Gas cans!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooperforeman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Is there a source for a regular old fashioned gas can? I hate this new can,you have to pull on the nozzle(or rest it on the edge and push down) to get it to pour and it doesn't have a vent.I usually end up spilling more gas then what goes in the saw! It pours a little out,then gurgles and then a whole bunch pours out.

Oh do these things pi$$ me off....

I removed the green thingy so now you can get gas out of it without difficulty. However when you open it, it will now leak out the center of the nozze. Yesterday the can was sitting in the sun. When I pushed down on the nozzle opening it, it shot gas about 6'. Now that is really safe.

The old style plastic ones could be used without spilling a single drop.

Yesterday the can was sitting in the sun. When I pushed down on the nozzle opening it, it shot gas about 6'.

Try leaving it in the sun all day and then forget to bring it in at night during the winter. By morning it will look like it was vacuum packed with the sides pulled in and almost touching.

Unfortunately the EPA has decided that the old nozzles were not safe and can no longer be sold in the US, everything you find nowadays will have that dang squeeze handle on it. I have one can with the old style nozzle and it will not ever fit on the newer cans, seems the opening in the new cans are slightly smaller.

Unfortunately the EPA has decided that the old nozzles were not safe and can no longer be sold in the US, everything you find nowadays will have that dang squeeze handle on it. I have one can with the old style nozzle and it will not ever fit on the newer cans, seems the opening in the new cans are slightly smaller.

love hitting garage sales... picked up 2 2.5 gallon REAL cans last weekend... just plain old gas can with a screw in spout. .50 each

I was so P'ed off tonight ,I took a 1 gal. bleach bottle,rinsed it out really good and poured my 50:1 into it. I was able to top off the saw without spilling a drop!

Welcome to the club.

Yard sales, Garage sales, Barn sales, Farm auctions,Military surplus.

Everything new, is gonna have some sort of dumbassed EPA Ecofascist, Green nazi, Hippie engineered, piece of #### on it, that creates a bigger hazzard than it saves.

The Rocker switch nozzles can be tweaked to almost work safely, Just delete the stupid switch lock and remember to burp the can before pouring, or you'll blast fuel all over the saw and back into your face.

Good luck on the quest.
Yard sale seasone is coming!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I have a 2 gal tank with the lever u push to let the fuel out when I got it I figured it would suck but it works. Great because it keeps sawdust and chips out of my fuel when cutting n milling next to my can

Some of the new cans work better than others. Not that any of them are good for say. I've had better luck with cans made by Blitz. You still have to push the end back but I seem to be able to fill a saw without spilling any. I did fill the splitter up today with a 5 gal. can my Dad had and it was lousy. Not sure of the brand. It spit fuel all over everything.

Winshield washer jug with a 20" rope on it atached to your oil jug, kind of a home bade pigy back. Makes it easy to carry.

Why are the new ones a rectangle? Who thought that was a good idea they tip over way to easy. The old ones had the wide base almost like a triangle.

Just use an old bar oil gallon jug.

Or take the new fangled nozzle apart. I've got two of the new mini-piggies that are out there now. One is a Briggs and Stratton the other a Sceptor. Take the nozzle apart, remove the spring and shutter, then re-attach the entire assembly with some short screws. It vents and pours just fine. No problems for the last couple of months and I use them on a regular basis.

Just like saws, there is more than one way to out-smart the EPA.

This> I have looked for the past two years for nozzles to replace on my regular non-epa can I have not found them. Threw the can away. I gave up.

I have a Eagle round five gallon can that I still have useable nozzle on that I use.

I got a new 5 gal can with that style spout on it, I hate it. I end up spilling it all over. Real safe.... :mad:

I should reword me quote of "works good so far" now that I think more.... after ya hit the lever to open, ya need to "feather" the trigger open lightly or it just dumps all over.. take some getting used to and most of the time the open/closed switch/latch clicks back to closed but IF it does work, it actually is nice when the saw tank is getting full and you can regulate a slow pour.

love hitting garage sales... picked up 2 2.5 gallon REAL cans last weekend... just plain old gas can with a screw in spout. .50 each

Yes! Garage sales and auctions. I paid $3-5 for a couple last year, but beats $10-15 for the cans out there today.

I found a dealer at the flea market last summer with a whole pile of NOS 2 1/2 gallon galv cans for 10 bucks each. I now have 4 of them. Plus i found an old 1 gal can like the one i had years ago. I hate the plastic ones too...Bob

I Use 2 Eagle type II gas cans for bulk carry in the truck. Bailey's has them for about $100.00. They have a spring loaded valve that allows them to vent excess pressure. No-Spill cans will puff up to an almost round shape in the sun. I pour from the Eagle can to either a piggyback can (most times) or gypo jugs or MSR bottles.

Bailey's - CARB Approved 5 Gallon Type II Gas Can

Back