Got 'er Done! Finsished Truck Paint and Graphics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm about as far as one could be Jeff, but keep me posted on the demise. Looking to expand this year and that may be one way to go.

Here is one in Floridia, long way to have shipped, or drive

1997 GMC Chipper Dump Truck

I started looking as I wanted a paid excuse to knock off and go to floridia during spring break, Ha not this year so good for some one.
Paul

Looks like a steal. Not quite sure how I would get it from FL to CA though, or if it would even pass smog in CA. If anyone has suggestions, I'm open.

Fly out and drive back,
Uship.com
hire a driver
may be cheeper to Ship it on a boat
to damn far for me and Im in the middle I bought an old truck from James in FW and had it Ushiped for 500 but that is only 300miles you are looking at 2000 at 1.50-2.50 a mile, so may be cheeper to drive it, mabey you could get a haul back, paid to haul (ship) something back with you, not sure wish it were in SA,
Paul

Fly out and drive back,
Uship.com
hire a driver
may be cheeper to Ship it on a boat
to damn far for me and Im in the middle I bought an old truck from James in FW and had it Ushiped for 500 but that is only 300miles you are looking at 2000 at 1.50-2.50 a mile, so may be cheeper to drive it, mabey you could get a haul back, paid to haul (ship) something back with you, not sure wish it were in SA,
Paul

Thanks Paul.

a few I found. # 3 looks particularly good but you will need to modify the box as it has been modified - or you can buy another asplundh take-off box and install it.

1997 International Chip Truck

1997 GMC C5500 ASPLUNDH TRUCK 55K MILES

1999 GMC Dump Truck C6500

Or you could look for a short-frame (16') c6500 cab and chassis or box truck with a tommy gate (which means it has a pto). You can buy an asplundh box and hoist and install it behind a 5' platform and you're set to go. Maybe a little more work and $ but you can find a truck that meets CA emissions and maybe a diesel or automatic. Just a thought. Box trucks are easy to come by...

AP

actually, I didnt' see that #1 was a diesel. For $12k, that one looks pretty decent. Already has good paint - just remove the mancab, install mini platform and you're set to go. Probably have $15-17k into the truck when done.

AP

a few I found. # 3 looks particularly good but you will need to modify the box as it has been modified - or you can buy another asplundh take-off box and install it.

1997 International Chip Truck

1997 GMC C5500 ASPLUNDH TRUCK 55K MILES

1999 GMC Dump Truck C6500

Or you could look for a short-frame (16') c6500 cab and chassis or box truck with a tommy gate (which means it has a pto). You can buy an asplundh box and hoist and install it behind a 5' platform and you're set to go. Maybe a little more work and $ but you can find a truck that meets CA emissions and maybe a diesel or automatic. Just a thought. Box trucks are easy to come by...

AP
Awesome. Thank you Scott. I tried to send you some rep, but it says I have to spread it to others before I can give you rep again. I'll get you next time. Thanks for the leg work. That diesel does look pretty sweet.

Our version of the combo truck

Hey Arbor Pro,

Finally got some time to post some pics of our conversion. We took delivery a a month or so ago, and have been putting it to hard work. We went with a S800 that we've had for a year, and figured out a way to drive on with the bucket, detach it on a rack, and tuck the machine under. The bed is 14'x8'x6', with the top being detachable with a few bolts (we haven't used that yet). We also carry 10 or 11 Trak Mats behind the cab, doubles as a headache rack for the machine.

Works really well, unfortunately we goofed on the gearing and are going to have to replace the 4.11's with 4.88's. Would much rather the 6plus1 instead of the sixer it's got too. Live and learn;)

Let us know what you think!

https://plus.google.com/photos/1163...ms/5741731669930258241?authkey=CPaBlJydhbzPYA

Hey Arbor Pro,

Finally got some time to post some pics of our conversion. We took delivery a a month or so ago, and have been putting it to hard work. We went with a S800 that we've had for a year, and figured out a way to drive on with the bucket, detach it on a rack, and tuck the machine under. The bed is 14'x8'x6', with the top being detachable with a few bolts (we haven't used that yet). We also carry 10 or 11 Trak Mats behind the cab, doubles as a headache rack for the machine.

Works really well, unfortunately we goofed on the gearing and are going to have to replace the 4.11's with 4.88's. Would much rather the 6plus1 instead of the sixer it's got too. Live and learn;)

Let us know what you think!

https://plus.google.com/photos/1163...ms/5741731669930258241?authkey=CPaBlJydhbzPYA

Awesome set up! I like your ramps.

Yup, nice set up. So, you had a bucket truck and removed the bucket to build it? Did you not need the bucket truck anymore or buy the truck with this intention?
Curious about one thing. It seem's the axle's are barely meeting a balance point for the dump bed. Pic's, I know are deceiving, but I bet you gotta make sure you do not overload the back. Anyway, nice.
Jeff

Useless man cab

Wow I drive the same truck with the useless man cab every day. If there was a back saver loader like that their instead I would be so happy. The only thing I ever put in their is ropes when their wet and cases of water.

IMO having it with you all the time instead of on a different trailer will get you a ton more use out of it. Like all those jobs we do when boss man says no don't bring the bobcat you won't need it and we end up man loading a whole truck of heavy rounds.

I'm printing your pictures and telling him I want one.

Truck looks great.

Nice job on the chip truck Arbor Pro!

Chrisdafer, I just can't climb when nature calls, and I got tired of the groundies and I wasting time running out of the neighborhood to the local gas station to use the restroom. I'm turning the "useless man cab" into a mobile John like in a motorhome, complete with water tank and sink well. It's gonna save me a ton of time and money.

Lovin that truck! It looks super pro!

Our man cab gets used for a water cooler, some ropes, some plywood and tires(which aren't any fun loading and unloading) and... yep that's about it! Oh! Our faller did his emergency nature calls in there last year(don't ask me about his setup) it wasn't pretty! I said no more of that nastiness and now he's drivin around in the other truck lookin for porta-potties all the time! We are never close to gas stations or other convenient spots. I don't get these guys that just can't get regular, ya know! Bugs me though that he always has to leave the job site... For all I know he's up to more than just nature calls...:confused:
Think I maybe had to leave the job one time all last year. With this guy it's daily!?!
Definitely can't climb or work at all though when you gotta go....
He's the only one on our crew that seems to have this problem. I guess dropping all that big wood must just scare the crap out of him.:hmm3grin2orange:

pm me a price and specs on the chip truck plz

I tried to PM you but the message got deleted somehow. Truck is a 2000 with low miles. 5spd with the big 7.4L gas engine. Pulls great - plenty of power to pull a big chipper. Lots of toolbox storage. Feel free to call me at 605.228.9350. scott - AP

Back