Gab's Stihl 076 Project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gab250

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey, I thought I'd make a thread about restoring this 076 Chainsaw. First a bit of background about the Saw. I inherited this saw from my best friend's father. My friend has since passed away, so I'd like to restore this saw in her honor. I'll break it up into 2 stages. First I want to get the saw functional, so it can run and cut wood. Depending on how that goes, I'll consider doing a cosmetic restoration later. This saw has an unusual feature which is a different Air filter assembly which I believe is from a TS760 Cut-Quick cut off machine. Here's a couple of photos to start off the thread, and as I do some more work on the saw, I'll post some more pictures and some info. I have started it, and it does run, but not too well, doesn't rev like it should and is VERY hard to start. I have been told that it has a Brand new barrel and piston assembly though, So I don't think I'll have too much trouble there.
DSCN0864.JPG DSCN0865.JPG

Gab

Alright, well I've done a little bit of work on this saw today, I'll try to do some most days.
DSCN0866.JPG
Compression seems reasonable for an old saw, and I was told the piston and barrel assembly are new, from a very trustworthy source, so I'd say they would be.
DSCN0873.JPG
Partially disassembled the saw for cleaning, it's pretty dirty but should clean up ok.
DSCN0874.JPG
Took the carburetor off, I might temporarily put it back on until I get a kit for it, just to stop dust getting down in there, I won't rebuild the carb until I get a kit for it.
DSCN0875.JPG
A bit dirty under here, I think some of the AV mounts will need replacing.
DSCN0876.JPG
Sprocket is a bit worn, I'll replace that too.
So next on the agenda is, I need to buy a new set of allen keys, because alot of the bolts seem to be allen bolts, and I just don't have the right size. I'll do some preliminary cleaning today, and I'll make a list of parts and tools I think I'll need in order to go further with it.
Gab

Well I got everything pretty much all cleaned up today, When I get some more money, I'll start getting some bits for it. I've put everything in a box for now so I don't loose any pieces, and I'll start working on it again next week.

Gab
DSCN0880.JPG DSCN0877.JPG DSCN0878.JPG DSCN0879.JPG

Nice old saw, I had a lot of fun restoring a 075. Wish I would have powder coated everything instead of painting but you live and learn.

Nice project! I am using three of these - one for sawing the big stuff and two for milling.
Compression might be a bit low on yours, but it is a saw certainly worth fixing - and most of the parts can still be found.

Like Poge said, there's a thread dedicated to the 050/051/075/076 (1111 series) in the Chainsaw Stickies section. It's loaded with good info pertaining to your saw.

If you haven't picked up your allen wrenches yet, be sure to get METRIC ones.

Great old dino saws, thats almost how I inherited mine. I tried to part with it but sometimes you just cant. Now I get how people collect things. memories are part of the charm. you have a great old charm, embrace it, but do so wisely and use it every chance you get becuase it is still a tool not just a memory. Send big wood pics when its done.

Latest posts

Back