Gasket stuck on carb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dff110

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Out of all of the old saws I have rebuilt, I have run into this a few times now. Seems mostly on old Remingtons that have been sitting for a long time. The carb gaskets get stuck to either the carb body or the cap. I have tried many different methods to loosen them up (carb cleaner, soaking in paint thinner, soaking in gas), but none seem to work very well.

Wondering if there is any quick and easy methods to get these pesky gaskets unstuck?

sorry, maybe i was miss understood. I'm talking about the internal gaskets that go with the diaphragms. Like the ones being replaced with a carb kit. I do not like to scrape too hard and risk damaging an internal component.

sorry, maybe i was miss understood. I'm talking about the internal gaskets that go with the diaphragms. Like the ones being replaced with a carb kit. I do not like to scrape too hard and risk damaging an internal component.

Nah, I still use a wood chisel. But, it is delicate. You can shave the aluminum off.

carbs arent made of crystal. if your scared to f-up a carb by scaping it with a razor,you may want to rethink rebuilding them.

Out of all of the old saws I have rebuilt, I have run into this a few times now. Seems mostly on old Remingtons that have been sitting for a long time. The carb gaskets get stuck to either the carb body or the cap. I have tried many different methods to loosen them up (carb cleaner, soaking in paint thinner, soaking in gas), but none seem to work very well.

Wondering if there is any quick and easy methods to get these pesky gaskets unstuck?

Try scraping with a plastic knife. You won't scar the aluminum.

Wearing gloves, I heat the carb body with a heat gun until its nice and toasty. It makes the gaskets soft enough to pry off with a small thin screwdriver that I modified just for that job.
I will have to pick up a cheap heat gun and give this a try. Along with the plastic knife idea, that should be a lost easier.

carbs arent made of crystal. if your scared to f-up a carb by scaping it with a razor,you may want to rethink rebuilding them.

Try scraping with a plastic knife. You won't scar the aluminum.

I have been using an exacto knife to cut and scrape the gaskets off after soaking them. It does scar the aluminum, and is very delicate around the sealing lips. No sense in beating up your carb if there is an easier was to do it.

I use a large square x-acto blade. Acetone helps to soften any stubborn spots. A sharpened plastic butter knife works well if you're nervous about damaging the carb.

Get some plastic razor blades. They make at least two different thicknesses. Work great for delicate stuff.

Latest posts

Back