Going to look at a truck tomorrow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STLfirewood

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm going to look at a truck tomorrow. It's about a 250-300 mile drive one way. The truck is a 1999 Ford F-550 4x4 manual tranny. Has 130k miles. Powerstroke diesel. New tires. 12ft flatbed 2 under the bed tool boxes and one on top box. Has ladder racks but they will becoming off. Can anyone guess the asking price. He says everything works and is in really good shape. It's a XLT truck. Does have some hail damage on hood. Truck is not a dump. Let's see who can guess the price.

Scott

Wow I wish it was that cheep for a 550 4x4. Hell tires will cost you close to
a grand with using retreads on the back.

Scott

Without a dump bed, Personally I would not spend over 1500. As there are many retired grain trucks with dump beds around here. Most are quite road worthy with nice dump beds for under 2500.00$
Granted these are not 4x4. But a 4x4 dually in soft ground is about as worthless as breast on a boar hog in my opinion.

For just cuttin wood I don't like duallies. They are to friggin wide to get around the woods in and they won't get out of their own way in the snow until you load em. My future son in law has a 1 ton dodge dually that he wants to swap for a regular truck. He can't get in the woods without smacking a fender on a tree.:)

Those are good points AIM, seems like a fair price on that truck though, I would want a dump on that thing.

Without a dump bed, Personally I would not spend over 1500. As there are many retired grain trucks with dump beds around here. Most are quite road worthy with nice dump beds for under 2500.00$
Granted these are not 4x4. But a 4x4 dually in soft ground is about as worthless as breast on a boar hog in my opinion.

I've tried the grain truck thing. They have their place but but I will use this truck for a lot of different things. It will have sides with a top I can put on to make it a chipper truck. I'll use it to pull a skid steer. A grain truck is to hard to load with a skid steer and to big to deliver in small streets in St.Louis.

Scott

For just cuttin wood I don't like duallies. They are to friggin wide to get around the woods in and they won't get out of their own way in the snow until you load em. My future son in law has a 1 ton dodge dually that he wants to swap for a regular truck. He can't get in the woods without smacking a fender on a tree.:)

I agree but I cut wood a little different when I go to the woods. I take the skid steer for going in the woods. The truck will haul 5 ranks and the trailer 5 ranks. That's what I load when loading unsplit blocks. The skid steer has a basket that holds exactly a rank of wood. I just dump into the truck and trailer. So I'll haul 10 ranks at a time. That's why I need the dually. I have a 1-ton dodge now and I'm looking for a heavier truck.

Scott

I bought the truck. $5500 was the price. It's in pretty good shape. Better then I expected. I don't like the powerstroke diesel but that's what it has. I'm a cummins guy. I'll go back and pick it up Tuesday or Wednesday. The truck will have a dump added to it. After having a flatbed dump I'll never go without one again. I've been looking for a while it's tough to find a 550 with a diesel and 4x4 for this kind of money I'm pretty stoked. I almost bought a 450 a month ago. It had a flatbed dump and was nicer but it sold for 13k.

Scott

Latest posts

Back