Got chosen for a CT State wood lot!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valkyrie Rider

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Here in CT, you can apply for fire wood lots in state forest land. I guess they collect all the applicants and then it's a draw system. Got the call on Thursday that I was picked and talked to the DEP guy today that picked out my lot. Only about 15 min from home!

The wood lots here are either 2 or 4 cord lots and you have to pick a "region" that you want it in.... you can only choose one though. You have to pay $30/cord Then you pick 2wd or 4wd access. Guess the lot I got is right off a gravel road... only about 100 feet even though I marked I'd take a 4X4 lot. The DEP guy said that if it's not wet/muddy I can pretty much drive right into the lot. I've also heard that you typically get a LOT more then what you pay for..... been told that you could well get 6.5-8 cords for a 4 cord lot.

It will be a couple weeks before I can start cutting as some paperwork goes back and forth.... but I'll take some pics when i get on the lot.

i got picked for it too! i got the email a few weeks ago i think ive just been waiting on the call. i cant wait i got all my saws ready to fly. wooohooo

Where is your lot, Husky?

I never got contacted by email or anything else for some reason... just when the DEP guy called saying that he was notified that I got one and he finished picking my lot. Having never done it before.... I don't know what standard practice is.

Sweet!

These were some pics of a lot near me I took last year when I was driving through the forest...this is a pretty scrubby area compared to most of our forests:

CT_State_Wood_2.jpg

CT_State_Wood_3.jpg

Here in CT, you can apply for fire wood lots in state forest land. I guess they collect all the applicants and then it's a draw system. Got the call on Thursday that I was picked and talked to the DEP guy today that picked out my lot. Only about 15 min from home!

The wood lots here are either 2 or 4 cord lots and you have to pick a "region" that you want it in.... you can only choose one though. You have to pay $30/cord Then you pick 2wd or 4wd access. Guess the lot I got is right off a gravel road... only about 100 feet even though I marked I'd take a 4X4 lot. The DEP guy said that if it's not wet/muddy I can pretty much drive right into the lot. I've also heard that you typically get a LOT more then what you pay for..... been told that you could well get 6.5-8 cords for a 4 cord lot.

It will be a couple weeks before I can start cutting as some paperwork goes back and forth.... but I'll take some pics when i get on the lot.

Congratulations!! From the pics that another member posted, the wood looks to be perfect firewood size.Not too big and not too small.Personally I try to take everything down to 3/4".Good luck from North of you in Western Mass.

I missed the deadline this year and have lots of wood from my own property so I don't really need it right now, however I am wondering if you guys know approximately how many of the applicants actually get a permit?

This is a great program. Some of the woods near me are so over loaded with wood that the trees are dying just trying to get light or are growing so high to try and reach sunlight that they get blown over in wind storms. I go for walks in a park in Old Saybrook that has a tremendous amount of wood either on the ground or standing dead. I keep thinking I will get hit by a falling limb or the whole place will go up in a forest fire. That property is owned by the nature conservancy and they don't have a program like this. They should.

Another thing you Ct. fellows might want to look into is getting a firewood permit from the Regional Water Authority.They charge a $40 permit fee $25/cord for the 1st 10 cords and then $12/cord in a given year.When you first hear from their forester they will ask you how much you want to cut and how far you want to travel to cut and they try to accommodate the best they can.Real nice folks to deal with.I have had my lot for 4 years and it is a mile from my house.Last I heard there is a pretty long waiting list,but the sooner you get on the list the sooner you can get a lot.They are Headquartered in New Haven but have property all over Ct.I know they have land well outside of New Haven county.You will definitely want a 4x4 and sometimes you have to cut a road but it has been a good deal for me so far.Starting this year you have to have all your PPE also. Happy cutting

Lucky! I just heard back from our lottery...didn't win one this year.

Never heard of anything like that. Pretty neat!!
Fishhead, depending on where in NY you are,, your local DEC might run a firewood lottery every year...Search 'firewood lottery' on the NYSDEC website

I didn't get picked either.

maybe next year.

I can't get time to split the piles I already have soi guess it worked out for the best.

I was driving thru Ct. today and admiring all the oak . must be 90% oak

Some places for certain :) The woods I grew up in were like that. My current property is a lot more mixed.

Decades of high-grading out the white oaks, there's actually a statewide shift to there being more red oaks then white oaks.

FINALLY got the paperwork to send back for my lot. Wasn't as good sounding as I'd hoped. all trees are 6-12" in diameter, black cherry, sugar maple, red maple and ONE white ash. Said it includes trees that were marked but not included in the cord count that are less then 6" in diameter. Also mentions that I can take and downed deadwood on the lot. I guess for the price it's not bad, but I hoped for better hardwoods...... not so much maple. I guess next year is another shot at a better lot...

I burn a lot of maple and cherry nothing wrong with that wood at all. The size is perfect for firewood, very little splitting required.

Latest posts

Back