Future Death

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I speak in many different tongues.:jawdrop:

I was thinking how the hell did I get on here. But I had to post this. Made a joke had the guys around thinking it would take 3 posts. That was the over under, but I was wrong.:cry:

If the man falls to his death one day, a part of the world will call him a nut-case who met the only end he was fated. The rest of the world will know he lived a life worth living. For him to stop climbing and "live a safe life" would be the same as death.

Darin said:
I am putting this one here, because this guy has to be the next guy in this section. The guy is completely off his rocker.

http://www.umor.onru.ru/umor/open/1951/

Was on one of the Russian sites I frequent.

Thanks for the link. I spent 21 years in AF as a RU linguist. Dropped it after I retired. Will be digging into it later. I find I can still read the stuff (sorta).

Harry K

sedanman said:
If the man falls to his death one day, a part of the world will call him a nut-case who met the only end he was fated. The rest of the world will know he lived a life worth living. For him to stop climbing and "live a safe life" would be the same as death.

And some will point out that this selfish ass caused many headaches and lost time & money to countless people as he indulged his selfish desire to climb other people's buildings when he felt like it, without any regard to the trouble and expense he was causing other people.

He isn't living a life worth living. He's just selfish and immature.

Sounds like someone missed his nap! What expense? Paying a few cops to watch him climb so they can arrest him when he gets to the top? They were paying these cops anyway, and no I don't think anyone got away with anything that they otherwise would not have had the cops been doing something else. This guy has skills and surely a desire to live a long life. How much does it cost to talk jumpers down from bridges and buildings and then send them to the looney bin and spend fortunes on convincing them that life is worth living. If he were fall and even land on someone the most this would cause is a few casualties and a run on dry cleaning. Ted Kennedy has killed more people than this climber and I don't hear you calling for his head. I'm glad I live in a world where people like this exist, your safe, sanitary, world saddens me.

sedanman said:
Sounds like someone missed his nap!

I'm out of patience with spoiled children in adult bodies.

sedanman said:
What expense? Paying a few cops to watch him climb so they can arrest him when he gets to the top? They were paying these cops anyway, and no I don't think anyone got away with anything that they otherwise would not have had the cops been doing something else.

Cops. Fire equipment. Paramedics. Fuel. Traffic diversion. Interupption of other people's lives so he can have his thrills.

sedanman said:
This guy has skills and surely a desire to live a long life.

So what? That gives him carte blanch to do as he pleases?

sedanman said:
How much does it cost to talk jumpers down from bridges and buildings and then send them to the looney bin and spend fortunes on convincing them that life is worth living.

Well, I don't know. Since it's completely irrelevant to this issue, at this moment I don't care.

sedanman said:
If he were fall and even land on someone the most this would cause is a few casualties and a run on dry cleaning.

Right. And this very real possiblity is okay because "This guy has skills"?? :dizzy:

Well, I'm pretty skilled with a rifle. Can I go over to D.C. and take out a few worthless Congress Critters that I don't like? Hey, it must be okay, because I've got skills!

sedanman said:
Ted Kennedy has killed more people than this climber and I don't hear you calling for his head.

Well, since Ted Kennedy has nothing to do with this issue, no, you don't hear me bringing it up here. I'm also not using this thread to call for the death penalty for drunk drivers, elected officials who flagrantly violate their oath of office, or judges who defer to international opinion instead of our Constitution. Why do you suppose that is?

(HINT: Think "not relevant to this topic".)

sedanman said:
I'm glad I live in a world where people like this exist, your safe, sanitary, world saddens me.

If you think it's okay for this spoiled brat to endanger other's lives because "he's got skills", you are one sick puppy.

I think that free climbing is irresponsible....especially if you have a wife and children......maybe selfish is a better word. I also disagree with trespassing just because you can. Climbing a building without permission is trespassing. If you don't obey the laws why should others not shoot him for sport? If breaking laws is ok as long as you enjoy it then shooting law breakers would be ok as long as you enjoy it.
We have laws for a reason.......some to maintain order and discipline but most are to protect the weak from the strong.

I won't buy the climbing makes me free crap......the guys french.....they love to be ruled!

I can understand his love of climbing but not the desire to become a statistic.

My $.02

xander9727 said:
I think that free climbing is irresponsible....especially if you have a wife and children......maybe selfish is a better word. I also disagree with trespassing just because you can. Climbing a building without permission is trespassing. If you don't obey the laws why should others not shoot him for sport? If breaking laws is ok as long as you enjoy it then shooting law breakers would be ok as long as you enjoy it.
We have laws for a reason.......some to maintain order and discipline but most are to protect the weak from the strong.

I won't buy the climbing makes me free crap......the guys french.....they love to be ruled!

I can understand his love of climbing but not the desire to become a statistic.

My $.02

Definitely a voice of reason.

Perhaps if I were French and as ugly as that guy, I MIGHT engage in foolish climbing exploits. Climbing makes him famous and garners attention for him-there are probably even women who throw themselves at him. He probably thinks that falling to his death is a worthwhile risk since he wouldn't have much of a life without his self aggrandizing foolishness.

I used to free or solo climb alot some years back. It doesnt make alot of sense to many people but you dont do it to please other people.

Rockclimbing by nature is inherently dangerous. When lead climbing and using natural gear (saftey equipment that secure into cracks and other rock forms which the rope is clipped into) your expensive, carefully and trusted gear sometimes wriggles out, pops or generally fails you. To climb lead you need to carry about 5kilos of gear, have a rope drag behind you, spend 50% of your time and about 40% of your energy looking for and puting in the protective gear. You end up climbing to put in gear more than to enjoy the climb.
Unlike treework, you generally dont use the rope to support you, its only there to catch you if you fall. Sometimes bad belaying by your climbing partner causes you to fall.
I had been climbing for a couple years and seen alot of injuries and had a few near death experiences with climbing partners, when I started doing tiny climbs rope free. I found that I could climb much easier, without a tonne of gear or having to have a good climbing partner, and is was just me and the true exhileration of rock climbing. And I never had falls. I did bigger and harder climbs. I trained hard and kept well within my limits.
I understand that its a selfish thing to do that potentially means a big box or a big expensive rescue. But then look at ocean yacht racers, mountaineers, cross country skiers, kayakers, cavers, enduro racers or our own industry.

The responses here are interesting.

Look at his arrest record. If the authorities thought that he was breaking laws he would have been arrested more.

If he's still married his family must have worked through the meaning of his climbing to satisfy them. There are plenty of people who do other things that threaten their family and marriages and they aren't criticized.

Timber wrote a nice piece on free solo climbing. His sentiments are what I've read about that style before.

If this climber is going to be criticized for his climbing style, which is risky, then why is there so much complaining about the workplace safety in tree work? How much risk is there to the climber when they one-hnad chainsaws? Don't use a second tie in point when using a chainsaw in the tree? How many people cut trees, arbos and loggers, ALONE far away from any rescue? Basic PPE like helmets and safety glasses aren't used by too many arbos...and those folks just shrug it off. There has been plenty of discussions about bad work practices in logging and arbo work that make his climbing style look as safe as a walk in the park.

Tom Dunlap said:
Look at his arrest record. If the authorities thought that he was breaking laws he would have been arrested more.

Not necessarily, Tom. There are politics involved. I read of a few of these cases, and sometimes the building owner just won't press charges. Other times, the local politicos don't want the bad press. If they do press charges and follow through with them, they are the big bad meanies who persecute noble artists who are just expressing themselves!

smilie_barf.gif

Exaggeration? No, that's EXACTLY how it plays in the press.

But aside from the lawbreaking, when he does this in an urban setting, he's endangering other people. He does NOT have the right to do that.

Now, if he's out in the boonies, and falls on one of his climbing buddies who is watching him.... Oh, well. Their choice. *shrug*

Tom Dunlap said:
If he's still married his family must have worked through the meaning of his climbing to satisfy them.

I figure that's HIS business.

Tom Dunlap said:
If this climber is going to be criticized for his climbing style, which is risky, then why is there so much complaining about the workplace safety in tree work? How much risk is there to the climber when they one-hnad chainsaws? Don't use a second tie in point when using a chainsaw in the tree? How many people cut trees, arbos and loggers, ALONE far away from any rescue? Basic PPE like helmets and safety glasses aren't used by too many arbos...and those folks just shrug it off. There has been plenty of discussions about bad work practices in logging and arbo work that make his climbing style look as safe as a walk in the park.

What dangers people choose to incur for themselves is their business, as far as I'm concerned. Don't want to ride with a helmet? Fine with me, as long as you don't want me to pay for your medical care. Saw with no PPE? Fine with me, as long as you don't want me to pay for your medical care.

Of course, I'll still call you an idiot, but I'll defend your right to be an idiot, as long as you take full responsibilty for the consequences of your choices.

But there IS a big difference in doing dangerous things because you must (you make your living that way, you are maintaining your own property, etc.) as compared to just doing it for kicks.

2 cents

Arbordudes, Alain Robert freaking free soloed 'seance tenante' in the late 80's The grade on that bad boy is 5.13c or 8a+ if you care for euro grade . Also on tiny edges and about 500 feet high.The building solos are no where near as hard as what he has already free soloed on rock. At the time of his solo of seance the entire climbing world knew that instead of the climb being foolish or a stunt he was truly a visionary climber.
I think now he just likes the money.Im not gonna judge him right or wrong but the world would be a much more boring place if there were not the occasional genius. Dark

Genius.......was that the word I was looking for?

:confused:

I put this guy in the same catagory as Derek Hersey.

I have no problems with danger but I'd rather have calculated risks.....

Besides he's French.......how brave could he really be?:)

Latest posts

Back