Got enough $ to buy a MS880...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For big wood it will outcut a 660/395 easily. Good forcutting and splitting big rounds that are too heavy to move. The sound is awesome. (big block 2 stroke) Also you could think of it as an investment, production of the big saw could stop soon and used MS880's bring a lot of money on Ebay, especially if its well maintained. Of course you probably want to invest in stocks for a better return.

What in the world has become of us? Here a guy wants a MS880, the big daddy of all modern chainsaws, and we're trying to talk him out of it:dizzy::dizzy: We must get back to our CADlike ways guys!

I dunno,

One side agrees with getting one and calling it done, don't look back.

But looking at his saw fleet, I'd maybe using that sum for a 660 and a 361. Put the 310 on the auction block and use that $ for bars, chains oils & whatnots (or hold it back for a standby/helpers' saw) This is assuming that he's got the free treat at the Stihl Store.

He'd have a great 4-5 Stihl plan in place then, all could share the same 3/8" .050 b/c and life would be swell in Whoville.

Until he or someone needy had a 600 year old oak (Messumups Gigantus) fall in the way... and that little 660 36" is lookin puny ;)

It's a tough call, I know I couldn't justify one, unless the serious milling bug bit, or a herd of sequoias invaded NC, then an 880 would be central to those events. My 460 will kill and eat any tree on my little piece if it had to, but that's not to say opportunities for a big saw would never arise.

If I had that orange & cream golden ticket, I'd get a 260 Pro set up in 3/8, a 660 3/8 36" and a BR600. Even if I had to chip in some. I'd be all(most) set on pro outdoor equipment for the rest of my time. But would be lacking an 880. :cry:

:cheers: It's not like you have bad options here. Tough decisions.

Last edited:
I'm just a firewood cutter, but I picked up a used 088 on CL last year. I tore it down, and checked it out, cleaned it up, put it back together, ordered some little parts for it that it needed, and it's been sitting on the shelf ever since. I don't have a use for it. I haven't found anything YET that my ms440 won't do just as well or (probably) faster than the 088.

If I were to buy a new saw, it would either be a 460 or 660. The 660 will take a 36" bar and I can't imagine EVER needing more than that.

But, until I sell it, or come across a ms660 for a good price, I guess I'll just hang onto it and use it for the occasional flush cut or *very* large tree that I come across.

*But*, mine's used, I didn't pay NEAR full price for it, and it's not really losing any value sitting there. I DID however find out that just about ALL the parts for it cost an arm and a leg. If you pick one up for $500 and it needs some tlc, you could easily have $1000 in it without trying too hard.

Otay, I'm done.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Just got my bonus at work and w/ what I have left over from last year, I have enough to by a new saw...I need a MS880 like I need another hole in my head, but I want one...I could buy a 660 or a Husky ??? but I really don't have anything else I need right now to spend the money on...I have to spend it w/ some place that the company does business so the owner can right it off...What should I do?...:monkey::chainsaw::givebeer:

Buy 2 460's and send one to me:yourock:

:agree2:

you really wear them out that quick? i dont log so i have no idea

i figure if i can get a year out of a saw im doing pretty good.

the last 660 that i had lasted 15 months before the crank snapped (kind of a fluke thing) it is gonna get rebuilt and put back into service.

ive been cutting over 1,000,000 bdft a year, so 1 saw a year aint bad.

The biggest thing is my boss wants me to get last years bonus used up...I have just about got everything on my house done that needs doing and have Jeep parts sitting everywhere that need to be put on my Jeeps(a T18 tranny and Teralow 3.15 t/c kit for the 74 and a Warn winch and plate for the 04 Rubicon)...My wife really does not care :laugh: (it's my run it like you stole it money) what I do w/ the money and I enjoy my saws as much as my Jeeps...Just have the $ right now and I never have this much just burning the hole in the pocket...I could swing a 660 w/ the mess of saws laying on the garage floor if i choose to sell them...:bang::bang::bang:

Just got my bonus at work and w/ what I have left over from last year, I have enough to by a new saw...I need a MS880 like I need another hole in my head, but I want one...I could buy a 660 or a Husky ??? but I really don't have anything else I need right now to spend the money on...I have to spend it w/ some place that the company does business so the owner can right it off...What should I do?...:monkey::chainsaw::givebeer:

What should you do? Well, buy a chainsaw, of course. Having both a 660 and an 084, I would definitely get a 660, unless you need to spend 1800.00, at which point an 880 begins to make a lot of sense. How are you at swinging around 30+ lbs of chainsaw? (that is more than two "stone," one stone being fourteen lbs.)? I know I am not really large enough to swing one of those suckers around for more than a few minutes at a time, but the 660 is quite comfortable, actually.

YOu are in an enviable position......Enjoy, and of course post pics!:rock:

What should you do? Well, buy a chainsaw, of course. Having both a 660 and an 084, I would definitely get a 660, unless you need to spend 1800.00, at which point an 880 begins to make a lot of sense. How are you at swinging around 30+ lbs of chainsaw? (that is more than two "stone," one stone being fourteen lbs.)? I know I am not really large enough to swing one of those suckers around for more than a few minutes at a time, but the 660 is quite comfortable, actually.

YOu are in an enviable position......Enjoy, and of course post pics!:rock:

I stand 6'5" and weigh in at a svelte 230lbs...I love running old heavy saws, and the odds of me finding enough big wood to run it in on a regular basis is far to none...The 660 is probably the better option for what I will ever do, but posting the pics of a NEW 880 would be shweeet...

There are other orange and white creamsickle options to consider too. You might expand your lineup to include the BR 600 (noted in an earlier post) and and FS 250. You'd still have enough to swing most of an MS 660. Not sure if I saw an MS 200T in your sig but you could get the trimmer, the blower and the ultimate arborist saw and still have money left over....... The 660 can wait until next year's bonus.

Think how complete life would be with all those creamsickles in your fleet!:rock::rock:

if it's a want vs need thing... then by all means go for the 880!

but MS 660 makes way more sense and will likely be actually used.

got both an 064 and 084... the 084 with 4ft bar sits and looks pretty. while 064 does the grunt work!

why not get a new MS660, then find a clean 084 to satisfy your big saws needs.
084's without question delivers the max bang for the $$$. it's not unusual to find a clean 084 for under $700.

Last edited:
I own an 088, love it for milling and the occasional stump that is to high for the winched log. In a 36" or above mill nothing is close. I mill both hard and soft wood with it, it does fine... I have tried the 288 in the mill, fine for small stuff, but not great for large.

The 088/880 is heavy. We all talk about the best bar combo for balance. If they made a Stihl ES bar out of helium, it might make the best balance for the chassis, so if you buy that saw, it won't be for ease of use. If you need a big damn saw in the arsenal, nothing comes close.

Jason

WOW, what are you thinking. Just buy the bastid.

Your never going to need it, so what. I don't need that 50bmg in my safe, but I wanted it. Will I ever need the increased power over my 375H&H, nope. BUT I DON'T CARE.

Back