Garage sale Mac find....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

16:1mix

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
attachment.php

It was finally my turn to grab a bargain chainsaw at a garage sale!

Here is the Saturday afternoon saga:

There it was, sitting on the table amidst all the other (mostly household) stuff, the mighty Mac 'Eager Beaver', complete with dull 14" bar & chain. I pull the rope starter while holding the saw against the table to offset the resistance of compression. Yes, a goodly amount of compression, there is hope. At least it isn't stuck. I'm a sucker, I pick it up and examine it closer. (I'm already hooked) The saw looks well used, slightly ill maintained by the looks of the loose & dull chain, but complete. What will it take to own it. Ah ha.....the price tag appears. "Sold" I think as I reach for my wallet.

Back home in my shop, a cursory examination reveals no surprises and a simple ignition test verifies there is spark. If the fuel system is in order this thing may just run. I grab my 40:1 fuel can and fill the tank. Ignition switch on, here we go. Grabbing the rope, I pull repeatedly: brrrrr, brrrrr, brrrrr, brrrrr, brrrrr, brrrrrbrrrrr, brrrrr, brrrrr. Hmmm, lifelessness. What about that choke lever, there is no primer bulb to get fuel to the carb. I move the choke lever to the other unmarked position and pull again repeatedly: brrrrr, brrrrr, brrrrr, brrrrr, brrrrr, brrrrrbrrrrr, brrrrr, brrrrr, tichh, ticchh. YES, it fired twice. And again, and again! Grrreatt! Here we go, it's gonna run! I savor the excitement while becoming aware of the spent two cycle odor around me. After a little finesse between the throttle and the choke position setting the engine came to life. A minor carb adjustment and the mighty little two cube Mac was running smooth. Time to play!

So did I get my $10.00 worth? :D

You damn betcha I did :msp_tongue:

A runner!

On my planet, a running saw for ten bucks is a good deal..and every beaver should be eager.

Just because.

Eager beaver for $10.00 sounds like a good deal. At least you didn't spend a lot more on uneager beaver that wouldn't respond no matter what you tried ;).

im surprised that a chainsaw was found in the afternoon of a garage sale! around these parts you need to get to the sales promptly at opening time in order to walk away with a chainsaw (except of course for the ridiculously overpriced ones).

good find, good score & good luck!

im surprised that a chainsaw was found in the afternoon of a garage sale! around these parts you need to get to the sales promptly at opening time in order to walk away with a chainsaw (except of course for the ridiculously overpriced ones).

good find, good score & good luck!

Its an Eager Beaver. Thats explains why it was left. I hope it works out for the OP, and How many more does he want?

I could ship three for $10, I think.

I have two of them. I could make one runner I figured out of them. After reading so much hate about them I have to try to get one of them going.

Just so I can completely understand the hate for the Mini-Macs:laugh:

I have two of them. I could make one runner I figured out of them. After reading so much hate about them I have to try to get one of them going.

Just so I can completely understand the hate for the Mini-Macs:laugh:

It won't take getting it going, just dis- and then re-assemble. Now imagine spending money on parts, or investing time you could have spent working on something else profitable.

Latest posts

Back