Beer,.... I sure am glad that I have cheap tastes!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I have been with the same oil delivery since I bought this old shack. They tried to get me on automatic refill but I explained I would be heating with wood and want 'on-call- only. No problem since. Last fill up was the year gas was over $4 a gall and oil the same. I added a half bottle of the fuel preserver (similar to stabil but for diesel).. Checked the tank recently. 95% full yet.

Neighbor was straight oil and that truck was over there about once a month. Their cleaning service said they kept the house around 80 all the time and that was in a house built back in the 40s with no insulation and a converted coal furnace burning oil. Wow! Glad I didn't have thier oil bill.

Harry K

You got a good price. I asked a couple weeks ago what propane was going for and it was something in the neighborhood of $2.35 a gallon.

Ian

At work today the propane truck driver was filling the forklift tanks at their outside storage racks. I asked him what the current price was, and he said $2.89/gallon. Back in the summer I topped off my 500-gallon tank at home with the year's lowest price of $2.64/gallon. They only fill to 80% (400 gallons max). That bill was $900. Even though I've long since killed the power to my LP furnace, we still use propane for the hot water heater, clothes dryer and cook range. Down to just 1 delivery a year since heating 100% with wood. Used to get about 4 or 5 LP deliveries back when on automatic delivery. ANd that was keeping the house in the 60's. I tell the wife "Now we heat like millionaires"!

Surprise, they are a business operating with a business model designed to be profitable.

Nothing wrong with that, I've made money myself buying and selling natural gas. Does that mean I don't get to grin as the gas truck goes by my house?

You imply the driver is a pawn of the 'man' somehow, and the business is corrupt. It is possible that you are wrong.

No pawnage or corruption was inferred or implied. 'The Man' means different things to different people. Some think it's anybody they pay on a monthly basis, whether it's a corrupt politician, a cell phone company or an innocent propane salesman.

However, since I failed to put a smiley after my link, I'll take full responsibilty for offending and will give you a full refund. From now on, I promise full disclosure.*

*This post may contain sarcasm and/or humor.

Nothing wrong with that, I've made money myself buying and selling natural gas. Does that mean I don't get to grin as the gas truck goes by my house?

No pawnage or corruption was inferred or implied. 'The Man' means different things to different people. Some think it's anybody they pay on a monthly basis, whether it's a corrupt politician, a cell phone company or an innocent propane salesman.

However, since I failed to put a smiley after my link, I'll take full responsibilty for offending and will give you a full refund. From now on, I promise full disclosure.*

*This post may contain sarcasm and/or humor.

:hmm3grin2orange:

Back