Giant Willow - Estimate of Age - Any Log Value?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCullough

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
We are allowed to cut any dead timber of our choice from a nearby series of farms/abandoned farm sites owned by a family friend. Located on this property is the largest tree I've personally seen here in Iowa. Its a healthy Willow, with no dead branches (and all green). We have no plans to cut it down as its far too large for our 20" bars. The lower 20 feet of the tree is free of any limbs and is nearly 5 feet wide for all of those 20 feet. The main branches on top of the base are the size of large trees themselves.

A. I am curious as to the estimated age?
B. I am curious if there is any log value in this?

my best guess this willow tree probably about between 50 to 100 yrs old from my state, depend on environment, as willow log worth nothing except send to Biomass as waste turn into energy to produce electricity through communities

Treeman67

Log value? Nope, no lumber use that I have ever heard of.

Other uses? Yes - oddly, willow was heavily used at one time for making charcoal. I have heard it is also good for barbecuing but I don't do that so haven't tried it.

Personally, I heat my house with it. Not too bad as firewood (about equivalent of pine) but it is cheap as I can cut all I want within a few miles of the house.

Harry K

Sounds like it would make some good cricket bats !
That is the only use I have heard of for willow, other than weaving.

Good quality streight Willow makes good cricket bats. Other than that young shoots are good for weaving and the wood makes fuel. Its probably the best wood you can get for making Charcoal its what i tend to use when i do it as get a really good burn, got to be at least year seasoned though.

Black willow (Salix nigra) is the largest and the only commercially important willow of about 90 species native to North America. It is more distinctly a tree throughout its range than any other native willow; 27 species attain tree size in only part of their range . Other names sometimes used are swamp willow, Goodding willow, southwestern black willow, Dudley willow, and sauz (Spanish). This short-lived, fast-growing tree reaches its maximum size and development in the lower Mississippi River Valley and bottom lands of the Gulf Coastal Plain

The wood is light (specific gravity 0.34 to 0.41), usually straight grained, without characteristic odor or taste, weak in bending, compression, and moderately high in shock resistance. It works well with tools, glues well, and stains and finishes well but is very low in durability.

The wood was once used extensively for artificial limbs, because it is lightweight, doesn't splinter easily, and holds its shape well. It is still used for boxes and crates, furniture core stock, turned pieces, table tops, slack cooperage, wooden novelties, charcoal, and pulp.

Black willow was a favorite for soil stabilization projects in the early efforts at erosion control. The ease with which the species establishes itself from cuttings continues to make it an excellent tree for revetments.

Ancient pharmacopoeia recognized the bark and leaves of willow as useful in the treatment of rheumatism. In 1829, the natural glucoside salicin was isolated from willow. Today it is the basic ingredient of aspirin, although salicyclic acid is synthesized rather than extracted from its natural state.

Just like the monster willow I had to cut up. Its only use was bon-fire wood. Not even good for that when it was green.

Swamp willow

I found one of these big swamp willows fallen so I cut it for fire wood. The tree is covered with moss entirely so I couldn't tell what it is at first till I began cutting it, and examined the serrated leaves on shoots that have two nodes at the stem end of the leaves. The thick and soft bark is a interesting reddish brown color and strange maze like trippy pattern. I quickly realized the tree was not what I wanted. I wanted a far more dense oak but wasn't all that discouraged because it was about a cords worth and almost alien like octopus shape with thick branches. The fresh cut smell is of nontoxic paste. I am glad to hear this wood might be good for BBQs but is it as good for cooking as my favorite maple or how bout cedar? I cut a cedar tree that same day. I cant wait to find out but they need to season first. I'm attempting to clone the tree because I want one in my yard and willows are easy to clone. I'm going to grow one away from the house because they are prone to fall and brake. The logs are very easy to split but difficult to retrieve from the small swamp area I found it near a natural pond in a small fir forest next to grass fields on Salem Oregon farm property.Lots of big cracks are forming in the fire wood as it very quickly dries so I don't think It will be long before I can use it. The cracking is why this tree is no good as lumber. I should of cut the cedar for lumber since it worth lots of money that way but I'm exited to attempt cooking with three varieties to see what is best for that purpose. I also hear swamp willow aka black willow is poor for heating houses so its not worth much unless its quality cooking wood like I'm hearing then it could actually be valuable.Hopefully $200 a cord exept I plan to keep this tree until I find another one possibly in the same area where I continue to look and explore. Swamp willows are one the fastest growing trees of all hard wood species so yours is about 50 or 60, 70 at most mine is 40 or less at aprox 4ft across at 7ft long main end of the trunk before 5 big long branches 50-60ft in all.

Last edited:
7:37 AM??

That's got to be the latest I've seen you post in the morning. Still rained out down there?

Banker's hours !! We're kinda rained out. Work a little, sit a little....typical Spring routine. I think we're about done with the rain but there are places that still have enough snow on the ground that we just can't get into. Yet.

Latest posts

Back