goofiest saw gimmicks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Space, there was a recent thread where someone with a bad shoulder really liked the feature. Having a bad shoulder did not keep him from sawing, just starting the saw. So it does have uses.

I have no problem with any manufacturer offering features designed to fix a nonexistent problem, its when the saw is only offered with the feature installed that gets me going.

But in the interest of good taste I won't mention an example of that like the QCA on the MS 180. :)

On picture in this post.

BTW, I think it was actually inflated by compression from the cylinder, not the exhausts. No, its still strange to me...

So do I - btw I think it was called the Nordfeller attachment.

...and I find it hard to understand why anyone wanted it.......

Last edited:
The "Tool- less" chain tightening system on the new Poulan Pro saws. Has one large plastic wheel that the user is supposed to hand tighten then lock that replaces one of the bar nuts. The second stud has no nut on it. It doesn't work too well, not enough clamping force to keep the bar from moving around. The old traditional method was just fine, worked very well. I guess they figure having a "tool less" design is a selling point for chainsaw users who are not good with using uhhhh..., tools? :confused:
I got one of those saw's! I had it given to me. What a piece of crap that system is! I drilled out the cover added a extra nut and made a chain tension er for it, and of course rich end up the saw. Then went to my Jred dealer who also covers Poulan warranty work and he say's Why didn't you come here first and look through are junk bin for parts, could have saved me some work as they had a 295 mine was a 4620 with that thinging to adjust the chain. But in stock form that 4620 and the troy built saw's get my vote!

Would that "Firewood Buddy", "Saw Buddy" or whatever the heck it was that clamps to the bar to "assist" in cuttin' small branches and stuff qualify for goofy saw gimmick?

Gary

Would that "Firewood Buddy", "Saw Buddy" or whatever the heck it was that clamps to the bar to "assist" in cuttin' small branches and stuff qualify for goofy saw gimmick?

Gary
+1 I cant see what good it is, you would have to bolt it on to cut up little pieses of scrap then UN bolt it to do some felling then put it back on. Even if you used your little saw just for that purpose I personally cant think it would be any better than cutting it by putting the little log over a bigger one that's what I do:dizzy:

Not every one is a big bad logger. These so called gimiks are not for the pros any how. they are for people who need a saw but can't drop start an 088 or square file a chain, but still need a saw now and then.

I have recomended the EZ 2 Start saws to quite a few older guys who are just getting up there to far to start their old 075's and such, but still are tough enough to go out and work.

The auto sharp thing seems hoaky for the guy who can file or grind his own chain, but back when it was introduced there was not too many people who had a grinder and the auto sharp was better than nothing if you could not file.

I know a few profesional wood cutters that use the wood buddy to cut up the small stuff into fire wood instead of burning the slash or paying to dump it. It does not make sense for every one, but they live in an area that does not allow outdoor burning and to haul the limbs off is expensive. Plus they are getting as much as $400 a cord for Walnut firewood and so it makes sense. It keeps the chain out of the dirt and helps process the limbs faster.

If these things seem stupid to you now, just wait till you get up in years and we can have this discussion again. :cheers:

One of my customers is a paraplegic who uses a MS 250 with easy start to cut all the fire wood to heat his entire house. His is still very physically strong but because of the location of his paralyses no longer has the speed to pull a standard recoil. Yes I said his PARALYZED and still cuts wood from his wheelchair, ONLY because of the Easy Start feature.

One of my customers is a paraplegic who uses a MS 250 with easy start to cut all the fire wood to heat his entire house. His is still very physically strong but because of the location of his paralyses no longer has the speed to pull a standard recoil. Yes I said his PARALYZED and still cuts wood from his wheelchair, ONLY because of the Easy Start feature.

[bad joke]Does he wear steel toed boots[/bad joke]

:jester:

I agree 110%. I'll also add that not everyone should be cutting wood. :cheers:

why not? If a person assumes the risks, shouldn't they be able to cut their own wood? You are not proposing that only licensed professionals should be allowed to use a saw are you? Do we start passing laws that limits who should be allowed to cut wood? You probably believe there should be tests as to who should be allowed to own a gun. Maybe you want to take spoons away from fat people. :monkey:

im pretty sure that he meant that not everyone is skilled/safe enough to use a saw and cut there own wood, not that he wants to limit saw usage to only licensed people.

Gary

At the risk of getting kicked out of the "Left Coast Bring The Biggest Damn Saw You Can Carry Even If You Don't Need The Damn Thing Club" I gotta admit.....I own one of those things. What's worse is...I use it> Even worse than that (I can see Singr' and Gary and several others putting me on their ignore list) is the fact that I like it. Ready for the final blow? I use it on one of my 361's.

(pauses to let all the vile invective and hysterical laughter die down)

We cut a lot of almond, walnut, prune, peach and pear wood for firewood. The damn thing is great for limbs if all you're doing is cutting limbs all day.
I'm going now. Don't tell my logger buddies...okay?

Yup, let's end all the plasticy, flim-flam gadgetry and go back to the saws of old. No brakes, no EPA crap, no side tension, no in-board clutch(oh yeah, some saws didn't evolve this yet...), no plastic, no springy, rubbery AV crap, no electronic ignitions and so on. Let's just go back 50-60 years when saws were saws and men were men. A proper chainsaw should weigh a minimum of 25-30 lbs, burn 30w mixed w/leaded petro, vibrate like a jackhammer, be made completely of metal, even the fuel lines should be copper and nothing smaller than 1/2" pitch chain on 'em. Now we're talkin'.

:chainsaw: Hooooyaahhhh!:greenchainsaw: :givebeer:

Latest posts

Back