Good wood day today (with pic)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valkyrie Rider

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Met up with mikefurnaro from this site and went to my firewood lot for some cutting. Ended up with two loads like this one. Saws in action were Mike's Husky 346 and 576 and my J-red 2171 and little Stihl 021. We ended up soaked from the rain at one point, but some dry shirts after it slowed down and we went back at it. Ended up getting stuck on the way out of the cutting side.... which sucked, we we made it eventually. Wood was some sugar Maple, and a lot of cherry.

a HUGE thanks for Mike for all the help! He worked almost non-stop from about 8:30am until about 5:30pm! If you have rep to send, please hit him up for me!

standard.jpg

Lots of fun....unfortunately the woods wasn't giving up its bounty without a fight...

I need to work on directional felling of sub 8" trees...the one's that are too thin to get a wedge in behind the bar.

Has anyone tried a felling lever?

Lots of fun....unfortunately the woods wasn't giving up its bounty without a fight...

I need to work on directional felling of sub 8" trees...the one's that are too thin to get a wedge in behind the bar.

Has anyone tried a felling lever?

Give the tongue and groove a shot.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BLkgWFh9lDs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BLkgWFh9lDs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I was required at school to take a safety course. They basically taught the game of logging method for small trees, where you open the face, make a bore cut above the hinge point, insert a wedge, then bore thru the tree and make the hinge, then follow around the back, being careful to cut around but not under the wedge.

Some of these trees are very small (6-8" or so) (these are state forests, you cut what they mark). It's practically impossible to get a face open, bore, get a wedge, adn then cut a bore behind the face without cutting under the wedge and getting pinched. Bigger trees I have no problems wedging up. One of the ones I wedged using this method took two wedges completely pounded in to get it to go--i guess some of them have some pretty heavy lean. Also the cherries seem to have a tendency to do crazy things once they're 20+ feet up in the air.

I'm thinking maybe just a felling bar would be good. it seems like they have a lot of lifting power.

Interesting technique. Mike was trying something kind of like that. I'm sure he can expand on what he was doing.

I like how the guy was driving the steel wedge with like a 16oz. hammer :dizzy:

I do believe that would have been an aluminum wedge. The are "steeper" allowing more lift yet friendlier if by chance your were to knick it.

nice haul guys. i hit it up saturday and sunday at my section aswell. i was totally soaked saturday. water was acutally comming out of my boots. i got 2 good loads out so far. i got the rest of the week off after tomorrow so hopefully i can hit it up again before the weekend.
no cuttin for me this weekend as i got my kids :D :D

You get a lot more in that truck if you stack them rounds. I stack mine so they roll out the tailgate with a little help from my hook

You get a lot more in that truck if you stack them rounds. I stack mine so they roll out the tailgate with a little help from my hook

There was plenty in there for the truck. I wouldn't want to add too much more weight to it.

The rolling out part sounds good though! I may try that next time for ease of unloading.

wood

nice load and awsome saw pics cant go wrong with the red and orange bros good luck stay safe:cheers:

Latest posts

Back