Good use for used files?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
File Sharpening Inc.?

Brisawyer;
I didn't see the thread at Practical Machinist.I think FSI is who we used to use before Fastenal showed up. About 40% of new cost, their websit explains it.
They are W-1 so they anneal and heat treat easily.

Last edited:
Just list them on ebay. Someone will buy them for more than list price and don't forget to gouge them with shipping too!

Cut them off sharpen one end and soften the end you will hit they make a good center punch for small work. I made a butcher steel out of an old rattail file a saw file might make a small one. On practical machinist the were talking about sharpening used files by letting them soak in a mild acid. Anybody tried this with saw files?

There was a thread suggesting vinigar would do it but i think they decided on hydrochloric acid.

When I was a machinist I used to grind a sharp edge on a knife file or half round file and it was good for taking burrs off the piece you were making in a lathe.

I take them into the machine shop...the guys bend, heat, twist, grind, sharpen and shape them into a multitude of tools.

One fellow's making a chain...it's gonna' be pretty nice...for what I don't know. He likes my "use it once" methodology. I'm the same way with shop files, I buy 10 or so a month...I WILL NOT use a dull file. Heck, when my new files come in the boys are salivating like Pavlov's dog over my used ones.

Mine generally go into the scrap bucket, I do keep the one half of one, with the tang end [round chain file] on top of the Mig welder - to clean the nozzle with.

Resharpen...

Saveedge, one of the site sponsors offers a file sharpening service. I've never used it, but thought I'd throw that out there

Years ago we had them sharpened...but at today's prices and buying in quantity...it's just not cost efficient...

I do, however like the "green" aspect of reusing anything....being as it's been awhile, I'll revisit this alternative.

keepin' mine till i got enough to have them resharpened by Save-Edge...should have enough in 20 years to make it worth while LOL. guess they will be sitting in the bottom of my tool box until then ha

To use them as hand scribe and hand cutting tools they can be used without tempering otherwise if the are going to be struck with a hammer they need to be detempered. This is easy to do - just put them in the over at 400 - 450F for about an hour. If they come out a golden colour that is about right.

As far as tools go I have made; awls, scribes, knives, screwdrivers, centre punches, chisels and special small wood lathe chisels,

Back