Good timing or Bad?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ-Bill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So I got 12 cords of tree length delivered about a month ago and I've been slowly picking away at it. We just had our 3rd child so time has been very limited but I get an hr every now and then to work. I've been using an old 044 to chunk up the wood, it's old and tired but gets the job done. The last few times I used it I noticed the Low ideal was getting high and higher and I decided to adjust it but I couldn't get it right so I brought it in the the dealer for a tune-up.
I got the call Yesterday that it was sucking air in from somewhere and it needs a new P&C. So I'm getting a price for parts and labour to rebuild the saw. So great now what. I do have a MS310 but it doesn't handle the 24" bar like the 044. and all my other saws are in parts or need parts. Really I need a reliable saw for cutting wood.
Hmmm. what to do.. Oh i know I'll just get a new one!
Went down and picked up a new MS441 with a 20" Bar.. sssshh.. don't tell the wife!

The 441 is a screamer. Nice saw. With a 20" bar, you wont be disappointed.

I did end up selling it to get a 461, though. Same weight, more power and at the time I was spending all day carrying a saw in the woods and needed 25" of bar.

Whatever you do, get that 044 back!!

Now would be an excellent time to send it out for port work. Chances are that the cylinder is salvageable, and you just need a piston and seals.

I really enjoy my ms441c, lots of great innovative features. Those that have generally have great things to say about them. It will be at home with a pile of 24” rounds[emoji1360]

Congrats on the new little one. My first born child was born a month ago I know how valuable barn time and or chore time is not much time to be messing with unreliable equipment these days...

Jason

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So I got 12 cords of tree length delivered about a month ago and I've been slowly picking away at it. We just had our 3rd child so time has been very limited but I get an hr every now and then to work. I've been using an old 044 to chunk up the wood, it's old and tired but gets the job done. The last few times I used it I noticed the Low ideal was getting high and higher and I decided to adjust it but I couldn't get it right so I brought it in the the dealer for a tune-up.
I got the call Yesterday that it was sucking air in from somewhere and it needs a new P&C. So I'm getting a price for parts and labour to rebuild the saw. So great now what. I do have a MS310 but it doesn't handle the 24" bar like the 044. and all my other saws are in parts or need parts. Really I need a reliable saw for cutting wood.
Hmmm. what to do.. Oh i know I'll just get a new one!
Went down and picked up a new MS441 with a 20" Bar.. sssshh.. don't tell the wife!

Won't have to tell her. She'll know the instant you fire it up. I have the MS441 Magnum. That thing wakes up teh country side with its maniac scream. I also have an MS310 that for sure doesn't owe me anything. Bought it back in the early years of its production, ate 10+ cords/yr. Rather old and weak now but I still take it out with a 16" bar for limbing.

My 441 wears bars from 20" (noodling) up to 32" Handles them all fine.

I wasn't disappointed with the 441. I wouldn't have sold it if i could have justified keeping it and having the 461. But more power at the same weight when I'm trudging through the woods all day and it had to be done.

I'll likely pick up the 462 when/if it makes it to the states. I'm sold on the M Tronic system.

Sent from a field

My 310 wakes up the neighborhood with a ported muffler. I really do like that saw it's my fall back saw really it's never let me down.

So used the saw today for the 1st time. I cut about 1/2 a tank, never pushed the saw hard let it do all the work. When I went to shut it off I flicked the switch and it wouldn't shut off! I sat it on a log a checked to make sure the switch was up all the way and it was, I moved it down to run and then back up to the kill potion and then t shut off.
I didn't think anything of it until I went to start it again and it would not start, I mean it was the easiest saw I've ever started at the shop and when I fired it up at home the 1st time now nothing.. zip.. 20 pulls in a gave up and brought it in. I took the covers off and everything looked fine, I gave it a 1/2 ass left handed pull while it was in the vise and it fired right up!?
Beats the hell out of me what was going on. I brought it back out and if fired up but stalled a few times when I went into the wood, then it ran but the RPM's seemed to change at the same throttle.
I know this saw has a bunch a new electronic bells on it, is this normal?

I have to call in tomorrow and order my new 24" bar and I'm going to tell them. Nothing's simple anymore. .. Carb.. air and gas you got a runner!!..lol

I wasn't disappointed with the 441. I wouldn't have sold it if i could have justified keeping it and having the 461. But more power at the same weight when I'm trudging through the woods all day and it had to be done.

I'll likely pick up the 462 when/if it makes it to the states. I'm sold on the M Tronic system.

Sent from a field

My only doubt about the M-tronic is that slow idle when firing it up cold. Have to be fast getting on throttle before it dies. I asked at the dealer if it could be sped up a bit. Answer 'No, there is no way to do that"

The saw seems to be fine now. Sad part is I haven't really had time to break it in been busy with life.. I did order a 24" bar and chain for it but I do love my 28" with a skip tooth.

Back