Go .404, or stay .375??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FFemt5287

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Funny, because I ran into the same problem with a CZ550 magnum rifle a year or so ago.....

But... my 385xp has an unnecessarily large 36" bar on it running 3/8"x.063ga chain. I'm planning to take this off (debating whether or not to sell it to recoup some funds or not) and replace it with a 24-28" bar.

The big question right now is whether or not I go to .404 pitch. I really see no reason to do so, but is there any reason not to? I cut mainly recreationally, 1-2 days per week. Mostly hardwoods (oak, maple, beech, birch) and seldom anything larger than 24" diameter.

Price difference is about $0.02/link through Baileys. Bars seem to be easier to find in 24-28" range with sprocket tips for 3/8" (only finding hard nose 24" available for the .404.).

Another thing I'd have to research was the ease of switching the 3/8" rim for 404 rim.

So what are everyone's thoughts? Stick with the 3/8" pitch, .063ga, or upgrade to .404 pitch, .063ga?

Stay with the 3/8. Easier to find when your out of chain and waiting for an order to come in.

Ray

.404" can actually cut faster on gutsy saws and will wear a lot better than 3/8' but on that saw I'd still stick with 3/8" chain. I've run a lot of both and they each have a place.

3/8 is what I would stick with on that saw. .404 is for saws with more torque IMO.

i run 404 chain. love it.

but...it is more difficult to get the chain and also things like clutch sprockets. if i had 3/8 now i wouldn't bother to switch over.

Thanks for the input, guys. Now to just find a 24-28" bar and some chain to fit.

Thoughs on sprocket vs hard nose? I cut in fairly clean conditions, but most everything I buck is on the ground.

Thoughts on sprocket vs hard nose? I cut in fairly clean conditions, but most everything I buck is on the ground.

Unless you're running chipper chain I can't see the point in running a hard nosed bar. Hard nosed bars have their positives but if you're in bad enough conditions to warrant a hard nose then running full or even semi chisel is defeating the purpose in my opinion.

The other option regarding bar choice, and I've done it before, is quite simply buy a .404" nose sprocket for whatever sized .063" bar you want, fit it, and try .404" for yourself.

Last edited:
I've had the same thought, but .404 to 3/8 instead. It's your wallet though, run what you want. In my situation bars and chains under 36'' in .404 are harder to come by and are very limited in different sizes. 36'' and over is a different story. 3/8 gives more options for me, but I already have a bar and several nice full skip chains, so I may just stick it out with .404.

That saw will pull .404 fine with a 24" bar. Around here that is all the loggers use, but in combo with a hard tip bar. I like the .404 better on bigger saws. In my opinion the chain stays sharper longer and is faster to sharpen on site.

Thanks for all the responses, guys. Looks like I'm going to stick with the 3/8 and get myself a 24" b&c combo for it. Decided to keep the 36" combo, also, in case of the rare chance the need for it arises.

Latest posts

Back