Got chosen for a CT State wood lot!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sugar maple is excellent. Keep that separate for cold nights. I think cherry rots quick, so get it cut, split, and stacked asap.

From the description -- black cherry, sugar maple, and that you can drive onto the lot except if it's just been a heavy rain it sounds like a well drained site.

That's probably going to be "nice" red maple, too.

The red maple on my property that grows in the dry locations is beautiful firewood. Splits nicely. Burns pretty well green.

The red maple that has wet roots...that same species becomes "swamp maple" and is ugly, water logged, and tough to split. Seasons within a year, but miserable if burnt green.

Got started today. I went to the lot just to check it out and walk around, get familiar with the lot, access etc..... but brought the saws and stuff with me just in case I felt like starting to cut. I just received the official permit in the mail yesterday afternoon.

I cut for a bit, and quickly remembered how much work it is to be hunched over and dragging wood around. i haven't cut my own wood for a couple years now and before that it was only here and there. The J-Red 2171 RIPS though! I've very happy with it. Brought the little Stihl 021 along too and was happy I did for cleaning up the tops to pile up neat brush piles. The 021 weighs about 5lbs less.... so it was a nice break until I get used to cutting again.

By the way.... that F-250 is new to me and I was disapointed I wore out before the truck even started to squat from weight. My last F-150 was on the bump stops with that type of load..... it was really pathetic! I think this will be a great firewood hauler!

Sorry for the bad cell pics, next time I'll try to remember a real camera!

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Got started today. I went to the lot just to check it out and walk around, get familiar with the lot, access etc..... but brought the saws and stuff with me just in case I felt like starting to cut. I just received the official permit in the mail yesterday afternoon.

I cut for a bit, and quickly remembered how much work it is to be hunched over and dragging wood around. i haven't cut my own wood for a couple years now and before that it was only here and there. The J-Red 2171 RIPS though! I've very happy with it. Brought the little Stihl 021 along too and was happy I did for cleaning up the tops to pile up neat brush piles. The 021 weighs about 5lbs less.... so it was a nice break until I get used to cutting again.

By the way.... that F-250 is new to me and I was disapointed I wore out before the truck even started to squat from weight. My last F-150 was on the bump stops with that type of load..... it was really pathetic! I think this will be a great firewood hauler!

Sorry for the bad cell pics, next time I'll try to remember a real camera!

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Classic, take the boundary marker! Then you can just cut to the next marker. :clap:

Classic, take the boundary marker! Then you can just cut to the next marker. :clap:

If your talking about the paint, the blue is my lot color, the orange is from the Mingo marker.... some logs I used as props and got lots of extra orange paint on.

If you're talking about the red/white/blue, that is my CB antenna.

Connecticut State Forests are boundary marked with yellow rings around the tree trunks at breast height, plus signs.

Single yellow rings along the lines, double yellow rings mark a corner.

Latest posts

Back