Goderich Ontario?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deevo

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Anyone go down to do any Tornado work there? I got an e-mail today asking if we could send a crew down with a bucket truck and chipper. So I called the guy back he asked if we would come down I said yes, and then as the conversation was ending he said, oh yeah you are volunteering to come down right? I said what??? He said they couldn't pay us to go down? I politely said ahhhh thanks but no thanks. Our equipment doesn't volunteer itself for storm work. It was a town guy that asked, seemed kind of odd asking for companies to volunteer to do storm work!

hahaha. What, your trucks and saws don't run on hope and kindness? Just pull up to the pumps and tell them you're volunteering, I think they're required to give you free fuel if you say that.

I really wonder what planet some of these people come from... I mean I can see friends, neighbors, church organizations and whatnot volunteering to clean up yards and light stuff... But come on... Do you think the police and firefighters are working for free? They are making overtime to boot (as they well should)... They are working at their profession and doing what they are paid to do... What makes people think that a tree service is supposed to volunteer their services in the exact situations we are hired to work for???

hahaha. What, your trucks and saws don't run on hope and kindness? Just pull up to the pumps and tell them you're volunteering, I think they're required to give you free fuel if you say that.

Let me wheel bucket truck and chipper.. oh maybe even Bobcat and stump grinder and whatever else I can find over to pumps and see if this works. :)

Realistically would cost likley $200+ dollars just to drive one way from here.. then the lodging and the fuel burned onsite with bucket truck, chipper, saws.. not to mention time spent.

I really wonder what planet some of these people come from... I mean I can see friends, neighbors, church organizations and whatnot volunteering to clean up yards and light stuff... But come on... Do you think the police and firefighters are working for free? They are making overtime to boot (as they well should)... They are working at their profession and doing what they are paid to do... What makes people think that a tree service is supposed to volunteer their services in the exact situations we are hired to work for???

My thoughts exactly.. why would they think that any professional service would volunteer their time and cost 100%? Even if the offered to do it at your cost it would go somewhere.. but asking you to dig into pocket and pay lodging and meals and fuel and maintenance .. Hmmm..

Ya we were up there. (not for free)!! I live and operate my business a half hour south of there on the lake. Its a mess. Did a clean up job in Goderich then was just east of there cleaning up at a resort/inn for the rest of the week. The first day we were at the inn I think I counted around 8 different tree trucks drive by real slow looking and some even stopped in looking for work. In the week we were there I must have seen atleast a dozen different tree trucks go by. Seems to be enough around?!? None probably want to work for free! And of course there were the guys with the pick up truck and the wild thing in the back wearing shorts and running shoes running around all over goderich like crazy. We had a visit from ministry of labour while we were there just to make sure everything was legit. Checked us out for saw pants, hard hats, muffs, face shields, steel toe boots, reverse and safety shut off worked on the chipper, chain saw operator certificates etc. He was happy when he left. Didnt find anything out of order. He said that he was watching guys in goderich with running shoes, shorts, no shirt, ball cap on backwards, saw in one hand and can of beer in the other running up a blown over tree on to a roof. But he said he has no juristdiction over residential stuff like that. Everyone is a cutter!!! It would be nice to be able to volunteer at a time like this but having a crew of guys, workers comp, insurance, chipper, chip truck and boom truck and other equipment on site just doesnt pay for itself!

Our HUSAR (Heavy Urban Search & Rescue) team was deployed there. A sad sight to see the town destroyed like that. It was hard to imagine that there was only one casualty and 37 injured. Had the tornado hit a couple of hours earlier, the farmers market in the town square would have been open with up to 200 people attending.

Back