Gas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you cut a lot and don't let the gas get old (two months or so). ethanol gas is fine. If you want shelf life get pure gas. I use 100ll Av gas.

Low octane no ethanol is best. Then whatever octane with ethanol. Then adding diesel to it (go look at THAT thread) then straight alchol.. then dirt. the first 3 are in the right order anyway. And for all you guys that are anti ethanol... go to the lake, get some BOAT GAS. It isn't required to have ethanol and is actually free of it. ALL gas in the US is required to have ethonal added. RBOB (which is a future's contract for gas) requires additives and ethanol added to make it "complete" no skirting it. sorry :)

I'm certainly no gas expert but I've read in other places that BP premium keeps the longest and works the best in small engines. That's what I've been using recently and can't complain.

Low octane no ethanol is best. Then whatever octane with ethanol. Then adding diesel to it (go look at THAT thread) then straight alchol.. then dirt. the first 3 are in the right order anyway. And for all you guys that are anti ethanol... go to the lake, get some BOAT GAS. It isn't required to have ethanol and is actually free of it. ALL gas in the US is required to have ethonal added. RBOB (which is a future's contract for gas) requires additives and ethanol added to make it "complete" no skirting it. sorry :)

All gas in the USA is NOT required to have alcohol. I can take a drive and buy some at a Sam's club that is alcohol free. Certain geographic regions require it but other than California, I am not aware of any state that requires it everywhere in the state.

All gas in the USA is NOT required to have alcohol. I can take a drive and buy some at a Sam's club that is alcohol free. Certain geographic regions require it but other than California, I am not aware of any state that requires it everywhere in the state.

ok, you are "mostly" right. but any NEW gas stations and any old gas stations that can't prove they have "hardship" and prove that they only have 1 tank and can't afford to add more don't have to. But any gas coming out of a pipeline .. read: 90% of it. has ethanol. :) All gas going in and out of a pipeline is comingled and lots of it in the big ass storage tanks are as well. The days of ethanol free gas are about over. what gas stations advertise as "ethanol free" means THEY don't add it or do the adding, they are simply buying it out of the pipeline

I'm certainly no gas expert but I've read in other places that BP premium keeps the longest and works the best in small engines. That's what I've been using recently and can't complain.

I used to love working in the refinery and seeing the other gasoline compainies trucks buying our gas and putting their name on it. Most of the refineries sell gas to anyone that needs it. The only place where this isn't common is Texas because all major brands have refineries there but some states with one or two refineries service 20 different brands of gas. So gas that has a brand name on it may not be their gas...Bob retired gasoline maker...

I used to love working in the refinery and seeing the other gasoline compainies trucks buying our gas and putting their name on it. Most of the refineries sell gas to anyone that needs it. The only place where this isn't common is Texas because all major brands have refineries there but some states with one or two refineries service 20 different brands of gas. So gas that has a brand name on it may not be their gas...Bob retired gasoline maker...

Are you referring to the trucks coming in and out of your fuel terminal? or pipeline transfer? its all comingled and the same gas regardless out of a pipeline :) and refining gas is pretty much the same no matter where it happens lol. Just add some additive and go on :)

Are you referring to the trucks coming in and out of your fuel terminal? or pipeline transfer? its all comingled and the same gas regardless out of a pipeline :) and refining gas is pretty much the same no matter where it happens lol. Just add some additive and go on :)

Yup thats right. All trucks have a "packet" that gets dumped in the trailer before the gas is dumped in. That packet makes the branded gas. We put gasoline on the pipeline everyday and send it all over the place to different terminals or barges/boats...Bob

Latest posts

Back