Going to look at a stihl 066 tomorrow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncvarmint

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I called about a 066 today and talked to a fella about it and he told be he bought it strait gassed and it had a new 066 jug and piston put on it. He talked like he took good care of his stuff and said the saw was in pretty good shape. And had no cracks on plastic but the clutch cover had a small crack. He is asking $500 with a brand new 25" stihl bar and chain that has never seen wood or he would take $450 without bar and chain. I already have plenty of bars. Is there anything I need to look for when I go look at it? He is going to let me try it out in some wood also. I don't know what it is worth as he talks like that is his bottom dollar. What do you guys think?

I would buy it if it has an OEM jug on it. I'll use aftermarket, but I won't buy a saw with aftermarket. I don't trust anyone that much.

Its worth that if in food shape. I'd take the brand new bar and chain for another $30 as well!!!

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk

$450. isn't a bad deal for a low hour 066. It also depends on what brand piston and jug was used.

Just remembered. Straight gas washes the oil off the crank bearings. Not a good picture-

He told me the guy he got it from said he ran out of mix and put regular gas with some 30weight engine oil and about 3 or so min layers he notices something was wrong. I don't know how much it was used until I see it

He told me the guy he got it from said he ran out of mix and put regular gas with some 30weight engine oil and about 3 or so min later he notices something was wrong. I don't know how much it was used until I see it

Well, gas mixed with 30wt oil isn't what I would use but I highly doubt it ruined the engine in three minutes. Most likely it was gas with no oil of any sort... Many saws ran for many years with 30 wt oil and gas. If he did a 50:1 ratio, that wouldn't be so good.
The bar and chain is certainly worth the additional $50. Around here a good 066 will run you about $600.

He also had a 064 with a 066 top end and sold it today. Is there anyway to tell it this was a 064 or any way to tell diff between saws

Starter on the 064 is a lot thinner than the 660 recoil.

Personally, I would try to verify the cylinder.

Talked to him again and we are meeting in the morning. He said the 066 is all original and never been took apart and has great compression. But he said the tank got cracked before he had it and he said he fixed it with jbweld or something like that. he said it won't leak and hasn't leaked since then. What do you guys think about that. I told him I wanted to look it over real good and he said he didn't blame me

Talked to him again and we are meeting in the morning. He said the 066 is all original and never been took apart and has great compression. But he said the tank got cracked before he had it and he said he fixed it with jbweld or something like that. he said it won't leak and hasn't leaked since then. What do you guys think about that. I told him I wanted to look it over real good and he said he didn't blame me

Back