Gloves or not?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always wear the mechanics contractor leather gloves, I get them at lowes a little pricey but worth it. I have recently found a sweet pair of kevlar palmed wire rope handling gloves made by LIFT SAFETY, called ringers I think. They have them at my local Stihl dealer but they are 59.99 a pair. Might be worth it. No matter what the glove they have to be the tight fitting like mechanics type glove. loose ones get caught and pinched up to easily.

Great info guys:clap:
Can we see some pics or info on the gloves you use?
:cheers:

I ALWAYS wear gloves - if my hands are injured I can't earn money!!!! Call me a pnasey, but I think it is silly to risk injury to such a critical part of your body when it doesn't take much money to protect it.
I wear kevlar gloves from youngstown when cutting, I never pick up the saw without them on. They are tight, very maneuverable, asphalt palm gives great grip and will reduce the damage from an intimate experience with the chain.
I wear sturdy leather gloves ($6/pair at costco) for moving logs, tending furnace, working the skid steer - a blood blister from getting pinched by a chain, a huge splinter from a log or a burn will seriously impair my ability to get work done.
For splitting I use the youngstown anti-vibe gloves - since I do it all with hand tools this really helps me keep going.
I don't care for the cotton gloves - they do almost nothing to stop splinters (and certainly nothing to stop the saw).

:agree2: Yes. Yes. And Yes. I've yet to see how those Youngstown Kevlars really work.

No longer with a need to make $$$$, the knowledge of what can bite and kill you as a younger s$%#, makes one carefuler and carefuler. Then, no eye protection, no ear plugs, nothing. Damn, the things that were "almost" long ago now are memories of "why would you do the thing fool."

The only down side to the gloves thing is that you're now among the pink, soft, puffy hands group out there. No more open cuts and scrapes. No hardened manly calluses when you shake hands at work. Hell, there's no more of those badges of blood honor from rock climbing anymore.

Then again, who needs hard hands.:help:

Between Greenbriar and Poison Ivy, I don't have a choice unless I wanna bleed out while scratching.

Cheapo leather gloves normally, but the Dolmar gloves I got from Cuttin'scott last year are just flat awesome. I did a compararo between them and a pair of wells Lamont pigskins, and the Dolmar glove have now outlasted two pairs of the all leather gloves.

Come winter it's all about gloves.
Thanks to several of the gang here and Bailys I found the Kinco insulated gloves. 10 Bucks and they actually keep your hands warm and hold up!!!

I still havn't figured out what cotton gloves are for.
Might as well go bare handed.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Who here wears gloves when out cutting and handling wood?
I did never have but lately it seems I can't go without?
Must be old age:jawdrop:

I ALWAYS wear gloves. A couple of years ago I got a splinter of hickory in my knuckle. Two days later I could hardly move my finger. It took a WHOLE YEAR to be back to normal. Maybe I'm allergic to hickory?

I have found that pigskin outlasts cowhide by at least 2 to 1, maybe 3 to 1.

After trying the rubber coated gloves from Northern Tool this winter, I'm going to try a summer weight pair now. The winter weights are holding up VERY well.

Allways Gloves!

For all the reasons stated, it is best to wear gloves! We used the cheap disposable yellow cotton ones with the silicone waffle pattern when I worked on the tree service crews, cheap, can be wrung dry, fairly grippy and don't hurt the chipper on the way through! Lots lost that way, guess that's where the cheap part comes in handy!

Now I buy my gloves @ our local tool discounter (similar to Harbor Freight) for cheap! I stock up and have a bunch of new and used gloves at the ready, I keep them in my 'chainsaw stuff' milk crate. When people actually show up to help and whine about not having any gloves, just hand them a pair!

Here's a pair new and in service.. They wear fairly quickly, used up in 2 weeks or so of constant heavy use.. These are pvc foam, light enough for summer and grippy for handling wood, axe and saws when wet or greasy out.. $3.49 a pair!!
attachment.php

attachment.php

These were on a special, deerskin 'racing' pit gloves, like the mechanix ones, although I don't care much for the Nascar designs, they were only $7.99 a pair!
attachment.php

attachment.php

I used to get a couple pairs of the Mechanix ones in my stocking @ Christmas time, but they are expensive.. For working on planes, I usually use the disposable nitrile ones to protect against harsh aviation chemicals and vile human leavings, but don't wear anything for most mechanical work as dexterity is critical. Also no rings, watches etc for all obvious reasons!

Also, the girls (PALMella HANDerson and HANDreietta) don't really care for rough, chapped hands.. You gotta protect your sex-hand!:hmm3grin2orange:

Cheers! :cheers:

Old51AVE :greenchainsaw:

I always wear the mechanics contractor leather gloves, I get them at lowes a little pricey but worth it. I have recently found a sweet pair of kevlar palmed wire rope handling gloves made by LIFT SAFETY, called ringers I think. They have them at my local Stihl dealer but they are 59.99 a pair. Might be worth it. No matter what the glove they have to be the tight fitting like mechanics type glove. loose ones get caught and pinched up to easily.

I used to not wear gloves when I worked in a door factory, and learned to handle wood without getting splinters very often. Now I'm older and can't seem to do any work without gloves.

It's really hard to pick one's nose with a damaged finger, and I love to pick my nose.

I've drooled over the leather Mechanix, but can't affort that price. What, $40 or so? I decided never to spend more than $10/pair. I prefer leather, but I really like a velcro wrist to keep the debris out. I keep looking at the pigskin at Lowes, and it's a bit cheaper, but I've not taken the plunge yet. I usually have a dozen pairs of gloves around, in various states of disintegration. I wait until about three fingers are poking through the gloves before tossing them.

I used to not wear gloves when I worked in a door factory, and learned to handle wood without getting splinters very often. Now I'm older and can't seem to do any work without gloves.

It's really hard to pick one's nose with a damaged finger, and I love to pick my nose.
I've drooled over the leather Mechanix, but can't affort that price. What, $40 or so? I decided never to spend more than $10/pair. I prefer leather, but I really like a velcro wrist to keep the debris out. I keep looking at the pigskin at Lowes, and it's a bit cheaper, but I've not taken the plunge yet. I usually have a dozen pairs of gloves around, in various states of disintegration. I wait until about three fingers are poking through the gloves before tossing them.
Please no pics for proof, We believe you.lol

Between Greenbriar and Poison Ivy, I don't have a choice unless I wanna bleed out while scratching.

Cheapo leather gloves normally, but the Dolmar gloves I got from Cuttin'scott last year are just flat awesome. I did a compararo between them and a pair of wells Lamont pigskins, and the Dolmar glove have now outlasted two pairs of the all leather gloves.

Come winter it's all about gloves.
Thanks to several of the gang here and Bailys I found the Kinco insulated gloves. 10 Bucks and they actually keep your hands warm and hold up!!!

I still havn't figured out what cotton gloves are for.
Might as well go bare handed.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

i'll have to look at the Dolmar gloves!

I always wear gloves doing any kind of manual labor, wood cutting included. Whereas many guys are proud of their callouses, and rightfully so, there are parts of my wifes body I enjoy touching as often as possible, and cut and scratched up hands bring protest, so the gloves are staying on.

i'll have to look at the Dolmar gloves!

Here's the link to the thread.
That was last fall.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=116107&highlight=Dolmar+gloves+comparo

Been using 'em again with another pair of leather wells lamont gloves in rotation. One pair gets soaked and I switch out.

The synthetic "Wear tabs" on the grip areas really holds up.

Watch the Greenbriar and brambles though.;)

I think Scott nicked me for like 20 bucks on 'em.
Which would be two pair of leather cheapos, and these ain't near dead yet....just smell that way.:D

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Here's the link to the thread.
That was last fall.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=116107&highlight=Dolmar+gloves+comparo

Been using 'em again with another pair of leather wells lamont gloves in rotation. One pair gets soaked and I switch out.

The synthetic "Wear tabs" on the grip areas really holds up.

Watch the Greenbriar and brambles though.;)

I think Scott nicked me for like 20 bucks on 'em.
Which would be two pair of leather cheapos, and these ain't near dead yet....just smell that way.:D

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Thanks for the link!

I wear gloves

Its not fun to go without. I have tried it and it don't work. I also DO wear my (new) wedding ring because it (the old one) saved my hand once. I was taking a steering box out of a forklift and it tipped over on my hand. The VERY sharp edge landed RIGHT on my wedding ring and the wedding ring took the impact and very gently squished down against my finger. I had to squish it sideways in a vice to get it round and off my finger but my hand was just fine. If I had not been wearing my ring I would have lost at least two fingers right then. I still have the old one. The stone is falling out of it but you can tell what it is.

I DON'T wear it when messing with electronics!!

I'm happy to hear that you did not lose no fingers!

I have heard them ring saving stories before.

Makes ya wonder ring or no ring:dunno:

I always wear leather gloves when working the wood pile or cutting in the woods. The trouble is I seem to collect gloves that have two or three finger tips worn out! Learned about gloves when I worked as a railroad section hand for about 5 years. Gloves and steel toes are a man's best friend.

No wedding ring though. Mine is in a dresser drawer in two pieces after I gought it caught on the hood of a dump truck as I jumped down off the bumper one day. There I was dangling on my tip toes with the ring caught on a bolt head. Had to cut the ring off with a pair of side cutters!

WTF.... Are you kidding ? Man, I wouldn't be anywhere near a woodpile like that until it dropped below ZERO.

Such as it is in the South. Like SS said, they're not under every stick of wood...but they're there. So far I've been fortunate enough to have not seen a snake in my woodpiles in my 7 years of living here...I hope I just didn't jinx myself. I have seen enough spiders though.

Add me to the glove wearing crew. Splinters are the main reason.

Kevin

I'm old school and was taught never to wear gloves around machinery. When my hands got so rough I couldn't touch my wife without her jumping I started wearing gloves.

I always wear gloves doing any kind of manual labor, wood cutting included. Whereas many guys are proud of their callouses, and rightfully so, there are parts of my wifes body I enjoy touching as often as possible, and cut and scratched up hands bring protest, so the gloves are staying on.

:agree2:

Yeah, calluses are manly, but there are other priorities....

:hmm3grin2orange:

Back